Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu PRT Failures?  

Author Topic: PRT Failures?  (Read 93663 times)

Cycoticpenguin

Re: PRT Failures?
« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2011, 07:56 »
You're right.  You're both right.  I just used to post to this forum frequently and figured I'd engage a conversation.  This one seemed debatable so I jumped in.

As far as getting qualified goes...  my division hasn't gotten a new guy in about a year and a half.  We're about 50% E-6 CRW (SW), 40% E-5 CRW (SW) and about 10% E-5 CRW just about done with warfare quals.  

We have some fancy new equipment that requires a TON of maintenance and frequent troubleshooting (can you imagine a RL division hanging tagouts several times a week for their own equipment?).  We're super short-handed (but 100% manned because of the amount of E-6's) but at least we don't have to worry about quals.

sounds RIDICULOUSLY like the IKE, except we were 15% E-6 CRW, 20% E-5 CRW, and rest was E-5/4 nub. Very crappy time :(

And you kinda bring my point to a head. We had to FORCE time to go work out. There was no arranged time to go to the gym or do some group PT. I know topsiders have plenty of time off, and we are the minority, so perhaps our views dont jive so well with the rest of the navy ;).... well shoot, we know thats the case.

Drayer -> yes, no shirt saturdays will always be in my heart ;) . Having a six pack, and ripped serratus is always nice to have haha. I know you worked out, Im just pullin your leg, and giving a different point. A lot of people just cant get into it, or have no motivation. Your motivation in the gym was not the same as mine. I enjoyed it, most people dont. I can do about 30 pullups, does that make me a better operator? definitely and utterly not, and I get your point, we all do. It just really boils down to the navy standards of having an "in shape navy", and people not fitting into those. 

lets give another counterpoint... standards in the navy are a joke. if a nuke cheats on a test... BAM. end of the world, serious career damaging event. topsider cheats on a test... slaps on the wrist. topsider falls asleep on watch, it stops at the chief. nuke falls asleep on watch, bam, career damaging event. Now, the prestige of operating a nuclear plant plays into that. We NEED to be held to higher standards then the "average joe", so perhaps lowering our prt standards (they do that with EOD's, SWIC, and SEALs....) would make some sense?  top side joe is on 8 section duty, and has one 4 hour watch on his duty day. Not quite the same as our 3 section duty, full work day, mon-fri gig. 

drayer54

« Reply #26 on: Mar 14, 2011, 05:40 »
I was contacted by the Navy Times today and they are going to run my piece that I submitted on PRT failures and the topsiders request for Extreme PRT's.... I'm pretty proud of this one. At least it's going to get some exposure. I've had over 50 people share it on their FB pages and a couple hundered page views for the article.  I hope they put it next to a picture of some pissed off Air Dale who works out for a living.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #27 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:20 »
I was contacted by the Navy Times today and they are going to run my piece that I submitted on PRT failures and the topsiders request for Extreme PRT's.... I'm pretty proud of this one. At least it's going to get some exposure. I've had over 50 people share it on their FB pages and a couple hundered page views for the article.  I hope they put it next to a picture of some pissed off Air Dale who works out for a living.

AWESOME! :D I want to see the fallout from this!!!!

drayer54

« Reply #28 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:22 »
AWESOME! :D I want to see the fallout from this!!!!

Haha, what are they going to do? Fire Me?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #29 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:24 »
Haha, what are they going to do? Fire Me?

pssh. Yeah! Then look what youre stuck doing... gosh.. 

Well either case, I do hope you dont get any backlash, but lets hope the big wigs see it and at least think about it before teeing off this weekend ;)

drayer54

« Reply #30 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:43 »
pssh. Yeah! Then look what youre stuck doing... gosh.. 
Well either case, I do hope you dont get any backlash, but lets hope the big wigs see it and at least think about it before teeing off this weekend ;
I'm not trying to change the minds of the big wigs, in all reality, they have real problems to worry about. This is primarily to piss off the guy who jumps up and down at the captains call to ask about tougher prt standards and uniform changes. I just wanted to throw back some anger for that bs article....

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #31 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:59 »
I'm not trying to change the minds of the big wigs, in all reality, they have real problems to worry about. This is primarily to piss off the guy who jumps up and down at the captains call to ask about tougher prt standards and uniform changes. I just wanted to throw back some anger for that bs article....

