Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Eberline RM24 and E600
honeypot

Author Topic: Eberline RM24 and E600  (Read 13821 times)

neveragain

Eberline RM24 and E600
« on: Dec 01, 2007, 11:15 »
Some older instruments in our facility need to be replaced and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with Eberline RM24 and E600. I've heard that RM24 overrespond, but when I compared them to Eberline SRM-100 they actually were a little slower then SRM-100.

I've used E600 a few times, and it shows about 5-6 times higher count then ESP1. Anybody knows what is the proper way to approach that?

Thanks a lot!

RAD-GHOST

Re: Eberline RM24 and E600
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2007, 08:33 »
There are a lot opinions on instrumentation.

Primary things to consider:

Isotopes of concern.
Durability.
Environmental influences.
Complexity of operation.
Calibration support equipment.
Cost of repair components.

I'd suggest contacting the instrument sales representatives and request one of your final selections on a trial bases.  They will usually ship, or show up with one, when they hear the word SALE! 

As far as the E-600, I like it, but it's not built for power plants use!  One meter and a dozen smart detectors!  Now you have to ask yourself, did the E-600 over respond, or did the other under respond?

Hope this helps, RG!

« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2007, 08:34 by RAD-GHOST »

neveragain

« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2007, 08:26 »
Thanks so much Rad-Ghost and Marssism for your answers!
I was going over differences in count between E600 and ESP1 today with the guys from the calibration department and one of them pointed out it might be due to the differences in the probe area. E600 calibrated to count in dpm/100cm2, and ESP1 just counts in DPM. (I guess over the probe area of about 12 cm2). I like this explanation, but what puzzles me, is that nobody ever (I am a new RCT) mentioned that for the report purposes you need to multiply ESP1 count by the correction factor (100/12), since we report in DPM/100cm2.
I am so puzzled...I'll place the question oabout ESP1 as a separate topic, maybe it has a better chance to catch somebody's interest.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2007, 08:39 »
You might want to re-read your DOE CORE study guide.  It explains everything about instruments, like correction factors, and how to get DPM from CPM.  And how not only probe size, but calibration isotopes etc affect your outcome.

neveragain

« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2008, 01:38 »
Rennhack,

I DID read the study guide very carefully, in fact, most of my test scores were 100%  :) But nothing is mentioned in the study guide about the correction factors, etc. If you have a chance, please drop me a link to the guide you have in mind, I would love to read it.

Luckily I found all the information I need in the manuals at my work place. You do need to use a correction factor for ESP1, which is about 6.5.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?