Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu PRT Failures? honeypot

Author Topic: PRT Failures?  (Read 93629 times)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: PRT Failures?
« Reply #75 on: Jul 01, 2011, 11:00 »
Yes, but how much less could it care? :P

Now we see why you are The Annoying Orange  :P

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #76 on: Jul 02, 2011, 12:02 »
Morla the Aged One

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #77 on: Jul 04, 2011, 11:23 »
I think GC has a pretty good feel for big navy as he's spent a lot of time in it and done pretty well for himself. I also think he is right on this issue.

Now go find that scuttlebutt and enjoy a salad. 8)

Agreed, and that damn salad was delicious.
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #78 on: Jul 06, 2011, 12:20 »
Big navy could care less about your physical fitness.  PRT as iti is today is a force shaping tool, nothing more.  We need to cut sailors.... we enforce PRT rules...been that way for years.

And why do you question?  GC is the SME!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #79 on: Jul 06, 2011, 03:38 »

Whose we? Are you saying that you are big navy? I'm looking from the bottom up, and that's my opinion =/

And I never said that enforcing PRT rules was wrong, I encourage it.... are they a good tool to summarize a persons PF? Summarize, I guess.

I'm not "Big Navy", but his office used to be two floors below mine. ;)
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #80 on: Jul 06, 2011, 07:12 »

I know I am extremely under experienced with the whole Navy thing, I mean no funny business. :)

_mike

« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2011, 07:24 by Jechtm »
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #81 on: Jul 06, 2011, 08:25 »

Ahhh....so YOU were the guy they had go and fetch the ice-cold Mountain Dews!  8)

USNDC2

« Reply #82 on: Aug 03, 2011, 03:01 »
I notice a lot of Sailors on here putting down this shipmate and referring to "Navy Standards". I struggled with my weight now in the Navy for 8 years. Always barely making BCA or getting a "hookup"... I just failed my first BCA with my command in March. I was at 23% BF and could not for the life of me get any lower. Mind you I ran a 12:15 1 1/2 Mile, 78 Situps, and 100 Pushups... I am 5'11"/247lbs/29yrs which equated to an overall Excellent on my PRT. Sometimes PT'ing doesn't cut it, and if it wasn't for the failure, I would not have went to my Doctor to find out that I have Hypothyroidism. For those of you that don't know what that is... It is a Thyroid disorder causing my metabolism to run extremely slow making it impossible for me to lose weight without proper medication to increase my Metabolism to where it needs to be. You never know what someone's situation may be. So please don't judge anyone because you are skinny and have no problems passing BCA or the PRT. Because at my size, if someone said some of the things they say on here to my face, They would learn real quick that there "Navy Standard Self" would not last 30 seconds before they were on the ground picking their butts up... So please stop judging and start encouraging... Have a Fine Navy Day!!!!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #83 on: Aug 03, 2011, 04:04 »

+K on reminder to check for hypothyroid!

drayer54

« Reply #84 on: Aug 03, 2011, 04:32 »
:whispering: Dave, I think you meant this one: /:whispering

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #85 on: Aug 03, 2011, 05:49 »
I notice a lot of Sailors on here putting down this shipmate and referring to "Navy Standards". I struggled with my weight now in the Navy for 8 years. Always barely making BCA or getting a "hookup"... I just failed my first BCA with my command in March. I was at 23% BF and could not for the life of me get any lower. Mind you I ran a 12:15 1 1/2 Mile, 78 Situps, and 100 Pushups... I am 5'11"/247lbs/29yrs which equated to an overall Excellent on my PRT. Sometimes PT'ing doesn't cut it, and if it wasn't for the failure, I would not have went to my Doctor to find out that I have Hypothyroidism. For those of you that don't know what that is... It is a Thyroid disorder causing my metabolism to run extremely slow making it impossible for me to lose weight without proper medication to increase my Metabolism to where it needs to be. You never know what someone's situation may be. So please don't judge anyone because you are skinny and have no problems passing BCA or the PRT. Because at my size, if someone said some of the things they say on here to my face, They would learn real quick that there "Navy Standard Self" would not last 30 seconds before they were on the ground picking their butts up... So please stop judging and start encouraging... Have a Fine Navy Day!!!!

