Below Average
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Ginna  (Read 32737 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Ginna
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:01 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2006, 06:52 by Rennhack »

cms

Ginna
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2003, 10:33 »
I absolutely loved working the Ginna outage last Spring.  Would go back in a heartbeat.  Everyone there is great.  Very fair and very nice.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Ginna
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2003, 03:12 »
its been so long since i was in the middle of that apple orchard.... but it was always one of my favorite plants!
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

sammoyers

Ginna
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2003, 01:16 »
[smiley=argue.gif]  [smiley=hop_hand.gif]

Dispite the fact that it was bitter cold, the plant itself and the area were not too bad. In 1984 it was rated as a "country club".But,I had a run-in with the site coordinator and left the plant after only a couple of weeks.

Offline gmoney

• Very Lite User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Ginna
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2003, 04:30 »
The training department does an excellent job. As for the rest of the plant.............just another powerhouse without any food......oh, except for an in house Blimpy's. (if memeory serves me right?)

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
Ginna
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2003, 06:38 »
Nice area, nice folks, great apples. Great house of pain (Wellness Center) to work out.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

littlebittime

Ginna
« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2003, 05:41 »
So Unc... how fast was ya going?

littlebittime

Ginna
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2003, 07:20 »

My best (worst?) ticket was 29 miles over the speed limit.   Nearly had my license removed on the spot!  The officer "let me go with 29"  - I was actually doing 32 over.  But I went to court... was asked to lunch by the judge (I didn't go) ... and got the whole thing reduced to 10 miles over and a small fine.  The judge told me it was probably the car that was the problem (IROC Z)  he was sure that it was simply too much car for me.. and since I was new to driving it.. I probably didn't realize how fast I was going.  I just nodded in agreement with whatever he said. lol

It was also the ticket that brought my husband and I together... he drove by pointed and laughed as i was getting the ticket.   As luck would have it... he was going to the same location I was heading to... I told him he owed me a beer for being rude... we were married 2 years later.   By the same judge who reduced my ticket!  lol

phyteach2001

Ginna
« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2003, 03:13 »
Greetings,

I was curious about sending resumes to the plant.  I am a former navy nuke (mm1/ss qualified ers) and was thinking about becoming an operator again.  In the time since I left teh navy, I finished a Masters degree in physics.  My email addy is phyteach2001@yahoo.com

Regards,
Scott

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Ginna
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2003, 03:17 »
EVERYONE has been telling me how great Ginna is, so I was surprised to see 3 people had ranked it "Below Average"...maybe they could elaborate a bit so I'd know if I want to go this fall?

Thanks!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Ginna
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2003, 07:11 »
EVERYONE has been telling me how great Ginna is, so I was surprised to see 3 people had ranked it "Below Average"...maybe they could elaborate a bit so I'd know if I want to go this fall?

Thanks!

UncaB,

You cannot please all of the people all of the time.  I worked Ginna, and I can tell you it is one of the best-kept secrets in the nuclear industry.  The people there are the nicest people I have met north of the MD line.  They cover your back, and welcome you as family.  I cannot sing their praises enough.

Just my 2 cents.

Iowa_HP

Ginna
« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2003, 07:55 »
I worked the Ginna plant in 1996 and loved it! The people were great and treated me very well! Can't imagine anyone not liking it there. Mike was right, Ginna is a well kept secret!!!

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Ginna
« Reply #12 on: Jul 10, 2003, 08:09 »
Forget about those negative ratings.  I was a house tech there for almost all of the nineties.  Even though they fired my ass ( I had it coming ), they are still the best in my book.  Even though it has been over five years since I left, I can't imagine the place being anything other than fun.  If you're a roadie, you will love it there.  The only problem you will have there is if you bring a bad attitude (like the one I had).
The closest comparison I can think of is Prairie Island.  If you liked it there, you wil love Ginna.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Ginna
« Reply #13 on: Jul 10, 2003, 09:15 »
Worked Ginna in 1981 so I can't comment on today, but I had a great time and the people were very good to me.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Ginna
« Reply #14 on: Jul 10, 2003, 09:58 »
haven't been back since the late 70s, but had a great time there then.  anybuddy that hides a plant in a apple orchard definitely sets a tone.... ;D
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
Ginna
« Reply #15 on: Sep 25, 2003, 09:59 »
Well, decided I WOULD give Ginna a try and it was one of the best outages I've had since I went back on the road...nice people, pretty area, GREAT feeds (I gained ten pounds...Danny!), and we actually had enough techs.

