Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Limerick honeypot

Author Topic: Limerick  (Read 29050 times)

beaker8372

Limerick
« on: Jan 02, 2003, 03:07 »
Talk about Limerick
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2008, 12:58 by Rennhack »

DainJer

Limerick
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2003, 05:09 »
Beaker....  Limerick  is an Exelon plant so 2 choices
either NPSW- "The Venture"...or work on the turbine floor with GE or Siemens not sure about which has the contract.
Metropolitan PA local handles the Limerick plant.
there number is (215) 569-1634

good luck

Offline TN-Man

• Light User
  • It's not the ending that matters..It's the journey
Limerick
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2003, 07:42 »
So what is going on at Limerick?? They called here this morning and said 14 techs left and they need people now. I'm thinking about going. Never been there.
Sometimes I look back on my life and think I could have had to work for a living. Thank God, I'm an HP.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Limerick
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2003, 02:02 »
Limerick just offered all of the techs here the option of working their 7th day because they are so short. When was the last time you saw 7/12s?

The plant is clean, the people are very nice and the conditions are good (if you don't mind snow). Unfortunately, if you aren't already here, it probably isn't worth the trip for a 16 day outage, and it starts in 6 days, so there won't be any lead time. Been here since the 2nd and I am enjoying it.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

themilitaryman

Looking for information and contacts at limerick
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2008, 10:01 »
I'm new to nukeworker.  I'm looking to change careers.  I have a Environmental waste disposal background along with 11 years of experience in instructing/training radiological protection, detection and decontamination from the military.  I have been out for 15 years but am very confident that I still have what it takes to do the job.  I graduated top of my class in the military.  As Instructor I achieved an 80% graduation rate.  I'm looking to get in at limerick, applied for a couple of training positions.  Looking for any information I can get and any contacts to talk to, please help.

Rad Sponge

Re: Limerick
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2008, 10:28 »
Check out the careers section at Exelon's web page.

I only know of 1 RP job at Limerick.

R/

Jason

Rad Sponge

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2008, 03:25 »
I concur with Illegal. Come in for the outage and you will have access to everyone you need to know. I am not at liberty to give out contact info, but if you PM me you can send me your resume and I will pass it on to and RP supervisor.

Jason

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2008, 08:10 »
just finished up at Limerick, (RP) and this has to be the "one" outage out of my 25 years that I will say "never" again .......the only redeeming  factors were the great house techs and it is a clean plant..........however the Bartlett office can really screw this up........ they hold this outage over your head.....in order to get into your next outage .....and they say , oh yea this will be a 4 week outage(ha, ha only 17 days when I get here) and after traveling through many states to get here, on the second week of 40's(joy!) in order to be rested for the outage  we get 4 days off in a row(with PD.....however who wants 4 days off in Pottstown , PA?)
well not enough contractor RP's available, so you spend most of the day running, but thats a standard now anyway......

well the big  burn on this job was the layoff......they  tell a few RP's oh yea you can stay a week or so after the big layoff, then turn right around and say sorry we have to let you go, so we can keep the Swedish techs......(I have nothing personal against the swede's)
but, the swede's contractor  does not have to bridge the swedes PD between jobs, let the utility pick up the cost...........the true cost is maybe next time we can look in over the fence and say.....we used to work in there........and for those who can offer patronizing comments, you will be  standing next to me looking over the fence.......

klsas

« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2008, 05:13 »
The Swede's and the Croatian were scheduled for first layoff. However, the four American techs decided to take first layoff. For various reasons, we all took the first layoff. That made the drywell extremely short of techs. They extended the Swede's and the Croatian at the last minute. What happened after we left, I have no knowledge of. I'm sure that thing could have been handled different after we left, but it wasn't the original plan to have the Swede's staying past the first layoff.

Keith

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2008, 12:23 »
Noticeably distinct is the absence of any Bartlett response, if Eric  could put a positive spin on this....  I will eat my  words....

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2008, 12:46 »
Noticeably distinct is the absence of any Bartlett response, if Eric  could put a positive spin on this....  I will eat my  words....

