Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Career Advice - Medical Physics or Health Physics? Nuclear Engineering?  

Author Topic: Career Advice - Medical Physics or Health Physics? Nuclear Engineering?  (Read 21575 times)

Cfrr

Anyone here have any experience over in the Medical Physics side of things? I currently have a BS in nuclear engineering, and I was thinking about getting a MS in medical physics. Now for me, the BS was all about learning something I love - all things nuclear. On top of my core NE courses I also took a lot of RHP stuff. With grad school though, I am looking a lot more at the return on my investment. I am equally interested in production/power facilities as I am a hospital setting. I was told by many folks that medical physicists are in high demand and make 'phenomenal' salaries with great opportunities after you become certified. Earlier this week I was talking with some folks at the DOE on the RHP end of the nuclear industry, and they tell me that generally health physicists at a plant/production facility will end up doing much better than a medical physicist.

I have been to power plants, worked at a national lab, and shadowed a medical physicist, so I have a pretty good idea what I would be in for with each different path with respect to the work involved. I am really wondering at this point what would be the best option for a solid career with respect to employment availability, earning potential and advancement/growth. Opinions?

Rad Sponge

Do what brings you personal happiness.

That may seem a little evasive, but its the foundation for a long lasting career.

I've worked in Nuclear Medicine (Plant Heath Physicist) and Commercial Chemistry (Nuke Plant Chemistry) as well as the Navy stuff and after 11.5 years, I think your choice should be based on which type of work is the most fun for you.

You can choose by paycheck, prestige, or passion.

Choose wisely.

Jason

Cfrr

I hear ya. Unfortunately I think part of my issue is that the stuff I really like a lot seems to be more technician type jobs, but getting the bachelors put me so far into debt that I feel like I have to bring in an engineering level salary or better (at least for a good 10 years). Engineering seems horribly boring so far, just sitting in a cubicle running MCNP or Atilla or whatever all day. I really need to get out and get my hands dirty, see things, wear some dosimetry, suit up and get some dose  :P Id rather do that for 60+ hours a week than run code all day for 40 hrs, pay being equal.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2007, 09:25 by Cfrr »

Rad Sponge

Do what you gotta do to be financially solvent.

Everyone has to pay the piper.

How old are you?

wlrun3@aol.com

http://www.hps1.org/aahp/chpnews/news0412.htm#salary

...please name and describe the reactor shown on your posting...

Rad Sponge

http://www.hps1.org/aahp/chpnews/news0412.htm#salary

I think that is the reactor from Star Wars, the one Ben Kenobi shutdown.

;D

Cfrr

Do what you gotta do to be financially solvent.

Everyone has to pay the piper.

How old are you?

Im 31, and Ive had my BS for a little more than 3 weeks now..

Its the Advanced Test Reactor (ATR) located up at Idaho National Lab. Light water, 250 MW thermal. They used it to make Pu-238 for RTGs.

http://www.inl.gov/featurestories/2004-11-01.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Test_Reactor

wlrun3@aol.com

dhanarajesh1

Thank you for sharing

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?