Sure am glad I caught an outage before they get sold...everyone thinks it's gonna go downhill when/if the sale goes thru.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
Ginna
« Reply #16 on: Sep 25, 2003, 10:13 »
Sodus Point (20 minutes east of the plant) is a big fishing/vacation town...lots of fully furnished (linens, utensils, etc. included) cottages and vacation homes available by the week or month.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2005, 07:13 by Duke Nuker »

BLB

Ginna
« Reply #17 on: Sep 28, 2003, 08:45 »
My favorite site to work. The people are the best you could find. Always had a good time at Ginna. If your into archery, check out Rochester Hollow Grinder in Rochester. And if you do check out Rochester Hollow Grinder tell Dave I said BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
               B. L. Brownsberger

Gball

Ginna
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2003, 05:09 »
For those who care... ::)
Ginna was sold to Constellation Energy Group! Should take until June-July to sign papers.
[smiley=deal.gif]

IBENNUKED

Ginna
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2004, 08:29 »
The only disadvantage to Ginna is the cold and the wind, everything else was great.

bodyburden

Ginna
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2004, 07:10 »
Ya, it's cold and windy.  after the first night I rolled in, I woke up to 12 inches of snow on the ground!  But, if you can stand the weather, the people at Ginna are AWESOME.  They feed you, they treat you very well, they don't work you very hard, people are laid back.  The area was fun, once I got over the blinding blizards that came out of nowhere. "Lake effects?"  or something like that.  I stayed at some executive apartment complex in Webster NY.  Had a couple of roomates on backshift.  One of the nicest and cheapest places I ever stayed.  Training was exceptional.  The first Friday after I got there and spent the week in training, we all got invited to an opener party at a local bar.  After a few drinks with some old friends, we ended up in a crowd full of folks in scrubs, obviously techs.  They fully convinced me that they were road techs, working for another company on a split contract, and they kept complaining about how crappy it was there.  Later that night, I found out those guys were the RPM, RadOps Supervisor, RadWaste Supervisor, etc.  Their management is actually involved in the plant!!!  And they were fooling; it was a great place to work, and truly a well kept secret!

richardb52

Ginna
« Reply #21 on: Feb 18, 2004, 03:57 »
 :)  Great place to work.  I was there Sept, Oct of 2003.  Nice workout place, the Lead House usually got us all pizza or subs once a week.  Real nice people to work with.

Melrose

Ginna
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2004, 06:07 »
 :'( I believe all the praises regarding the "country club" will be dying away soon, as Constellation has Ginna now.  Haven't heard proof positive of new ownership, just think I recall hearing the news.  Don't think the people there will change nor the fact that it's a great place to work because of them.  Just don't think that the regular hang-out area will be alive much longer.

Chelios

Ginna
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2004, 11:20 »
I worked Ginna in '85. Apparently I had violated one of their unwritten rules and the Maintenance foreman took me aside, and in polite and very constructive manner, explained his expectations. It is one of the few plants that work as a team to get the job done. I hope that they don't change. And yes, the food is good and plentiful and they make sure that you have time to eat.

sly

Ginna
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2004, 05:25 »
Hi!

I'm new here and I find this forum very useful.

I come from Croatia (Europe) and I am working in a small contractor company providing support for Krsko NPP in neighbouring country Slovenia.

Currently a am developing Emergency Class determination program in accprdance with NEI 99-01 Methodology. I also have to develop a Emergency Action levels plan similar to one that is used in GINNA NY.

I have some questions concerning items on the mentioned plan and would welcome anybody familliar with GINNA NPP!

sincerely,
Silvestar

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?