Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Considering switching careers honeypot

Author Topic: Considering switching careers  (Read 10166 times)

phlavmech

Considering switching careers
« on: Oct 14, 2007, 06:08 »
Hello all,
    I am currently considering of switching my career as an airline aircraft mechanic (10 years exp.) into the nuclear power generation field. So I am wondering what schooling I need to do and what are the career fields I can choose in this industry. I am mainly interested in maintenance part of the field but am interested in seeing what else the field has to offer. Can anyone please help narrow my search and show me what path I should take. Thank you for your info.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Considering switching careers
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2007, 07:29 »
i'd read thru alot of the threads in the career forum

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,46.0.html

from there, explore some of the other threads.  there's info already here in any aspect of nuke power you want, from power generation facilities thru medical.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2007, 01:22 »
As a pilot and a nukeworker I would advise you to stay with aviation.  If you are an A&P I would advise getting your inspection authorization long before trying to become a nuclear mechanic.

phlavmech

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2007, 04:13 »
Trust me, changing careers is one of the last things I want to do, but, honestly (from my expierence) having an A&P even with an IA(IA is worthless in the airline industry) really doesnt pay well. As it stands right now a 2nd year auto mechanic makes more than an expierenced A&P. Unfortunately, cause of what happened at september 11th, it has been really hard trying to find a reasonable salary to support a family in the southeast Pennslyvania area. The airline industry was paying real well prior to that and if you were with a company prior to 9/11/2001 for more than 15 years, well your somewhat set right now. So, that is why I am here, trying to research and see if this field is a viable option and secure one( another bad quality airlines have). I will tell you right now, that an A&P with my expierence makes between 30-35k a year. What does a NLO make with 1 year exp?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2007, 06:57 »
I will tell you right now, that an A&P with my expierence makes between 30-35k a year. What does a NLO make with 1 year exp?

Depending on the plant, $60-100K. But I am assuming 1 year experience AFTER qualifications / training completed (1-2 years). But starting pay is $40K plus at every plant today for the training program.

Are you willing to relocate? You aren't too far from quite a few nukes, but perhaps not commuting distance. Look at the  http://www.nukeworker.com/maps/ page and go to Region I. Then see how far it is to the different sites (Hope Creek / Salem, Limerick, Susquehanna, TMI). Then begin your search in earnest.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

phlavmech

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2007, 03:57 »
Thanks for the info, from what I've seen, Limerick would be the closest to me. Now you said you need training for that line of work. Could you specify what training is neccesary? Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have read from this website, NLO are the blue collar workers who maintain the plant. I ask cause this is the part I am most interested in. I can say I might have similiar expierence from working as an A&P from a basic mechanical stand point of view. Is it possible that exp. may qualify a bit?

As far as travel, well I'm in the airline business, it's what we do.  ;D

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2007, 03:59 »
No they don't just maintain the plant, and they aren't simply mechanics, NLOs are jacks of all trades and have to have the breadth of knowledge as the reactor operators.

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2007, 06:25 »
Thanks for the info, from what I've seen, Limerick would be the closest to me. Now you said you need training for that line of work. Could you specify what training is neccesary?

The training that is needed will be provided by the company if you are hired. Which means you have to search for job postings and apply. Then you will have to take the entrance test (POSS testing by EEI) before you get an opportunity to interview to show you have the right stuff.

Each of these phases of the hiring process have been discussed on this board. If you have a specific question, feel free to bring it here.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2007, 10:15 »
I know guys who have gotten NLO jobs just because they interviewed well and had "something intangible" to offer.  It isn't the norm, but it isn't out of the realm of possibility either.  If you know somebody and interview well, it is possible.  Especially if you know someone at the plant that can vouch for your character.  Some of these plants need NLOs.  They don't want to hire someone who may be highly qualified but is going to whine and moan and be a problem.  Especially a union plant; they want to make sure they get good people because it is so hard to get rid of dead weight in the union.  It may take you way longer to learn the ropes, but if you shine in other areas besides experience/specific know-how, you may get on the list.  One way to do it: go to the library and learn and read about pressurized water reactors and boiling water reactors before you attempt an interview, especially if you only want to work at one plant.  Learn the basics of a nuclear reaction.  You could even get the study material on basic nuclear physics here at nukeworker.  That kind of thing will go a long way in an interview, MAYBE. Some plants target only certain individuals, but other plants are more open to alternative workers.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2007, 10:52 »
I wish you luck with your career endeavors.

