Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Checkout Interview

Author Topic: Navy Checkout Interview  (Read 17805 times)

PapaBear765

Re: NAVY CHECKOUT INTERVIEW
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2008, 11:18 »
No, not necessarily.  When I checked out from my boat, I was a freshly frocked first and my ENG caught me off gaurd.  I hadn't really thought about the whole check out process when he asked me to come have a seat in his office.  We talked for a little while and I mumbled some crap, again, I had plenty of bitches and moans, but didn't know what I wanted to tell him.  He broke the ice when he opened up his steno pad and said, "3 months ago when Joe checked out, he had the following to say: X, Y, Z."  We talked about how Joe was exceptionally bitter and how those comments probably colored his objectivity, but went on to have an actual meaningful conversation about the truths to his complaints.  Some people really do care, others not so much.  You can't make broad generalizations about a group of people because there is always someone who bucks the system, for better or worse.

Regardless of where he learned to do that technique, DH Leadership for dummies  ;) or elsewhere, I feel that he truly was concerned.

Sure, I concede that there is the ever-present exception...it comes with making broad generalizations.  Exceptions, however, do not refute the validity of the generalization.  My boat had a high turnover rate for chiefs and officers, so I've seen more supervisors than I normally would have on a different boat.  My generalization was made with a bitter tone, but its accuracy is tenable and based on years of first-hand experience.

PapaBear765

Re: NAVY CHECKOUT INTERVIEW
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2008, 11:29 »
That makes me laugh.  Seriously, it makes me laugh.  How did you know about the supervisor school?  Yes, they do teach us to act like we are writing your comments down as if we care about our people. HA! 
There are several techniques used by those of us who "act like we are writing your comments".
There is the "move the hand" like you are writing method...only used by rookie supervisors.  Too easy to get caught.  Then there is the "doodle" method where you actually write something, but it has nothing to do with the svm checking out.  The other methods are to actually write down what is said, and destroy the notes five seconds after the interview.  (This method is actually taught at the "supervisor school")  Finally, my personal favorite, take down notes from what is said, actually engage the person to his/her concerns, let the individual know what things I will actually take for action (some things are just whining and I let them know that), and then after the interview, I compare my notes with previous check out interviews to look for common themes.  Now this last method isn't really taught anywhere at supervisor schools because it shows concern for the individual leaving.

Okay, maybe some sarcasm here.  dd is right, it doesn't matter where they learned the technique, but if they take the time to write it down, they probably care a little.

On a separate note, I have had the occasional check out interview with the guy who always complained about everything and never seemed to do anything.  During that checkout, I don't write anything down, I just listen to him complain more, then I thank him for his service and wish him Good luck.  :)

Well... Since every person I checked out with when transferring from my boat to NPTU did the notepad (doodle method or otherwise) and someone on this thread described the same thing, and guys that I work with now describe the same thing...might lead one to conclude that this is a common thing among supervisors.  Whether it's taught or learned through tribal knowledge is irrelevant.

It seems as though you're more on the diggit side of the navy than I am.  You diggits have to remember that just because I don't sign my posts with "Go Navy" doesn't mean I sign them with "FTN" either.  I have many criticisms about the navy in general and particular to the nuke side, and they come from my experiences.  My service is different than yours.  Perhaps you were fortunate enough to serve on commands ran by reasonable, considerate people...I was not as fortunate, as are many others.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?