Well, every admiral needs to have his legacy. We've seen that with our own two eyes. Just how reasonable is that NWU uniform, honestly? Its ridiculous. I do believe you are going to piss off a few sailors, and you will be criticized/chastised, but I wish they would have the same angst against people that didnt do their jobs to the proper standards. Its whatever's in the limelight. today its PRT failures. Tomorrow, it will be something else O.o

withroaj

« Reply #32 on: Mar 14, 2011, 09:30 »
That is awesome.  Getting anything published in a widely circulated... anything is a goal of mine.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #33 on: Mar 14, 2011, 11:02 »
 :->

Well, every admiral needs to have his legacy. We've seen that with our own two eyes. Just how reasonable is that NWU uniform, honestly? Its ridiculous. I do believe you are going to piss off a few sailors, and you will be criticized/chastised, but I wish they would have the same angst against people that didnt do their jobs to the proper standards. Its whatever's in the limelight. today its PRT failures. Tomorrow, it will be something else O.o

[hijack]  [jerry]

Me thinks: CM and drayer54 are trying to outpost each other.  Try PM's or dirrect e-mail!  [dowave]
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #34 on: Mar 15, 2011, 07:08 »
:->

[hijack]  [jerry]

Me thinks: CM and drayer54 are trying to outpost each other.  Try PM's or dirrect e-mail!  [dowave]

usually I would agree completely, but our posts are pretty much on topic here. O.o

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2011, 08:46 »
Well, every admiral needs to have his legacy. We've seen that with our own two eyes. Just how reasonable is that NWU uniform, honestly? Its ridiculous.

FYI...NWU came about as a result of Task Force Uniform (TFU), which was made up of a bunch of E-9s. 

Not every "brilliant" idea comes about because of an admiral seeking to leave a legacy. 

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #36 on: Mar 15, 2011, 11:00 »
FYI...NWU came about as a result of Task Force Uniform (TFU), which was made up of a bunch of E-9s. 

Not every "brilliant" idea comes about because of an admiral seeking to leave a legacy. 

Cheers,
GC

I agree with that, but ultimately, its the admirals decision to implement. And my point was that it was someone wanting to bring the navy up to some kind of standard for the public eye.

The NWU facilitates Navy leadership's intent to standardize the professional appearance of Sailors when wearing a working uniform ashore," said CNP Vice Adm. Mark Ferguson.

It really seems like there is a big push to get the navy into some kind of idealogical state that "fits" the public's idea of "Joe/Jane Sailor", and they are finding every way to do that. From PRT standards to uniform pushes.  Too bad we dont focus on the rate capabilities aspect like Mr drayer is describing.

shocker

« Reply #37 on: Mar 15, 2011, 04:28 »
up to some kind of standard for the public eye.

And they did this by changing a uniform that can only be worn in public on the way to and from work?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #38 on: Mar 15, 2011, 05:04 »
And they did this by changing a uniform that can only be worn in public on the way to and from work?

Last I heard, they didnt want it to be public because a lot of people didnt know how to wear it. So there was supposed to be some kind of "reception period" to allow everyone to 1) get the uniform and 2) learn to wear it properly.  Whether that will change or not, I cant speculate on. The point was to provide a uniform that meshed with the rest of the armed services that already had BDU's. A "unified" military if you will, which, also, is good for public image.  This is all speculative of course, so take it how you want.

shocker

« Reply #39 on: Mar 15, 2011, 08:21 »
Eh I find that a little hard to believe.  Other than coveralls its the easiest one to wear.  How hard is it to put on blousing straps and an 8-point?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #40 on: Mar 15, 2011, 08:40 »
Eh I find that a little hard to believe.  Other than coveralls its the easiest one to wear.  How hard is it to put on blousing straps and an 8-point?

Your disbelief is misplaced.

""Today our CNO approved a revision to the policy that governs the wear of the Navy Working Uniform. Effective immediately, Sailors in most locations can now wear our newest uniform outside the lifelines of our bases and our ships. They can wear it for short routine stops and even at restaurants out in town as long as it's during working hours.

This is a big win for our Sailors and for our Navy. The American public is going to be introduced to this new uniform and our men and women have been eager to get out there and show it off.

Much of the credit for this decision goes to our CNO, Admiral Roughead, and our Chief of Naval Personnel, Vice Admiral Fitzgerald. They recognized a need early on to make sure our Sailors knew exactly how to wear this uniform before we sent them out in front of the American public. Our Chiefs trained them and provided the feedback. Now we're ready to move forward and let communities around the country see what a United States Sailor looks like in blue and gray camouflage.

Also, BZ to Fleet Master Chief Scott Benning and the Navy Region Mid-Atlantic Chief's Mess. They led the way in getting their Sailors trained up on the NWU and set the standard for the entire Navy.

More details on this can be found in NAVADMIN 188/09.

Have a great weekend.

HOOYAH,
MCPON""

shocker

« Reply #41 on: Mar 16, 2011, 11:07 »
"wear it for short routine stops and even at restaurants out in town as long as it's during working hours."