Im going to call bullsheet on the 100 pushups but I hear your point. Not everyone is genetically blessed with chiseled abs and good looks...

But thats no excuse to cry about it. Take your medication, appeal your failure, quit making excuses for the rest of the navy -.-

And finally
"USNDC2" why are you here on "nukeworker.com"?  Are you trying to convert?

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
« Reply #86 on: Aug 03, 2011, 07:48 »
And finally
"USNDC2" why are you here on "nukeworker.com"?  Are you trying to convert?

Didn't know that only folks that were directly working with radioactivity were allowed to surf and post. And damage control, I do believe, is a ship wide position, including mechanical spaces.............. and I am sure there is a reactor, or two depending on your ship, that has one in said spaces. (OK. Comma use is a bit extreme. Hope my point was taken OBJECTIVELY)  ;)
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #87 on: Aug 05, 2011, 01:47 »
Didn't know that only folks that were directly working with radioactivity were allowed to surf and post. And damage control, I do believe, is a ship wide position, including mechanical spaces.............. and I am sure there is a reactor, or two depending on your ship, that has one in said spaces. (OK. Comma use is a bit extreme. Hope my point was taken OBJECTIVELY)  ;)

No my friend. NUKEworker.com. This is a site for nukes, by nukes. If he's interested in cross rating, then yes, we welcome him with open arms. The moment this site opens to "general naval discussion" it loses all value for nuclear navy prospects and current/former sailors. Im not a "ratist", and I appreciate the aspect of all sailors do for our country, but this site isnt a navy site, its a nuclear worker site. If Im out of line here, the smites will come, and moderators will delete this, but I stand by what I said.

edit: Id like to clarify why non nukes shouldnt post here. We have/had our own unique set of standards on health, PRT reqs enforcement, quality of life, etc etc. Its not prudent, fair, or logical to have non nukes posting with authority because they just cant relate. Likewise, we dont relate to them. Mixing oil and water is never a good idea.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2011, 02:03 by Starkist »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #88 on: Aug 05, 2011, 05:21 »
No my friend. NUKEworker.com. This is a site for nukes, by nukes. If he's interested in cross rating, then yes, we welcome him with open arms. The moment this site opens to "general naval discussion" it loses all value for nuclear navy prospects and current/former sailors. Im not a "ratist", and I appreciate the aspect of all sailors do for our country, but this site isnt a navy site, its a nuclear worker site. If Im out of line here, the smites will come, and moderators will delete this, but I stand by what I said.

edit: Id like to clarify why non nukes shouldnt post here. We have/had our own unique set of standards on health, PRT reqs enforcement, quality of life, etc etc. Its not prudent, fair, or logical to have non nukes posting with authority because they just cant relate. Likewise, we dont relate to them. Mixing oil and water is never a good idea.

Good thing you don't get to decide who posts here. Just sayin.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #89 on: Aug 05, 2011, 09:03 »

Posts like this make me want to get all my non-nuke friends to start chiming in here.  You are an elitist Richard.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #90 on: Aug 05, 2011, 09:59 »
Good thing you don't get to decide who posts here. Just sayin.

Agreed! 

(Donning my coaching uniform) 

It IS Nukeworker.com  It is by nukes, for ANYONE who wants to visit, sign up, ask questions, share experiences, you get the idea. 

Feel free to point differences, especially for those who don't know that they exist, but NEVER EVER tell someone they can't or shouldn't post here. 