This is the explanation given to me...the reasons why the foreign national SHP were kept while Americans were getting laid off is because
A. the Americans were going voluntarily to get to their next site
B. Even though it actually costs BNI money to have these foreign nationals working and we would prefer they be on the earliest lay-offs due to the added cost of having them employed, early lay-offs are normally populated with 2 types of techs - volunteers that need to be somewhere else and the lower performers - so if there were SHPs that were laid off prior to the foreign nationals that weren't voluntary...well y'all can figure that one out yourselves.

now y'all can believe this explanation or not, at this stage of the game I really don't care as I have explained our relationship with foreign nationals plenty of times over.  Obviously nowhereman was affected by the lay-offs or at least was witness to them and I can understand his/her apprehensions but it has never been our intent to replace Americans with foreign nationals especially when it comes down to who gets to stay on longer.  Some of these decisions are out of our complete control when you take into account such things as performance, work group and site management input. 

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2008, 03:45 by Eric_Bartlett »
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2008, 11:26 »
I will thank EB for a reply......and I will make an apology for ranting......however I am certainly not whining......I am just a casual observer(that doesn't quite fit into "one of two types") just  trying to get my two 4 week outages in this spring....

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2008, 04:05 »
Well written EB, but                                                                                   and of course we can't forget about the                                                        and when we think back we must always remember                                             because it's the right

It just that Simple....RG!                                               

Offline Duct-Tape

• Light User
  • Silence is golden, Duct-Tape is silver.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2008, 01:12 »
Limerick station was good enough to supply hot dogs all outage.  This was very kind of the RP management.
So you wanabe a HP...

emd44

Limerick Outage 2009
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2009, 11:14 »
Hi guys-
I don't know if this should be in the region I category or here, but this area seems to get more traffic so I'll start here.  I live near Limerick [like 5 mins away, nice bedroom window view] and it should be going into refueling soon.  I saw the signs up at the training center for people who looked like they needed directions there today.  Anyway, I was wondering, after seeing all your war stories about wild nights drinking, partying, etc, if there would be any opportunity to meet with some of the people doing the refuel at Limerick after work, just to talk, etc.  I'm currently a student going for mechanical engineering and would like to know more about the nuclear industry, and maybe get some contacts and hopefully learn some things that otherwise I would probably have to find out the hard way.  Good luck at the outage and I hope to hear back from some people soon.

Thanks
Evan

Offline guppy

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Limerick Outage 2009
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2009, 03:11 »
Try stopping by the bar at Cuttillo's Restaurant in the evenings.  Seems to be a good meeting place after work.
Keep honking.  I'm reloading.

Offline WINSTEW

• Very Lite User
My First
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2010, 10:10 »
Working my first outage... Going to be down at Limerick for the 24 day run. Any advise? I'm hoping I can find some place to stay other than a $80/day hotel. Thanks

Content1

« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2010, 03:31 »
Limerick station was good enough to supply hot dogs all outage.  This was very kind of the RP management.

When I went to limerick they did provide hot dogs, but read the box they came in "Industrial grade."  The same kind prison's use.

I have a funny story of the Swedes.   They had this unusually attractive female who was drawing a lot of attention even though she did nothing to encourage it.   I ask the male Swede if all the Swedish women are like her.   He said, no, she is just "average" in his country.

Limerick was so bad I got gallows's humor saying to myself it can't get worse then this, always proved myself wrong each day..   When I was laid off after 17 days it was kind of a relief.  My RP procedures training consisted of a 20 question test with the answers posted on the white board.   They hired plenty of workers but no back up for the RP's.  When they took a break another group came in and we were stuck with little time for any breaks, and I had to sneak away even to get lunch of 10-20 minutes.   They gave us a locker but with no combination for it.   We had to dress in a coed area, so you wore swim suits to change.   It was the only place when I ask who was a returnee almost nobody raised their hand.  It was fun after a long shift walking up cardiac arrest hill to your car.   I have never been to Hell, but I have been to Limerick and it makes me want to avoid both places at all costs.

