Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu practical hints  

Author Topic: practical hints  (Read 23609 times)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
practical hints
« on: Apr 11, 2002, 10:13 »
Just thought there should be a thread where posts could be placed to pass along helpful hints among the HP tech pool. Things like rules of thumb, helpful hints for dealing with situations, ways to do the job just a little easier with perhaps a touch of professionalism tossed in for good measure.
For instance, I have found that when setting up rad barrier rope that may be expanded or shrunk repeatedly for storage of RAM, a knot called the tauntline knot is invaluable.  This knot will stay where you place it and yet can be slipped along the rope run easily to shorten or lenghten the distance of a boundary.  
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Arrow

Re: practical hints
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2002, 03:01 »
One of the best pieces of advice given to me during my first week in the business was "Keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open."  Twenty some years later I still follow this advice.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 03:25 by RDTroja »

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2002, 11:53 »
Practical hints huh? Well this one works for me:

Whenever I get assigned a Rad-Protection Coverage Job, I say to myself " Oh C.R.A.P."
C: What are the Contamination aspects of the Job, and Protection thereof.
R: What are the Radiation aspects of the Job with thoughts of the Time, distance, and shielding requirements.
A: Are there any Airborne concerns to be addressed by Respo or engineering controls.
P: What are the Personnel monitoring concerns.

So, whenever the Supervisor gives you a job assignment, just say "oh C.R.A.P.
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

radrat

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2003, 02:50 »
R.A.S.P
radiation
airsamples
smears
postings

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2003, 02:53 »
Dark Matter - Excellent! CRAP indeed. I will remember that one! A karma dot for you.

Some of the most impresive techs I ever worked with or met:
Okay was their answer when asked to do something.
Negoaited with the supervisoer without arguing
Backed him/herself up with knowledge of the procedure.
Smiled

Then there was me...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 03:27 by RDTroja »
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

Pet_Cow

« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2003, 03:48 »
A standard piece of paper is 11 and 3 quarters inches long, if you don't have a measuring device for 12 inches.

(Editor's note: Actually it is 11 inches exactly, but the principal still works)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 03:28 by RDTroja »

Offline Nuclear_Dog

• First Line Greeter...have a nice day
  • Moderate User
  • Operators Rock...we get the whole plant a shaken!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2003, 01:54 »
If you're not sure what to do...........do nothing.  ;D

Not many people can do something wrong by doing nothing!
"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice."
Major Sidney Theodore Freedman

Offline idrum4food

• Moderate User
  • If ya need air, rope, or wings to get ta where yur goin, ya don't need ta go.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2003, 02:57 »
SloGlo, nice thread.
When working a DOE site, we had to run LONG lengths of rad rope between stanchions (usually a piece of rebar sunk in a 5 gal bucket of concrete) and would use a clove hitch to attach the rope to the stanchion. The rope stays tight without having to tie a knot. I'll have to try the taughtline.

Industry_event

« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2003, 05:55 »
Heather Hatton once told me the 3 rules to be a returnee.

1. Relieve on time.

2. Park where you are suppose to.

3. Keep your mouth shut.

My 3 rules  of road teching.

1. Deny everything

2. Demand proof

3. Keep it out of town. ;D

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2003, 09:04 »
want a fast check to get a grip on yer airborne filter to see iffen ya really got a problem?  gets yer meter (frisker) 'n get a count on the sample side of the paper.  then get a count on the back side of the paper.   subtract the back from the front 'n this'll give ya an idea how much alpha ya got there, 'k?  then iffen ya ratio yer alpha to yer beta/gamma yinze get an idea iffen yer sucking radon or iffen there's a real problem.  it ain't foolproof, 'n i wouldn't set respiratory equipment reqs by it, but it works when yer inna down 'n dirty!  helps when yer dealing with a lot of smearable h3 too.

roadhard

« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2003, 12:53 »
Believe what your meter reads.

