Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Experience Vs. Education honeypot

Poll

Scenario :  You are responsible for picking the techs that will be working for you this outage.  You have one slot left to fill & three resumes to choose from.  You would choose :

BS degree plus 3 months tech time.
4 (6%)
4 years decon time plus 3 months tech time.
40 (59.7%)
Navy ELT plus 3 months commercial time.
23 (34.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Experience Vs. Education  (Read 31869 times)

Chimera

Re: Experience Vs. Education
« Reply #25 on: Mar 29, 2004, 08:16 »
Based on my own experiences over the years, and assuming the qualifications of the three individuals were verified to be accurate, I would hire the ex-deconner every time.  I am an ex-Navy nuc, also, but I vividly remember my first exposure to commercial nuclear power . . . an experience I've seen mirrored by many new ex-Navy nuc's  starting out in the commercial industry.  While I have my degree also, I'm aware that the degree just means I have a lot of theoretical knowledge with little to no practical experience.  I've been a road tech, a house tech, worked in both commercial and government programs, and I've trained techs along the way.  Based on over 30 years of experience, I would hire the (legitimate) ex-deconner every time.

But that's just my opinion . . .

shehane

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2004, 12:24 »
experience equals education!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #27 on: Jul 29, 2004, 12:54 »
experience equals education!

Yeah, Don, but does education equal experience?
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

DainJer

« Reply #28 on: Jul 29, 2004, 09:18 »
Not necessarily from the nuke side,
Education does not "equal" experience, but I think it does multiply experience.

If you take 2 guys with equal experience and one has a 4 yr degree, it shows 2 things, especially in this industry.

1. he successfully buckled himself down and passed classes, this takes dedication.
2. he most assuredly can handle any of the higher math, and analytical thinking quicker than a person without a degree, he's had 4 years of practice.

JassenB

« Reply #29 on: Jul 29, 2004, 09:39 »
Chimera:

.. While I have my degree also, I'm aware that the degree just means I have a lot of theoretical knowledge with little to no practical experience.  I've been a road tech, a house tech, worked in both commercial and government programs, and I've trained techs along the way.  Based on over 30 years of experience, I would hire the (legitimate) ex-deconner every time.

To me, for one, these are words of encouragement. I am also ex-Navy nuke, but I wasn't an ELT (I was an EM), and I have a BS and some graduate school, but I'm starting out in the commercial nuclear industry as a deconner. A lot of people don't understand why I even enjoy that sort of work, let alone why I would continue doing haz mat cleanup with a degree. All the degrees in the world don't count for crap, in my opinion, if somebody can't adequately and safely perform the tasks of the job itself, and that is obviously where experience comes in.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?