Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Humboldt Bay  

Author Topic: Humboldt Bay  (Read 50935 times)

xynergy

Humboldt Bay
« on: Oct 09, 2007, 07:13 »
I spent about a year at Humboldt (2004 - 2005) helping them look for their "lost" fuel.  Interesting plant to work at.  QA Manager still thinks they are running an operating plant and accordingly, they are buried in procedures.  They haven't learned the lessons of the northeast plants that went through decommissioning.  It will be a long, long project regardless of what the schedule indicates.

For the most part the folks at the plant are great to work with.  I am not an HP, but an engineer, so maybe things are different.  Anyway no bad experiences.  But they do things the Humboldt way.

You are right, the plant hasn't operated in more than 30 years.  It is an interesting unit.   Bulk of reactor building is below ground.  There is no fuel transfer canal.  The fuel was moved from the reactor to the spent fuel pool via a transfer cask.  Whole operating floor area is no bigger than about 50' x 40' or so.  The T/G is about the size of a large truck.  The fossil units next door are bigger than the nuclear unit.

I thought that the plant was pretty clean.  Could go to the fule pool without PCs as well as most of the plant.  At one time the place was an alpha nightmare - most contaiminated plant in the US (even old timers agree about that).  There was a tremendous amount of fuel damage, but that was in the '60s and early '70s.  All that fuel was sent to West Valley for reprocessing.  Fuel pool was semi-cleaned up while searching for "lost" fuel.  Still has some issues.  Dose has pretty well died off.

The area is beautiful, but remote.  Plant is located in Eureka.  Not a lot of work, some logging and wood processing, but nothing more.  Arcata to the north is a left over hippie area.  Looks like Frisco in the late '60s (I am old enough to remember since I was a Deadhead).  There are two colleges in the area - Humboldt State and Redwoods College.  Lot of college students and college town feel, more so near Arcata.

There is alll types of housing available, but it is limited due to the presence of the colleges.  A lot of students never leave for the summer so nothing becomes available.  Number of good restraunts and great seafood.

Winters are mild, may get cold, but no snow, but you can see it in the adjacent mountains.  Does get cold, rainy, and wet in the winter (similar to Washington State).

Drop a line if you has specifics.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007, 08:28 by Marlin »

LaFeet

Re: Humboldt Bay
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2010, 11:21 »
Decommissioning is slowly starting. Still awaiting the new power plant to come on line prior to going full bore on the decom.  Managed to refill the vessel. 

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2010, 12:13 »
Any chance they will hire RAD TECHS techs in the near future ?  Thanks in advance

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2010, 10:59 »
We are in a holding patern currently. We're staffed up for current needs, but they do change. I wouldn't expect any RP staffing in the near future. If your young enough, check back in 10 years, many will be wanting to retire and there will be plenty of work left to do ;D

An earlier post refferred to Humboldy Bay as being the most contaminated plant in the US at one time. I would argue that the current Humboldt Bay has the most significant radiological challenges of the entire US commercial world. We have painted everything to fix the contamination throughout the plant and most of it is just a RCA/Rad material area. Very low gamma dose due to the CO-60 being in it's 6th'ish half-life. We have millions of DPM/100cm2 alpha in our systems and pool and up-side-down beta/gamma to alpha ratio's. If you have ever tried to detect and control alpha contamination with upside down ratio's and it's on and in EVERYTHING, you know what a challenge that can be. It is a slow and deliberate pace here, but it is not for the weak of heart, that's for sure!!! But it can be big big fun!!!
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2010, 06:58 »
I spent a little time there in '07.  Who has the contract now?
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2010, 11:34 »
I spent a little time there in '07.  Who has the contract now?

RP/Decon: Direct Hire by PG&E

Several companies on site with small groups or individuals, all in all a pretty small group for the whole project.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Iceman24601

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2010, 11:42 »
I still have family in Eureka and my grandfather was actually a welder/boiler maker that helped build the place.  If you're looking to move to Eureka please understand you only see the sun a few dozen times a year b/c it's socked between mountanins and the coast.  If you need the sun, don't move to Eureka!  All in all it's a good place to live.  For those of you not familiar with the area (not that I condone it) it's also the home of Humbolt Hash!