Think on some of the human performance fundamentals that we always apply in this business:
Consider opposing or different points of view (self-explanatory)
Self-check (Think before posting?)
Peer-check
2 minute drill

Some error precursor phrases:

"We've always done that"
"That'll never work"
"He (she) hasn't been here long enough to give input"

Be opinionated but open-minded.  Tell someone they're wrong (if they are) WITHOUT putting them down.  None of us came into this field, whether Navy or commercial, knowing it all.  None of us know it all & I believe even BZ would admit to that.  ;) 

This isn't about 27 warm fuzzies to every new poster, it's about being decent to each other.  It's not about coddling it's about guiding.  It boils down to treating the same as you want to be treated.  (and not getting mad when you get treated the way you treat others)

(Doffing the hat and returning you to your regularly scheduled, and hopefully back on-topic, discussion)
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #91 on: Aug 05, 2011, 11:18 »
Starkist, I consider Navy Nukes non-nukes, But I do not complain if they post and feel important. They have a right like anyone else like Nuclear Nascar says. Navy Just pristine environment, no dose, routine stuff, low contamination. When you do a job that you do not know what is going to happen, 5 Rad smearable, strontium line broken on a  pump that sprays containment, Shonka SCM mapping, 376 mr dose in a 15 minute jump.( Probably more than a Starkist Lifetime)That is a Nukeworker. Apologies to the rest of the navy posters here!!!! Just saying [train] [Flamer]
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2011, 08:06 by thenukeman »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #92 on: Aug 06, 2011, 10:30 »
Posts like this make me want to get all my non-nuke friends to start chiming in here.  You are an elitist Richard.

I just got it,.... :stupidme:

I was looking at it for a bit after the game last night and as I know 'kist's given name I was unsure of the context,...

amazing when you can still find naivete in a 51YO mind,.... [Flamer]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #93 on: Aug 06, 2011, 11:32 »

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Richard is a typical name in many Germanic languages, including English, German and Dutch.

Short forms:
English: Rik, Rick, Rich, Dick, Ric, Bob (Australian). Slovak: Rišo, Riško, Riči. Polish: Rysio, Rysiek, Ryś. Czech: Ríša. Spanish: Cayo (Guatemala). Finnish: Riku. Estonian: Riho.

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
« Reply #94 on: Aug 07, 2011, 09:29 »

My thoughts:

-Your condition is the exception, not the rule.
-Really sorry that you don't think professional performance should be judged, but I wholeheartedly disagree. If being in standards is one's job and one is not in standards, they are failing at their job (barring some exceptional medical condition). Everything you do in a professional sense is going to be judged and for many people (I would say majority, but that would be anecdotal at best), the state of being over weight comes from lifestyle decisions. I'm not saying the system is right or that I even agree with it, but I at least accept it for what it is: another set of standards that I have to follow in order to be eligible to continue receiving a paycheck. I wish there were more performance oriented things that could get people fired from the Navy...
-Speaking of failing at their job, the guys who were "encouraging" you by letting you skate on your weigh in/rope and choke actually got in the way of your medical problem being diagnosed. Perhaps if they had taken a hard line approach, you could have been treated years sooner. I don't know what, if any, kind of long term fall out is there due to the extra time it took you to get treated, but I would be pretty upset with myself if I were in your shoes.
-Threatening people over the internet just dilutes your point and makes you look foolish. You probably could beat me up, but luckily we're not barbarians and it wouldn't make your opinion any more valid. I'm not going to be one of the guys to tell you not to post here but crap like "you wouldn't say that to my face" is too childlike for my taste. It should be too much so for your taste as well, but I digress.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #95 on: Aug 07, 2011, 02:33 »
Gentlemen. I will kindly point the name out.

www.Nukeworker.com

closely followed by the name of the subforum

Navy Nuke

Im in no way, shape or form, dictating who can and can't post here. Im merely being "that guy" and pointing out this site is designed for NUCLEAR navy and civilian NUCLEAR power workers.

