Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Looking for a job; Possiblilities for 22 year Navy Nuke Limited Duty Officer honeypot

Author Topic: Looking for a job; Possiblilities for 22 year Navy Nuke Limited Duty Officer  (Read 11746 times)

Ranger88

Well I have been out 2 years, my batteries are recharged, all my home improvements are done, and now my daughter wants to start medical school.  I am looking for a job in commercial nuclear power.  I was a MM my first 10 years in Navy Nuclear Power and then 12 years as an LDO.  I first preference would be Millstone, 15 min from my house in Waterford,ct.  I would consider other work such as with a contracting firm with travel.  I have submitted my resume to several jobs on the Dominion Jobs site with no response.  Is there a source/company specific to resume writing for former Navy Nukes?

I understand there are many ways to skin the nuclear cat so accepting the commercial world's nuclear ways will not be an issue.  I also understand hard work and starting at the bottom of a new ladder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

1982-1984 MM3-MM2; RTC(GREAT MISTAKES), NPS(SECTION 13, SMART-BUT-LAZY), NPTU S8G
1985-1987 MM2; S8G NPTU SPOO, (REDUCTION GEAR/WATERBREAK CASUALTY SPEIALTIST)
1987-1990 MM2-MM1; USS CINCINNATI, ERS,EWS(how do you say "GO TO SEA")
1990-1993 MM1-ENS; USS BOISE, EWS/EOOW
1993-1996 ENS-LTJG; USS ARKANSAS, MPTA, EOOW, OOD/SWO (Surface Navy, total nuclear shocker, but really fun)
1996-1998 LTJG-LT; SUPSHIP GROTON
1998-2000 LT; XO/RCO HISTORIC SHIP NAUTILUS
2000-2002 LT-LCDR; PCU JIMMY CARTER, MPA/AENG, EOOW
2002-2005 LCDR; RSG, SQD QAO

Rad Sponge

Well I have been out 2 years, my batteries are recharged, all my home improvements are done, and now my daughter wants to start medical school.  I am looking for a job in commercial nuclear power.  I was a MM my first 10 years in Navy Nuclear Power and then 12 years as an LDO.  I first preference would be Millstone, 15 min from my house in Waterford,ct.  I would consider other work such as with a contracting firm with travel.  I have submitted my resume to several jobs on the Dominion Jobs site with no response.  Is there a source/company specific to resume writing for former Navy Nukes?

I understand there are many ways to skin the nuclear cat so accepting the commercial world's nuclear ways will not be an issue.  I also understand hard work and starting at the bottom of a new ladder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

1982-1984 MM3-MM2; RTC(GREAT MISTAKES), NPS(SECTION 13, SMART-BUT-LAZY), NPTU S8G
1985-1987 MM2; S8G NPTU SPOO, (REDUCTION GEAR/WATERBREAK CASUALTY SPEIALTIST)
1987-1990 MM2-MM1; USS CINCINNATI, ERS,EWS(how do you say "GO TO SEA")
1990-1993 MM1-ENS; USS BOISE, EWS/EOOW
1993-1996 ENS-LTJG; USS ARKANSAS, MPTA, EOOW, OOD/SWO (Surface Navy, total nuclear shocker, but really fun)
1996-1998 LTJG-LT; SUPSHIP GROTON
1998-2000 LT; XO/RCO HISTORIC SHIP NAUTILUS
2000-2002 LT-LCDR; PCU JIMMY CARTER, MPA/AENG, EOOW
2002-2005 LCDR; RSG, SQD QAO

Thanks for your service.

Depending on what you are looking for, in my experience, commerical nukes hire in waves since training is formal/classroom and wait to class up some operators or similar skilled new hires, engineers, etc and put them through a pipeline style environment.

There are plenty of jobs out there, even for the old and dusty ones.

Just scope out the job boards here and you will notice that most of the big utilities are hiring for operators, engineers, staff consultants, etc.

Do you have a degree?

;D

Jason

Ranger88

No degree

I know, I know

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
I will guess that you are not interested in getting a license. If you are, that is great. It opens up many doors (but the golden handcuffs may keep you in OPS...).

If not, consider scheduling (Work Week Manager or Outage Scheduling) as they will be similar to the big picture job you have probably been performing.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

JohnK87

Hey, you just missed me on the Arkansas, I left there in June 92.  Good luck on your search.

tvpowell

Hi all,

I am a future sailor, shipping out on 20130410. I was wondering what the progression was like from Nuke MM to Nuke LDO as this is the path I hope to be able to take. Any tips or advice is appreciated.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?