LaFeet

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2010, 05:51 »
Brett   I just noticed your quote    you are in the right area (especially large versions) for those..... although most have'nt showered since the last rainfall :P

adacrombiecat

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2010, 07:55 »
 Do they have the Fuel Racks Loaded Yet? Whats up next?

LaFeet

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2010, 02:54 »
The fuel is gone, the pool is almost empty/characterizes and we are starting to pull stuff off of the rx head.....hopefully I will be done before I hit Social Security :-\

go.nukes

« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2010, 09:34 »
Brett,
 Do you have a number up there for Rob Schnieder.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2010, 05:28 »
What part of PM don't you understand?

SMITE

go.nukes

« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2010, 05:35 »
There is always one...

LaFeet

« Reply #13 on: Aug 09, 2010, 03:49 »
Blades be coming out of the reactor - finally.  We have had an unfair number of challenges (ie problems) but the crew keeps on coming up with solutions.  I still hope I am out of here before I hit 62.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Aug 10, 2010, 04:08 »
  I still hope I am out of here before I hit 62.

Dude...There is no way you are getting out of here next year! ;D
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #15 on: Aug 10, 2010, 10:08 »
He still has a few good years left!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

LaFeet

« Reply #16 on: Aug 17, 2010, 07:10 »
He still has a few good years left!

Thanks Terry - though I dont bounce as well as I used too

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:31 »
Great area.   The Redwoods are all around, so some of the most interesting hiking trails in the world.  Also some good sea kayaking opportunities.  And they get a couple of decent bands through every week.

Plant still having some growing pains on the decommissioning.  Trying to overcome the inertia of 30+ years since operations, with the added burden of little or no nuclear experience in the craft ranks.  Also, some of the usual D&D suspects who would rather footdrag than accomplish anything.  And the expected 'reinvent-the-wheel' problems.  Still, there are some GREAT people on-site and I would expect them to mostly overcome these problems in the next 6 months, or so.

I definitely recommend it to anyone who can make it out here!  :)

Humboldt STINKS!  (Modified at the request...nay, ORDER...of the BOSSMAN!)  ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2010, 10:26 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2010, 06:14 »
What's the hurry? No heat waves in summer, fishing is great in the Eel River, local crab is cheap and beautiful scenery. Just be mellow like the banana slug! ;)

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:30 »
If I see one more person on here talking about the great scenery, fishing, awesome big trees, layed back mentality, friendly people, great festivals, great restaurants, great local music and artists, awesome farmers markets, small town-take care of each other mentality, beautiful hiking and rivers, no Walmart within' 80 miles, and the fact that it isn't populated at all...I'm not going to be happy!

This is the agreed upon response for those in the know...

Humboldt County!!! You don't want to go there!!! It rains all the time and the Hippies are stinky!!!

Thank you, that is all... ;D
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:53 »
You forgot all the smoked salmon you can eat at any roadside stand ;)

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:06 »
No comment from LaFeet ???
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:31 »
Great area.   The Redwoods are all around, so some of the most interesting hiking trails in the world.  Also some good sea kayaking opportunities.  And they get a couple of decent bands through every week.

Plant still having some growing pains on the decommissioning.  Trying to overcome the inertia of 30+ years since operations, with the added burden of little or no nuclear experience in the craft ranks.  Also, some of the usual D&D suspects who would rather footdrag than accomplish anything.  And the expected 'reinvent-the-wheel' problems.  Still, there are some GREAT people on-site and I would expect them to mostly overcome these problems in the next 6 months, or so.

I definitely recommend it to anyone who can make it out here!  :)

Humboldt STINKS!  (Modified at the request...nay, ORDER...of the BOSSMAN!)  ;)

Haha!!! Glad you stopped by for a bit UncaBuffalo...just remember, Humboldt sucks! ;D
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2010, 10:36 »
Why isn't there a poll to rate Humboldt Bay?

Is someone afraid we will unseat Diablo Canyon from their 'Best-Ever' rating? 

I smell a conspiracy!!!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Sun Dog

« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:38 »
Why isn't there a poll to rate Humboldt Bay?

Is someone afraid we will unseat Diablo Canyon from their 'Best-Ever' rating? 

I smell a conspiracy!!!

Knowing Humboldt, that probably isn't a conspiracy that you are smelling...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?