Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu RO oppurtunties / decisions honeypot

Author Topic: RO oppurtunties / decisions  (Read 5699 times)

nukemonkey

RO oppurtunties / decisions
« on: Oct 12, 2007, 10:04 »
I'm a nuke ET qualifying RO in Ballston Spa. I recently decided against any reenlistment because I want more time to work on my degree on my own terms. Does being an RO boost my future civilian pay prospects? I was also thinking that when I'm out I should use my GI bill / free state tuition (MA) to get a nuke engineering degree or should I start working while taking classes even though it would take longer to get the degree? When I qualify NLO / RO what can I expect realistically in terms of pay and does getting that engineering degree really help me (also I know this is common but what would I make in quals? like 50-60k??). I'm not real quick or smart like some of my fellow nukes so I probably won't get EWS without re-enlisting, which I no longer want to do. Hmmm I'd really LIKE to make 100k once when I'm qualified civilian but I've read that can be just a carrot dangled in front of prospective nuke recruits. Also does anyone know about oppurtunities at Seabrook Station in NH???? That would be an OUTSTANDING location for me to work for personal reasons.

Any advice would be appreciated. (I'm actually kinda scared to be eaten alive by senior khaki or jaded people for some reason, I'm pretty new to this site. Please don't eat me. Thanks.)

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2007, 10:06 by nukemonkey »

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
Re: RO oppurtunties / decisions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2007, 10:47 »
Technicians/operators who were not in the Navy and who do not have college degrees can make >$100K at non-union commercial plants.
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2007, 12:23 »
The short answer is no, being an RO does not help you at all in the commercial world.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2007, 12:45 »
And to add to what Mike said, there are a million of these posts on the site. Just search. And, you are correct... right now at my plant base for NLO is 57000 but all of the guys I know are making 100K once they are fully qualified. And, everyone of them can perform and understand way more about their plant than any (typical) navy nuke does about their plant. Add to that the fact that a commercial plant is a billion times more complicated and you see that no, qualifying RO in the navy doesn't in fact make any difference in the commercial world. You will start at NLO just like everyone else... ex Navy or not.

Justin

rlbinc

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2007, 04:12 »
"oppurtunties"? Yeah, we got that. I'll be looking forward to reading your log entries. You are definitely SRO material.

Kev3399

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2007, 04:58 »
Everyone posted so far has good advice and information. A navy nuke is a navy nuke when it comes to your transition to the commercial industry. However, being a Reactor Operator/Supervisor in the Navy can determine where you begin in the commercial industry.(ie NLO or SRO) The NRC has specific guidance for instant SRO eligibility requirements. The following is copied from the NRC Website.

"Applicants for an SO position who do not hold a bachelor's degree in engineering or the equivalent should have held an operator's license and should have been actively involved in the performance of licensed duties for at least one year or have at least two years of military experience in a position equivalent to a licensed reactor operator."

Now, some might debate what "two years of military experience in a position equivalent to a licensed reactor operator" actually is. There is an INPO document that has a flow chart in it detailing what equivalent experience is according to them. I'm assuming almost all utilities follow this guidance. Essentially that two years is Navy RO or EWS/PPWS at sea. That is the bare minimum. Most utilities will also want some additional supervisory talents/skills/experience to go along with that. For example I was an 8 year ETC qualified EOOW at NPTU Charleston with no degree. I was hired for a SRO candidate position and am currently in my 6 month window prior to beginning initial licensing training.

So to answer your questions, you have many opportunities in the future. It all depends on what you want to do between now and when you exit the Navy. Strive for that SRO position(ie qualify EWS or EOOW and/or get a degree) or finish off your time in the Navy and begin your commercial career as an NLO? Its really up to you and what you want to do. There are pros and cons for both paths. Neither one is better than the other. I had job offers from both, NLO and SRO. I chose SRO because I believe that path fits me better in the long run. I'm one of those people that takes the road less traveled and goes for the ultimate challenge. As far as the money part, sort of depends on the utility.......but no matter what, its better than what the government will give you.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2007, 08:22 »
Most navy nukes that go to a commercial plant when they get out start as a plant operator, which is about the same job as a machinist mate. Once you are fully qualified you can put in for license class. That's usually when the backstabbing starts. If you are hot and have a degree you might have a slight chance of an STA position. I know of a couple guys at Calvert that are STA but they did a few years as a PO first. Once you have proven yourself as a licensed operator you have the opportunity to be a Senior Reactor Operator. The problem with that is you become a monthly employee and are expected to work more than 40hours/week. It's great for the resume and the bonus is good too but a licensed operator with OT makes more than a SRO. We have a licensed operator here that is an overtime hound that makes 150k a year but here pretty much lives at the plant. He pays off FICA by September. I personally like 40 hours/ week and 80K a year. For you guys getting out that aren't independently wealthy, you will need a lot of OT just to buy a house around here. I could not afford my own house right now if I were to purchase it now. Good luck to you. Don't let the Navy tell you there is no work out here. Calvert is always looking for plant operators. It may not be posted but they are alwats looking
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2007, 08:58 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2007, 09:38 »
I forgot to mention Calvert is a non-union plant. I'm sure license class selection is different at a union plant.

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2007, 11:00 »
The short answer is no, being an RO does not help you at all in the commercial world.

Mike

We actually had a Navy RO fail out of my non-licensed class at usta-plant.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?