That NAVADMIN has been out since 2009... the wear restrictions haven't changed at all since then and it is still a highly restrictive uniform to wear.  For example - living in the BEQ's I am not allowed to "stop by" the barber shop off base in my NWU's.  Unless I left early I guess and it was still during working hours...

The routine stops and working hours make it difficult to "show off" to the public.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #42 on: Mar 16, 2011, 11:23 »
"wear it for short routine stops and even at restaurants out in town as long as it's during working hours."

That NAVADMIN has been out since 2009... the wear restrictions haven't changed at all since then and it is still a highly restrictive uniform to wear.  For example - living in the BEQ's I am not allowed to "stop by" the barber shop off base in my NWU's.  Unless I left early I guess and it was still during working hours...

The routine stops and working hours make it difficult to "show off" to the public.

now you are arguing semantics :) the term "normal working hours" is 1) not defined 2) subjective. I would consider going out in town at 11AM for my lunch break .... GOING OUT IN TOWN. It used to be wear to and from car, period. not to be seen off base except to get gas if you needed it.  Im not sure what you want to wear your uniform out in town for at 8pm anyway.....

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #43 on: Mar 16, 2011, 11:46 »
Much of the credit for this decision goes to our CNO, Admiral Roughead, and our Chief of Naval Personnel, Vice Admiral Fitzgerald. They recognized a need early on to make sure our Sailors knew exactly how to wear this uniform before we sent them out in front of the American public. Our Chiefs trained them and provided the feedback. Now we're ready to move forward and let communities around the country see what a United States Sailor looks like in blue and gray camouflage.

I blame the previous CNO for the chairborne-ranger look SWU.

Timeline: First pic taken in 2006. Squid in dungarees, ChiComs in camo wackadoodle outfit. Someone gets BDU envy.

Second picture is of People's Liberation Army Navy Type 07 uniform. Big Navy gets further mancrush, must have something JUST like it...

voila!  Now we can all be panda-huggers! Ni chi bao le ma, fei jai?   >:(
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2011, 11:53 by HydroDave63 »

MacGyver

« Reply #44 on: Mar 16, 2011, 12:02 »
I blame the previous CNO for the chairborne-ranger look SWU.

Timeline: First pic taken in 2006. Squid in dungarees, ChiComs in camo wackadoodle outfit. Someone gets BDU envy.

Second picture is of People's Liberation Army Navy Type 07 uniform. Big Navy gets further mancrush, must have something JUST like it...

voila!  Now we can all be panda-huggers! Ni chi bao le ma, fei jai?   >:(

Add the fact that we buy our uniforms from said Chi'Coms and you get,

shocker

« Reply #45 on: Mar 16, 2011, 02:45 »
now you are arguing semantics :) the term "normal working hours" is 1) not defined 2) subjective. I would consider going out in town at 11AM for my lunch break .... GOING OUT IN TOWN. It used to be wear to and from car, period. not to be seen off base except to get gas if you needed it.  Im not sure what you want to wear your uniform out in town for at 8pm anyway.....

Mainly because Im still in A-school.  It's a pain to change into NSU/Civilian clothes to run to the store or get a haircut off base just to come back and change back into NWU's, finish the homework, change back into civilian clothes to sleep in...  Granted its a minor inconvienence but Im practicing the whole bitching sailor thing :-P

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #46 on: Mar 16, 2011, 03:44 »
Mainly because Im still in A-school.  It's a pain to change into NSU/Civilian clothes to run to the store or get a haircut off base just to come back and change back into NWU's, finish the homework, change back into civilian clothes to sleep in...  Granted its a minor inconvienence but Im practicing the whole bitching sailor thing :-P

Well... being in a training command is another subject all together. If you left base to get a haircut and came back, no one would be upset with you. Its one of those "in the line of duty" kind of things. If you went to the bar off base... then yeah, I could understand some angst against that. O.o

pm me your instructors please. :)

drayer54

« Reply #47 on: Mar 16, 2011, 03:54 »
[OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT]

I like it because I can not wear a belt and nobody notices. I can not iron it, ever.... and nobody notices.... But If I were to run a PRT in it, I would undoubtedly fail.
You know failing PRT's?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #48 on: Mar 16, 2011, 03:55 »
[OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT] [OT]

I like it because I can not wear a belt and nobody notices. I can not iron it, ever.... and nobody notices.... But If I were to run a PRT in it, I would undoubtedly fail.
You know failing PRT's?

shocker

« Reply #49 on: Mar 16, 2011, 06:25 »
On topic - the body fat thing is a little ridiculous, the PRT standards for women are a little ridiculous, but all-in-all not too difficult to maintain weight and at least a good low if you try.  Deployments might be a different story, but at shore you should have no reason not to eat healthy.  Sure it might cost more than the galley, but it costs a lot less than a career.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?