Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu POSS: guessing/incorrect penalties

Author Topic: POSS: guessing/incorrect penalties  (Read 11765 times)

naycha

POSS: guessing/incorrect penalties
« on: Sep 21, 2007, 01:24 »
I recently took the POSS exam for a job at Diablo Canyon. There were 5 tests, 4 with penalties for guessing and/or getting questions wrong.

I thought I did pretty well. I worked quickly and many times (most of the time) used "process of elimination" to determine the correct answer. For example on the assembly part, I initially looked at just two pieces, visualized how they should look assembled and then looked at the answers, crossing out the choices that didn't match. I continued to do this until there was only once choice left. I never fully assembled the parts and so I don't really know for sure that my answer was correct but moved on to the next one because of the time pressure.

I also worked the questions until I knew the correct answer was between 2 choices. I looked a bit more carefully at the 2 and then chose the one I thought was best. But again I was not 100% sure my answer was right.

I thought both ways of doing this exam were reasonable strategies.

That is until I found out how the penalties are accessed. I was told by a woman who heads a program at a technical community college which specifically prepares people for POSS examination that for every question wrong, they subtract twice that number from the number correct. For example, if I answered all the questions on a 20 question section and if I got 15 correct and 5 wrong, my score is 5 (15 - 2 x 5). If I had slowed down a bit, making sure what I had answered was correct, I may have gotten 15 correct and 1 wrong (a silly mistake) for a score of 13 (15 - 2 x 1). This is a huge difference given the same number correct! Working quickly but insuring absolutely accuracy would be the best test-taking method.

My question is ... is this penalty information correct? When scores are determined, do they, indeed subtract twice the number wrong from the number correct?

Rene

Fermi2

Re: POSS: guessing/incorrect penalties
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2007, 02:04 »
I'm not sure, on the other hand answering 15 and getting them all correct may not have helped you as you need to complete a certain amount of questions to get it graded.

Mike

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2007, 09:22 »
Working quickly but insuring absolutely accuracy would be the best test-taking method.

It also comes in handy when taking logs and standing watch.

naycha

« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2007, 10:45 »

I'm not sure, on the other hand answering 15 and getting them all correct may not have helped you as you need to complete a certain amount of questions to get it graded.

Do you have any idea what those threshold numbers are for each section of the test? Or where I might find out?

Rene

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2007, 03:25 »
Heck if I know, I just took that out of the equation by doing them all.

Mike

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2007, 07:46 »
I am not sure how the test works.  When I took mine, I completed all the sections except the graphing section.  I left 3 questions on that part unanswered.  I knew that there was a penalty for incorrect answers and did not "C" out.  The best thing to do is get as many questions correct.

Drill yourself relentlessly on the POSS if you have to retake it.  I would have a friend make up questions similar to the practice tests.  I had my wife make up about 4 practice tests and I solved them in stress situations over the weekend before my test.  The more you practice, the better prepared you will be for the test.  Get a stop watch/ timer and slowly reduce the amount of time you have to take each practice section.
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2007, 07:48 by Nutty Neutron »

mrrobb

« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2007, 12:53 »
Has anybody who took the POSS at Diablo recently heard anything back yet?

I took it 9/8 and have yet to hear anything.
(They gave us the number to call but said to wait 3 weeks before calling)

???

naycha

« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2007, 01:09 »
My friend and I, who both took the exam for the job at Diablo on 9/8, have not heard the results yet either. These are scantrons, right? I'm not sure why it would take them so long to send out the results. Perhaps I'm just being impatient.

I'm glad there are practice tests available; I did them under test-taking conditions. I have a decent background in mathematics, in mechanics and with reading comprehension and felt fully prepared. I worked quickly, was rarely stumped, finished all the questions expect 7 (4 on the assembly part and 3 on the "following the line" section). When I left the exam, I didn't think I could have done any better, even if I were to take it again with loads of additional preparations. I was confident.

That is until I learned a fragment of how it is graded. Why isn't the grading policy fully explained? Why are they, seemingly, so secretive about it? Most of the information I get about grading, not just from this site, are vague, rumors or guesses. Knowing the specifics, would and will help me greatly. If there is anyone who truly knows the facts about the grading, I'm definitely ready to listen closely.

Rene

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2007, 04:18 »
Weren't you just told you needed to complete a certain amount of questions in order to even get it graded? Quit your whining and the next time just complete the whole section and get the guesswork out of it.

In most places HR has to approve the results and this takes time. IIRC when you take the test at TVA it takes about 4 weeks.

Mike

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2007, 09:14 »
In most places HR has to approve the results and this takes time. IIRC when you take the test at TVA it takes about 4 weeks.

Mike

Hmmm, buncha house folks took the POSS last week here (internal post & bid) - had results the same day. When I took the tech test to hire on, results after lunch, interview immediately afterwards.... :)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2007, 10:09 »
When I took it at FPL we had the results an hour later after they gave us lunch. I was amazed that over half the room went away.  They never told us about practice exams or anything.  Just come by and take this test for us.  They had those is us that were left interview that day and then took up to dinner that night.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?