Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I need someone to verify my calculation!!!! honeypot

Author Topic: I need someone to verify my calculation!!!!  (Read 6587 times)

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
I need someone to verify my calculation!!!!
« on: Oct 16, 2007, 05:47 »
Here is the scenario:   I have a component reading 17.25R/hr, by underwater survey.  This component is 8 inches underwater (1 hvl) my teletector is 2 feet above the surface of the water.  What am i reading as a dose rate on my teletector?  I am not concerned with instrument geometrys, or MeV, just straight calculation.  I calculated 8.4mr/hr.  How far off am I?  If you would, please explain your calculation, so I can tell if I did the same.

Thanks

ddklbl

Re: I need someone to verify my calculation!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2007, 06:49 »
If all you care about is inverse square between those two distances and neglect everything else (shielding, energy, radiation type, point vs line vs disk, buildup factor, detector response...), then yeah, that's close enough.

Horse shoes, handgrenades, and radiation shielding calculations...
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2007, 06:53 by ddklbl »

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
Re: I need someone to verify my calculation!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2007, 07:01 »
Thanks.  I did throw in the HVL for water.  However, it was at the end of the calculation.  Just wanted to be sure I followed the rules.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?