Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The rumors were true.... $90000 for the ET!

Author Topic: The rumors were true.... $90000 for the ET!  (Read 18704 times)

Arcturus87

The rumors were true.... $90000 for the ET!
« on: Oct 04, 2007, 03:46 »
I just talked to my departmental career counselor today about my reenlistment.  I had heard the rumor that the cap and multiple was going up for the ET's, apparently it is true.  The cap is now $90000 (previously $75000) and the multiple is now 10.0 (was 9.0).  I was planning on star reenlisting on October 19, as indicated by one of my previous posts.  The career counselor gave me the advice to wait until my 3 year point, do a different reenlistment for 5 years and cap out for sure. For any one that doesn't know already, you can calculate your bonus by (base pay)(multiple)(years of reenlistment - years until EAOS as listed on your LES).  I can't confirm what the new numbers are for EM's, MM's, and ELT's, but other people were saying they didn't change. If you know your NEC, you can check http://www.navyadvancement.com/navy-news/index.php?s=01d1d4c14b083701d000b69653b2cce7&showtopic=561&pid=4309&st=0&#entry4309.

ddklbl

Re: The rumors were true.... $90000 for the ET!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2007, 09:26 »
+NUC 3363 +10.0 +8.5 0.0 8

Hmmmm....  Let's see now...

3055.20 X 8.5 X (35/12) = $75743.50 for three more years on this plateau

or

Enjoying new challenges for the rest of my life.

Seriously, good luck for you if this is truly your calling.  But don't ever do anything for the money.  There is a reason why the multiples keep going up.  Look that Gift Horse square in the mouth and ask yourself why are they going up.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007, 09:30 by ddklbl »

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2007, 09:33 »
Is the answer, no takers?
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

landlubber

« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2007, 07:48 »
But don't ever do anything for the money. 
I would amend that statement: Don't ever do anything just for the money.

If it weren't for the Navy nuke bonuses, there would be a lot more Gunner's Mates. There are a lot more fun jobs in the Navy than standing overpressure watch.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2007, 11:04 »
I would amend that statement: Don't ever do anything just for the money.

If it weren't for the Navy nuke bonuses, there would be a lot more Gunner's Mates. There are a lot more fun jobs in the Navy than standing overpressure watch.

Do it for the money, use the Navy for every damn qualification, certification, edujumication, contact, whatever you can get.

Serve your country, all that, and keep your nose clean.

In 6 years, 8 years, whatever, you will have a resume that will keep you employed for the rest of your life.

s1wlightning@msn.com

« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2007, 01:12 »
arcturus87,

Let me know when it gets over half a million, I might think about going back in... maybe.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2007, 06:38 »
Damn them for waiving this carrot in front of me while I try to make the decision stay in or get out. Since the 90k cap applies to both MM (real ones) and ET for both zones A and B this is a good think (except it means than manning sucks) I ran the STAR numbers for both, ETs get good money for star but MMs dont come near the cap (about mid 50s) however both have no problem caping for zone B. The problem is you take zone B your in for life. I am only going to be 3 months shy of 10 anyway but this just made a hard decision harder (I think that was the point)

s1wlightning@msn.com

« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2007, 08:02 »
Why would it make it any harder?  First off, it's just money and to me I would rather have my OWN life back and not have some prick ridicule me about my sideburn being 1/4'' too long or get yelled at for having my hands in my pocket, or how 'bout going home every night to sleep in your own bed?  Besides, if money is so important as to make a huge decision like this, why do you think they pay so much for star re-enlistment?  Because no one will take it cause they would rather get out and make real money.  Besides, I just got out about a month ago and I am doing the whole job search thing.  The going rate for a navy nuke getting out if they stay in nuke power is about $75-80k in the area I am looking at.  A friend of mine just got hired at Point Beach for $82K a year, 12% bonus per year and signing.  He was an MM2.  So, if you do the math, as an MM2 realistically you make let's say $42-44k a year, and that is being very generous.  So a difference of about $40-42k a year, in a two year star, which I believe an MM2 will get maybe 40k before taxes (if that), you could make that in about a year in the civilian world.  Bottom line there is no reason why you should even think about money as a reason for re-enlisting.  I hate it when Junior NUBS re-enlist even before being senior-in-rate and then complain about it later, 'cause they are the ones that do it the most.  Always 807 or FTN or just complaining about work and taking it out on everyone else by not working 'cause they "hate the navy so much".  If you re-enlist it should go something like this:

"Man, I really like what I am doing for my country and believe in what I am doing.  I like my job and can't see myself doing anything else.  I think I will re-enlist, oh... what's this... a bonus!"

or

"Man, I really suck at life and am too much of a piece of crap and too lazy to be of any use to any legitimate company.  I think I will re-enlist 'cause I can't perform at anything else in life unless it involves sitting down on a couch."
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007, 12:32 by landlubber »

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2007, 08:27 »
Money isn't the principal factor. Some days I love what I do. This is a job of extreams both high and low some days are great and some are the worst you have encountered. The problem in this comunity is we have convinced ourselves that we have the hardes job in the Navy, we don't. The more time I spend around convential surface ships the more Im glad Im not a GSE, GSM, EN, MM ect. These small surface ships have harder lives than any CVN they are happier though because the crew has some comrodery. The other factor to consider is how long do you want to work. While a E6 pension will not allow you to stop working at 39 it will alow you to have a job you might actualy enjoy and not care that it only pays 30k a year.

You are right no one should do this for just the money. You will be a bitter detrament to the division and will not make rate.