If you don't believe what your meter reads - leave - and take the crew with you.

Chimera

« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2003, 02:37 »
Dang, Slogo - that's a new one on me.  How's about being a little more detailed for us old dogs who have trouble learning new tricks, please?  ???

I'm going to print out this thread, if no one objects, and use it for the juniors working here.  These poor people get almost no training and these little hints are invaluable.  Thanks to all present and future contributors.  You know it's bad when the techs think the RadWorker handouts I've brought in from other places are Tech training (actually, I guess they are to some extent).

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2003, 08:57 »
'k o the a/s thingie...
post sampling;
side a = sample side, inlet surface, aka dirty side.
side b = pump side, outlet surface, aka clean side.
read both side w/ frisker.  if side a has a higher count rate, you have an excellent chance of alpha being present as alpha will not penetrate the paper, thus not being detected on the b side frisk.  ratio the frisker values and compare against your radon ratio, if the ratios ~ match, you're seeing alot of radon and not much else.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 04:31 »
Write it down, who, what, where, why and how apply to almost any job. This way you have a log book to look back on in case any questions come up.

radgal

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 04:35 »
You can always learn something new.

stownsend

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 04:53 »
I'm in the habit of keeping a log book and have had to use it several times to find survey data or location of something I surveyed that was lost,what I was told by who ,when etc.
The most important thing I try to tell new people is read the procedures.It's hard to keep up if your on the road but anyplace that your there for a while learn them.They will keep you out of trouble if you know them and get you into trouble if you don't.

ageoldtech

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 06:48 »
The log book is the way to go! I’ve found that with age I have a hard time remembering things, even for a few minutes. Forget trying to remember meter numbers! I also make a copy of all the surveys I do and keep them in a file at home. This has come in handy many times. One thing I was told when I first entered the business was “Don’t look up with your mouth open” it’s hard to do until something actually falls in there. 

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 07:44 »
WD40 is great for removing tape residue.

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 08:00 »
WD40 is great for removing tape residue.

From you or the equipment? :)

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 10:02 »
From you or the equipment? :)

Yes.  ;D
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 03:04 »
A standard piece of paper is 11 and 3 quarters inches long, if you don't have a measuring device for 12 inches.

(Editor's note: Actually it is 11 inches exactly, but the principal still works)

iffen yer kneading two noe how far a foot is, oar thurty centymeters, use 2 won dollar bills as each is 6" long.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 02:56 by SloGlo »

coshaun

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 03:15 »
Never talk down to the crew you're covering. Treat them with a little respect.  It goes a long way in making your job easier.

radgal

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 03:17 »
I never knew the dollar rule, cool    I use my boot its 11 in. long

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 02:11 »
Another practical hint that really works:

When at a control point or on a Rad Coverage Job and a Overseer (Manager, INPO, NRC, etc.) comes by asking questions.

1. Begin reeling off all dose rates, contamination levels, job history, heat stress concerns, etc. etc. etc. that you can come up with.

The human brain can only remember 4 to 5 things at a time (7 if you're good). So the Overseer eyes will begin to glaze over after a few minutes and he will wander off not remembering any particular thing except a vague recollection that the Tech on the job has everything covered.
This really works, try it. You will be amazed how easy it is to get these people to wander off and go bug somebody else.
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2005, 09:37 »
Another practical hint that really works:

When at a control point or on a Rad Coverage Job and a Overseer (Manager, INPO, NRC, etc.) comes by asking questions.

1. Begin reeling off all dose rates, contamination levels, job history, heat stress concerns, etc. etc. etc. that you can come up with.

The human brain can only remember 4 to 5 things at a time (7 if you're good). So the Overseer eyes will begin to glaze over after a few minutes and he will wander off not remembering any particular thing except a vague recollection that the Tech on the job has everything covered.
This really works, try it. You will be amazed how easy it is to get these people to wander off and go bug somebody else.

Now THAT is a practical hint! And it works, too.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?