Envirocare

Above Average
1 (4.8%)
Average
5 (23.8%)
Below Average
15 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Envirocare Utah  (Read 23606 times)

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
Envirocare Utah
« on: Jul 26, 2004, 10:26 »
Started by request
Is it time for coffee yet?

Atomic_Punk

Re: Envirocare Utah
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2004, 03:38 »
Thanks guys.  That would have been my request.  Just curious as to what the place is like to work at.  I've checked the area out and it's decent.  Any info or
comments would be appreciated.  Thanks.

JassenB

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2004, 04:49 »
The area is really nice, and you're close to water activities on the lake and forest/mountain activities in the Wasatch Front, if that's your thing. Obviously, in the desert. Tooele is a nice, small town and housing is cheap (new 3 bd, 2ba houses can be had for $80k).

Downside: It's desert for several miles around, and it's 50% LDS (Mormon), so you get weird looks when you buy your beer at the grocer. :)

People I've talked to say it's a good place to work, and the Assistant RSO seems like a good guy.

-Jassen

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2004, 02:13 »
I've heard both good and bad about the place.  The biggest complaint I've heard is about the pay.  Any info on that subject?

TEAMSPADY

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2004, 05:54 »
envirocare is a good place to work if you do not mind extreme hot and cold, an hour drive to and from work, and surveying the same railcar over and over. it is pretty relaxed and most people are friendly. the decon crew is 85%  ex-cons, which makes up the largest work group. they were paying 17.00 an hour for juniors. 24.50 for seniors  plus full bennys including a ride to work. of course that was with the last rso( did I mention they go through RSO's like every month or two?).   besides the mind numbing work and frequent schedule changes, its not bad. utah is beautiful, with plenty of stuff to do in your time off.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2004, 02:51 »
$24.50!  Wow!  That's what they offered four years ago when they
offered me a job.  No, I take that back.  It was $24.00.  It's went up 50 cents p/hr.  I was hoping they would've tried to catch up with everyone else paywise.  Oh, well.  Thanks for the info.  Anybody else care to chime in?

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2004, 01:32 »
Another thing I was curious about was the big 'blow up' that happened
recently.  Supposedly managers and supervisors quitting, people getting fired, people walking out?  Any truth in this or is this all just rumors?  I'd like to know before checking into employment there.

fluxmama

« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2004, 11:00 »
AP, you might want to send Phurst a private message asking for info....he works there.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2004, 01:15 »
Thanx Fluxmama.  I'll have to do so. Take care.

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
Envirocare of Utah
« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2004, 08:42 »
Don't forget to vote. Please keep your comments civil.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006, 09:53 by Rennhack »
Is it time for coffee yet?

Ourhouse

Envirocare
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2005, 12:29 »
I heard Envirocare was bought out on the 1st of Febuary, new owners say they want to ban B and C waste in Utah. What are they thinking, Barnwell will not last forever, Utah has the space. I know Envirocare looking into Fuel Rod disposal plans, but they would benifit greatly adding B and C waste disposal operations.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2005, 12:39 by Ourhouse »

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
Re: Envirocare
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2005, 03:13 »
Hearing it was like a knife in my heart and the new guy likened B and C to the 'green clouds coming from the weapons tests of the 50's' They said they want to run the place without anymore press. We bought some extra land and I guess will eventually try to put more 'A' there. They also are trying to expand into other areas such as......I can't say, sworn to secrecy. The people of Utah, no knowlede of Nuclear Power, Robert Redford wanna bees, freak out over B and C, plug their ears and run. Even when sitting home because the smog is too thick to go outside and breath. Nuc Power BOOOOO! they say. Morons!
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2005, 06:08 »
New Owners?  Does this mean Envirocare's gonna up their wages?

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2005, 07:22 »
We're trying to surpass poverty. They opened up a Walmart distrubition center in Grantsville that pays better than starting wages for deconners so they upped the pay for deconners 11.50 - 12.00. Still, it's an hour trip out on the bus and the benes aren't as good. Probably more OT though. Walmart will steal many of our lower wage earners, no doubt.

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2005, 02:28 »
Anyone considering a job here and wants info, please feel free to contact me and I'll give them an honest appraisal, albiet, from my point of view.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2005, 05:23 by Phurst »

shawnderyke

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 08:49 »
I have worked for EnergySolutions (Envirocare of Utah, Inc.) for eight years now. I started out as a Mixed Waste Deconner and have worked myself up through HPII And now a Project Manager. I agree with the wages. It is now currently "industry wide". I have heard, with the new merger of Scientech, BNG America, and Duratek, that we are re-evaluating the wage schedule. I hope it will change, but who knows. As far as the area, we have places to hunt, fish, drink, hang out with your favorite girl, go for drives,wild animals, the pony express, gold mining, old ghost towns, hiking, etc., etc., just a few minutes from everywhere. It is a great place to work for if you can handle the hour drive each way as mentioned before. I am always on the road, but my home is based in Tooele. Love it. Would not move for the world becasuse of the mountains less than 5 minutes away! I won't promise anything to anyone. You just have to come out and experience it for yourself.
[/quote]

illegalsmile

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 08:18 »
I was out there last summer on a short term project. The biggest problems I saw were the production driven nature of the work and the outage-type hours. At that time, anyway, 60-70 hrs/wk was the rule. The people out there were great, although a bit different from the typical profiles you'll see at commercial plants or DOE sites. As for the area, it is great!!!! Hunting, fishing, hiking, skiing (possibly the best in the world), ORV'ing, resturants, shows, etc, etc. The worst thing about the place is that they only sell 3.2 beer, but it really isn't too far to Nevada or Idaho.
Did you say they were hiring?

jocro

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 10:05 »
60-70 per week, and a 2 hour dirve time each day!  Good thing you're only "minutes" from the mountains so you can spend all that "extra" time with the family, driving to ID/NV or  recreating....  Gotta love the opportunity in free enterprise.

Offline DecommMan

• Leave the Decommissioning to us.
  • Moderate User
Re: Envirocare of Utah
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2006, 04:47 »
Visited the site recently - lots of things going on there.  Set up for big things to happen.
Decomm Man

Offline nuclearnavajo

• Very Lite User
  • Well, I was poor and needed the money...
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2010, 12:21 »
Hired on at this site about a month ago now, it is very different, but doesn't seem too bad. People here seem to be alright. The jury is still out though. It is very different to go from power plants to a final deposition facility. Things are very different from what I had heard though. EnergySolutions seems to have pushed for the better since they took over (from what I have heard before and after I got here). If you want to know more shoot me a line.
Sleep is for the weak, and the Aux building.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?