Offline Duct-Tape

• Light User
  • Silence is golden, Duct-Tape is silver.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:55 »
Hey, WINSTEW

There where a couple Hotels in Royersford, PA. Not to far from the plant that cater to the budget minded individual.  These are not 5 star Hotels. If I remember one was called the Royersford Hotel.  I can't think of the name of the other.  Good luck with your first outage.
So you wanabe a HP...

Offline WINSTEW

• Very Lite User
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2010, 10:11 »
I think I stumbled upon a guy renting out rooms in a big Victorian house in King of Prussia.... now if I can just figure out what my workday will include

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2010, 08:46 »
Just a hint.  If you are working evenings, King of Prussia is not the place to stay.  You will be driving with the rush hour traffic going and returning from work.  I only made that mistake once.  I stayed at the Days Inn.
LM

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2010, 09:28 »
When I went to limerick they did provide hot dogs, but read the box they came in "Industrial grade."  The same kind prison's use.

I have a funny story of the Swedes.   They had this unusually attractive female who was drawing a lot of attention even though she did nothing to encourage it.   I ask the male Swede if all the Swedish women are like her.   He said, no, she is just "average" in his country.

Limerick was so bad I got gallows's humor saying to myself it can't get worse then this, always proved myself wrong each day..   When I was laid off after 17 days it was kind of a relief.  My RP procedures training consisted of a 20 question test with the answers posted on the white board.   They hired plenty of workers but no back up for the RP's.  When they took a break another group came in and we were stuck with little time for any breaks, and I had to sneak away even to get lunch of 10-20 minutes.   They gave us a locker but with no combination for it.   We had to dress in a coed area, so you wore swim suits to change.   It was the only place when I ask who was a returnee almost nobody raised their hand.  It was fun after a long shift walking up cardiac arrest hill to your car.   I have never been to Hell, but I have been to Limerick and it makes me want to avoid both places at all costs.

If Limerick was the worst place you have worked, you have been amazingly lucky... and yet you continue to gripe about everything. Aside from the labyrinthine quality of the buildings and the tendency to get lost until you get used to the layout, I thought it was in the upper half of all of the places I have worked. As for the coed dressing rooms, you must have missed out on the real fun in the 70s. The hill wasn't much fun, but even with that Limerick still gets 'Not So Bad' marks in my book.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2010, 09:30 »
I didn't care much for Limerick either. I worked an outage there in the early nineties. At that time I can honestly say the contractors were treated worse than at any plant I was at, IMO.
Not all but some house techs, on nights would give out assignments to the contractor HP's and then go to their private break area where they rested. God forbid if you disturbed them. One of the house techs cleaned out a fridge a few hours into shift and threw out all the contractors lunches. He thought it was funny. The house foreman didn't care. One other house tech would regularly go into the women's lockerroom/ bathroom in the HP office. It was a lot cleaner than the mens room. He would take his Penthouse mag with him. The girls had to wait for him to come out. Her would be there for a while. I'm sure it is better now.

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2010, 10:11 »
I have worked at Limerick, Peach, Hope, and Calvert as an HP and within my limited scope of assignments, I never saw any of the aforementioned shenanigans occur at Limerick or the others, nor any sort of back biting, we vs. them stuff. It probably occurred to some degree and most likely still does at the personal level, but its not the business standard, that I believe from general observation.

I mean the 90s were at least 10 years ago right?

The hill is still there, though, that's for sure.

YMMV

Content1

« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2010, 10:20 »
Dude!!!!!!!!!

Do you ever have a good day?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?     ;)   :P   8)

I been to sites that treated you nicely,
At times provided lunch that were not too spicy,
Greeting you each day like like your not in the races,
These are just a few of my favorite places.

I've been to places with $212/day diem'
To places that are cleaner then most museums,
Positive attitude did each day bring,
These jobs were some of my favorite things!

When your lead bites, and the pay stinks,
And the hours bad,
I just remember my favorite sites,
Then this job's not - so bad.*

*(Sung to the tune of "Favorite things.")

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?