I just got hired at Limerick to begin an NLO class. My background is Navy, but at the testing center, there were Navy and Non-Navy mechanics, elecs, techs, etc.

I think hiring a cross section from an applicable body pool does a company well, not just focusing on Navy nukes and engineers.

The first step for you is passing the entrance exams namely the POSS and Basic Math and Science (BMST) for any Exelon operator candidate interview.

You send them your resume and if you get through, they will schedule a day of testing.

They will also send you a link to a practice POSS site via EEI.

Practice the tests just like the real deal: timed, at a student desk, etc. The BMST is 100 or so multiple choice questions (no calculator) sampling algebra, trig, geometry, chemistry, physics, mechanics, and electrical theory at the High School and Basic Craft level.

You will also get a practice BMST sent to you.

As far as education in lieu of experience, I suggest getting an A.S in Mechanical Technology, Industrial Engineering Tech, etc. Most of the nuclear engineering tech degrees we discuss here assume you are a navy nuke going in so most of the classes are waived in lieu of a few specialty classes.

Many larger community colleges have career technology centers and would be a good place to start.

Best of luck,

Jason

phlavmech

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2007, 03:06 »
This is all great info and I want to thank all of you for taking the time to post here. Is it possible to take practice exams on your own accord without having a plant send you the info? With my airframe and powerplant license, it has put me just shy of of an A.S in mechanical or electrical engineering. A lot of the basic classes you have mentioned were a requirement for my schooling and testing, IE algebra, physics, and electrical thoeries. But, I think I might take up the advice of hitting up the local library and internet about nuclear power plant generation and thoeries. After browsing the forum area for open jobs, I didn't see any positions anywhere for NLO, are they labeled more specifically or did I miss something, somewhere?
Sorry in advance if I ask stupid questions, but to be perfectly honest, I dont know the mindset and ins and outs of the field. I try to browse the forums here in my spare time, to better educate myself, but I find it easier to just ask. ;)

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2007, 04:16 »
Here is the info my company puts out to the public:

http://www.tva.com/employment/ops_maint/studop.htm

In case anyone is wondering, it is not a job offer. It is a description of the training program for SGPO (Student Generating Plant Operator, which is what TVA calls it when you train to become an AUO; funny my last company called it AUO training).

At the bottom of the page is a link to a second page regarding the testing program. But I have seen other posts on here for people being interviewed by other utilities with different links for study material. More is better!

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2007, 06:53 »
After browsing the forum area for open jobs, I didn't see any positions anywhere for NLO, are they labeled more specifically or did I miss something, somewhere?
Sorry in advance if I ask stupid questions,

You need to be looking at the job board for jobs, and at the forums for more general information.
http://www.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?job_id=5201 is one recent posting for "Auxiliary Operator". Turns out this is an AUO / NLO.

Here is a job board search for "Auxiliary Operator". Kewaunee and Vermont Yankee are not close to you, but keep looking.

http://www.nukeworker.com/job/jobfind.php?action=search&auth_sess=f60e48b5b16904edf16f7ce3d8def9d2&ref=9e97afcdb630398a81e273651&jids%5B%5D=267&lids%5B%5D=000&kwd=&cmdSearch=++Search++

You may also benefit by searching the utility websites (Exelon, Southern, Duke, TVA, Constellation, etc.) directly. Sometimes they only post for a couple of days and don't advertise on any other sites!

nomoreplanez

« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2007, 02:09 »
Brother, one thing I will tell you is fellow Nuke workers don't know too much about our 'old life". It's understandable because I knew little about nuke before I got in, they are great people regardless. There are many old aviation veterans in this industry. My advice to you, run don't walk , from airplanes. Without the shadow of a doubt you are making the right move. Training will come after you enter. just remember Nuke is Zero error, no re-rack here. Glad I did it, especially with oil getting ready to hit $100 a barell.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?