Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu should i stay in or get out
honeypot

Author Topic: should i stay in or get out  (Read 7335 times)

cumminsboy

should i stay in or get out
« on: Nov 22, 2007, 01:06 »
I don't know if i should stay in or get out. Just out looking for options. If you have any suggestions for me let me know. I'm a surface elt that has been in for eight year with only 6 months left to go. I'll have my BS degree from excelsior finished up before I get out. I'm worried that when I get out I won't be able to find a job. How hard is it to find a job? Not sure if i want to do the nuclear stuff or going to a coal plant. Does anyone know of any jobs in the midwest?   

Kev3399

Re: should i stay in or get out
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2007, 01:28 »
I'm worried that when I get out I won't be able to find a job. How hard is it to find a job?

Cast away your worries and start looking. You should have no problem finding a job if you don't limit your options.

This is how hard it was to find a job:(This was searching for only Commercial Ops/Training positions)
-Positions applied for - 15
-Call backs - 9
-Interviews - 4
-Job offers - 4

This all happened between the time period of April 07 to July 07. Ultimately I left the Navy in August and I am loving it.(I am at home right now for Thanksgiving on a paid holiday :))

Start applying now. You'll be disapointed at first because alot of utilities will wait to call until you're closer to 3 months. April and May I barely got anything and then my phone rang off the hook from June until September. I still had utilities calling me after I started my new job. The difference between the call backs and interviews was timing. Sometimes your start date won't match up with your EAOS.

Find the utilities you would like to work at and apply. When something else opens up on their career page, apply. You have a good background, especially if you qual'd EWS.

Best of luck, pm me if you have any more specific questions.

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2007, 06:56 »
1.)  Read the forums around here to get a feel what the positions are called and what you are qualified for.  Ops, chemistry, rad con are definite areas you have experience for.

2.)  Use this link on the NRC web page to see where all the plants are and who operates them.  http://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactor/

If you find one in a region you like, find out who owns them.  Example, say you are from Iowa.  You see Duane Arnold is located there.  You see that FPL operates them.  Go to FPL's web page and do a job search.  Keep doing this and you will see once you start applying and submitting resumes you will get calls in a matter of a few weeks and interviews a few weeks after that.

Kev3399 is right on.  If you do the leg work, you will find it fairly easy to find a job.  Get a good resume written and start learning the different interview techniques out there.

PS  Stay away from coal fired plants.  Nothing compares to the quality of people, training, and pay than a nuke.  Just my honest biased opinion.

And feel free to ask more direct questions after doing a little research.

vikingfan

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2007, 08:48 »
since your a midwest guy you might also try exelon www.exeloncorp.com and see what positions are being offered. i know lately they have had reactor services and fuel handler positions posted.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2007, 11:41 »
In the end only you can answer that question.

If you don't like the Navy get out keeping a job you hate is not worth it.

Many of my friends and class mates have gotten out recently the only ones that don't have good jobs don't want one. (litteraly one of my ex-roommates is living of welfare)

JohnK87

« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2007, 12:01 »
Xcel Energy is hiring outplant operators for a class next year at Prairie Island, posting should be up soon on the Xcelenergy.com page.  There are also open Operations Instructor positions, chemistry, hiring HP's as we add one to shift, etc.

Figure out what plants are in places you want to live, most everyone has openings now you are qualified for or will have them soon.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2007, 07:42 »
Just to answer your topic question... get out. More money, more time, more life, more happiness, more dignity, more respect. That about sums up why I think you should get out. What you do when you get when you get out is up to you. You can't miss in the commercial nuke world. And, like Kev said (he and I have both recently been through the process), with a little work on your part, you will easily find a job. No one, and I mean no one, is waiting to just hand you a job (a lot of navy nukes think that for some reason) so your worry is legitimate of course. But unlike the rest of the world, the doors are open waiting for you to walk through. You just have to do it.

Justin

PS I can give you tons more info to help you get started, and I am sure Kev would be more than happy to help too. Like I said, we have both been through it recently with success and can share some pointers and contacts.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2007, 07:48 by JustinHEMI05 »

Kev3399

« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2007, 08:15 »
Good call Justin. As he said, I'm always free for a PM with specific questions or concerns.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?