Heres a few forums for open source military

http://www.thenavycafe.com/forum/cmps_index.php

http://forums.military.com/

Id also like to point, he wasnt the most open about it, he resorted to threats of violence on his first post. He is also completely vague and in no way shape or form contributing to this site.

Elitist? Slightly. I am however, posting on "NUKEworker.com" Not "Navyworker.com" Or "industrialworker.com".

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Richard is a typical name in many Germanic languages, including English, German and Dutch.

Short forms:
English: Rik, Rick, Rich, Dick, Ric, Bob (Australian). Slovak: Rišo, Riško, Riči. Polish: Rysio, Rysiek, Ryś. Czech: Ríša. Spanish: Cayo (Guatemala). Finnish: Riku. Estonian: Riho.

That would be great, but my names not Richard.  It's a biblical name that's from the old testament.

If you feel the need to get your non nuke navy friends on board, thats wonderful and your prerogative.

Starkist, I consider Navy Nukes non-nukes, But I do not complain if they post and feel important. They have a right like anyone else like Nuclear Nascar says. Navy Just pristine environment, no dose, routine stuff, low contamination. When you do a job that you do not know what is going to happen, 5 Rad smearable, strontium line broken on a  pump that sprays containment, Shonka SCM mapping, 376 mr dose in a 15 minute jump.( Probably more than a Starkist Lifetime)That is a Nukeworker. Apologies to the rest of the navy posters here!!!! Just saying [train] [Flamer]

Im not a navy nuke anymore either.

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2011, 04:10 by Starkist »

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #96 on: Aug 07, 2011, 04:48 »
@ Starkist:

1. You don't get it.
2. Our DC friend was simply stating that some of the posts here are things that, if said in person, would make somebody angry enough to lay down.  I didn't perceive it is a threat.
3. I feel fortunate to have this site.  I found it while looking for a second career.  I often wonder why some active duty navy guys post on here, but I try to help them nonetheless.  Honestly I have very few non-nuke friends so my threat of inviting others to post on here was pretty lame.
4. The PRT program used to be the most selectively complied with requirements in the Navy.  If it was followed to the letter, there probably wouldn't be as many failures and we probably couldn't man the boats if we got rid of all those out of standards.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #97 on: Aug 07, 2011, 06:36 »
@ Starkist:

1. You don't get it.
2. Our DC friend was simply stating that some of the posts here are things that, if said in person, would make somebody angry enough to lay down.  I didn't perceive it is a threat.
3. I feel fortunate to have this site.  I found it while looking for a second career.  I often wonder why some active duty navy guys post on here, but I try to help them nonetheless.  Honestly I have very few non-nuke friends so my threat of inviting others to post on here was pretty lame.
4. The PRT program used to be the most selectively complied with requirements in the Navy.  If it was followed to the letter, there probably wouldn't be as many failures and we probably couldn't man the boats if we got rid of all those out of standards.

edit: I think you guys are missing my point. I NEVER said he "couldn't" post here, I said he "shouldn't". Why? Because a DC2 does not understand the dynamics of the nuclear navy. Elitist? Not at all. I would NEVER go to a corpsman site and tell them how they would do their stuff, likewise I would NEVER tell a DC2 how damage control stuff works. Why? Because I dont understand the dynamics of their job. Its not a put down, its a lack of experience and knowledge of the way things work. 

This is a stupid debate/argument by any means. Im not going to continue this, and I apologize for getting this little tiff started.
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2011, 06:43 by Starkist »

MacGyver

« Reply #98 on: Aug 08, 2011, 08:45 »
Maybe you could ask for a waiver, like this one, because "It's to hard".

drayer54

« Reply #99 on: Aug 08, 2011, 11:40 »
Maybe you could ask for a waiver, like this one, because "It's to hard".
PolySci is 3 doors down and to the left, you just need to get that gold key first. It shouldn't be "to hard" to find it.

Personally, I wish he would give a waiver for every school in the country to not participate and shutdown his agency, but that's just me.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?