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2007, 11:19 »
I would say your "the hardest job in the Navy" comment would apply if you are coming from a Surface ship and see what your non-nuke engineering rates do.  There are many times I have wondered if I would have enjoyed things a bit more if I went surface ELT instead of being on a sub.  I still would wager pretty good money that being on a fast attack would qualify as one of the hardest and/or crappiest jobs in the Navy. 

In the long run however, I will probably make up the lost bonuses I never signed up for by a fair amount and with relative ease.  So surface or sub, this argument will probably still boil down to $$ vs quality of life.  And realistically it is a lot of dough to extend your current enlistment by a few years.  Just think of it like the old Snickers commercials, "Not going Anywhere for a While?" ;D

LaFeet

« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2007, 10:09 »
Too bad the zone C multiplier is Zilch... I might consider dropping my resume in the Navys lap

As for your choice... chose well... and if you do sign - Invest your money

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2007, 01:29 »
Too bad the zone C multiplier is Zilch... I might consider dropping my resume in the Navys lap

As for your choice... chose well... and if you do sign - Invest your money
zone C for nuc is covered by ESRP not SRB http://www.npc.navy.mil/Enlisted/CommunityManagers/Nuclear/ESRP_SRB.htm
 however the rule in ESRP for a 200k lifetime cap is still in affect so if like my case you got 42k zone A then 90k zone B you can only get 68k zone C and no zone D

Rad Sponge

« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2007, 03:13 »
Blimey, I was just reconsidering dropping my papers to get on the next fast attack out of Groton. Darn Zone A and Zone B, darn cap limits, I was so close, so so close.

So so so so close.

What luck, what will I do now?

Mea Culpa, mea culpa.

;)

Fermi2

« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2007, 04:02 »
No matter what you end up losing money as compared with the commercial world. I liked the Navy when I was in but knowing what I know now you'd never get me to reenlist and I'm not one of those guys who does this just for the money.

Mike
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2007, 07:04 by landlubber »

s1wlightning@msn.com

« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2007, 04:13 »
No matter what you end up losing money as compared with the commercial world. I liked the Navy when I was in but knowing what I know now you'd never get me to reenlist and I;m not one of those guys who does this just for the money.

Mike

Now this guy knows what he is talking about.  If I could give you Karma I would. 

Adam

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2007, 04:31 »
Now this guy knows what he is talking about.  If I could give you Karma I would. 

Adam

$36.50/year for a Gold Membership (~$3/month).... cheap  :)

s1wlightning@msn.com

« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2007, 09:33 »
$36.50/year for a Gold Membership (~$3/month).... cheap  :)

Cheap!!! I just got promoted to civilian yesterday and still unemployed!!!  I'll tell you what, when I get my first paycheck at a Nuclear Power Plant I'll become a gold member, but no sooner.

Adam

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2007, 10:01 »
Karma to ya, and best of luck on the job search!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #18 on: Oct 11, 2007, 06:57 »
Cheap!!! I just got promoted to civilian yesterday and still unemployed!!!  I'll tell you what, when I get my first paycheck at a Nuclear Power Plant I'll become a gold member, but no sooner.

Adam

That would be excellent timing!
And you will be employed sooner than you could negotiate your next set of orders.  :o
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

LaFeet

« Reply #19 on: Oct 12, 2007, 10:52 »
No matter what you end up losing money as compared with the commercial world. I liked the Navy when I was in but knowing what I know now you'd never get me to reenlist and I'm not one of those guys who does this just for the money.

Mike

Gotta agree with you Mikey... I stuck it out and got my Blue Card.... I now work maybe 8 months a year and easily triple my navy salary with all those extra pays.

Thanks to those of you that served.... good luck with your future

s1wlightning@msn.com

« Reply #20 on: Oct 12, 2007, 06:37 »
Well Marlin, looks like I will be getting that gold membership sooner than later.  I just accepted an offer from Exelon as a Mechanical Maintenance First Line Supervisor at their Marseilles, IL plant.  It's gonna be nice to start working again, been off for a month and I am going crazy.  Oh, by the way, I got set up with a lady from HR at Exelon from talking to people at this site.  So without Nukeworker.com I wouldn't have talked to people that got me in touch with HR at Exelon and would have never interview for the position and would never have gotten the offer.  So, I would like to say thanks to everyone at Nukeworker.com.

Adam

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 14, 2007, 03:43 »
Well Marlin, looks like I will be getting that gold membership sooner than later.  I just accepted an offer from Exelon as a Mechanical Maintenance First Line Supervisor at their Marseilles, IL plant.  It's gonna be nice to start working again, been off for a month and I am going crazy.  Oh, by the way, I got set up with a lady from HR at Exelon from talking to people at this site.  So without Nukeworker.com I wouldn't have talked to people that got me in touch with HR at Exelon and would have never interview for the position and would never have gotten the offer.  So, I would like to say thanks to everyone at Nukeworker.com.

Adam

Congratulations and good luck.

Mike has put many hours into this site and has pretty much given those posting here free reign within reason. I think you will enjoy the benefits of Gold Membership with expanded access. My favorite is PolySci, and of course you can catch up on the Karma thing.

Marlin

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2007, 06:32 »
I just accepted an offer from Exelon as a Mechanical Maintenance First Line Supervisor at their Marseilles, IL plant.  It's gonna be nice to start working again

I am confused. Are you going to be a Supervisor or working?  8)

Congratulations! Make sure Exelon is searching for more Navy Nukes after they get you!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?