McGuire

Above Average
0 (0%)
Average
1 (100%)
Below Average
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: McGuire  (Read 31954 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
McGuire
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:28 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Stephenwolf

McGuire
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2002, 08:52 »
I really enjoy working with all the Bartlett Core at the other techs at all three Duke sites. Good Group of people and good Bartlett Co-ordinators: Phil Kelley, Rick Smith and Bill Mc Cleod.  :) :)

wave_theory

McGuire
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2003, 08:52 »
I worked an outage in '88 for Mr Osama in lower containment on days.  It wasnt bad once I got used to spending 12 hours a day in the can.  And I did develop some  good climbing skills.

My second outage in '89 working Aux bldg nights was a paid vacation.

Then I left a week before the first layoff and the RPM (cant remember his name right now) told me that not only would I never work McGuire ever again , but that I would never work a Duke plant again!   :o   It didnt bother me much then or now , but he sure thought I would regret it for some reason.

Stayed at some great campgrounds on the north side of the lake.  Summers are fun if you work nights and can hang out on the lake all day.  

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
  • Those who "can", "do", and go on to teach others.
McGuire
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 12:20 »
I worked as an RP house tech at McGuire from '81 (Unit 1 start-up) to '93. I enjoyed my time there. Worked with many good people, and made many good friends. Looking back, I'd probably still be there if circumstances had been different. McGuire RP lost a number of good people (myself included) because management failed to recognize and reward those hard-working folks who cared about the quality of the work they produced. Instead, we were told that RP management's expectations were that we carry the load for those who wouldn't (in addition to our own load), and that we'd be responsible for ANY screw-ups during our shift, regardless of who was at fault. One can only do that for so long before one realizes they're being taken for a fool. Working a rotating 12-hour shift alongside an idiot taxes one's resolve. McGuire RP management was reluctant to deal with those house techs who wouldn't work (or were incompetent), thus folks like myself got fed-up with it and moved-on. It's sad.

Iowa_HP

McGuire
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2003, 07:10 »
Worked last outage there. Site coordinator is Rick Smith, great guy to work for! (HP site coordinator)
Last I heard Bartlett still was not using automatic deposit.

hoser

McGuire
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2003, 10:04 »
Hmm.. I think I reflect that remark!  ;D  Been doing MNS since 84.Well now it is time to get back on the road and see some new facilities.Yupper, I put in for Turkey Point. I guess a 12 year hiatus from the road is long enough.
Hoser
PS. I hear that clams & lobster are a great source of diet food !

BLB

McGuire
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2003, 08:59 »
Can't say anything one way or the other about Mcguire. But I can say that Bartlett is direct depositing paychecks, your perdiem will come to the site your working at.
                   Brian

Offline "E"

• Light User
McGuire
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2003, 06:08 »
Only Core Techs get direct deposit... :(
"You can sleep when you're dead"

Brian_E

McGuire
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2003, 08:50 »
Only worked their S/G shotpeening outage in the 80's. Had a good time and was treated well. Haven't been back but if it is like it was then I would give it a definite thumbs up.

allforthenukie

McGuire
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2003, 10:37 »
Worked there in spring of 2001 and loved it! My job assignment was RP rover in lower containment for the outage.
Some impressions from what I can remember...
I really enjoyed working with the Duke "Core" techs. They liked to laugh and joke around and were lots of fun.
I found the house personelle to be cooperative and receptive to a questioning attitude and alara suggestions. The craft workers in the field were also very team work oriented in the way they interacted with each other and with RP. Quite rare, I thought, to see everyone working together so well, something I'm personally not used to.
Never been to an outage where everyone seemed to take such a keen interest in keeping up morale and making sure others was happy and enjoying the work.
Never been on an outage where there was this much eating going on either. Wasn't uncommon to order out for both breakfast and lunch every day.
The local area around the plant was very nice. NASCAR country I think. The weather was always great the whole time I was there. The local people seemed as down to earth friendly as I've ever met. The babes per capita ratio was higher than average in the Charlotte area, as I remember, so plenty of nice scenery for the drive home.
For lodging there was a decent place to stay on the other side of the lake with a nice bar and grill.
These are just my impressions from what I remember seeing there. I had a great time and can't think of one bad thing to say about the experience working that outage.

Offline lonelylady

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
McGuire
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2004, 10:49 »
I like working McGuire.  Have worked with RCP crew and as a painter.  The RP's were nice and friendly.  I do wish the women's dress out area was better. ;)

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
McGuire
« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2004, 05:31 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information for this area please post it here.

Cobalt_Cowboy

McGuire
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2004, 09:24 »
 >:(

I have been out of the travelling business for a few years until just recently.  I came back to the Duke system wanting to renew friendships with old friends and work an outage to get back in the Duke system.  Boy have things changed.  The working conditions, the quality of technicians brought in  and level of excelence among the Duke employees all together have sunk to levels I never imagined Duke would accept.  The road techs brought in were obviously the cast offs from other utilities.  Either so old and unable or totally green that no utility would accept IF they had the choice.  It looks like Duke will take anything Bartlett offers up.  Between old folks that can't climb and non English speaking HPs this outage was doomed.  The lead techs were either overwelmed with nuisense paperwork or horrific conditions inside the building.  Rad smearable EVERYWHERE in containment was the norm.  You would have thought this was their first outage.  Where was the planning, the preparation?  Duke supervision paid more attention to the minute things and less time helping out where they could. I hate to say I'll never go back but if anything including dipping ice cream at Dairy Queen is available I'll never go back to this place.  Too bad as this used to be an ok place to work.  Not anymore.  HORRIBLE RP management, under staffed due to 1980s wages, and scarey radiological conditions without basic RP needs like working hepas and sufficient meters make for a lousey outage.  2 words.   NEVER AGAIN

radwst

McGuire
« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2004, 11:33 »
The good ol' days are gone.  It has been over 10 years since I was there and I can imagine.  I remember the good ol' KMAC days.  House RP's were the best and very trusting.  The road tech's were pretty good too.  I can't even imagine going back to work there.  I would like to go back and just tour around one last time to all the old hiding spots in the building.  Duke has been going down hill for quite sometime   It's too bad.  I love the area and a lot of peop;e around there. 

Who is working for Bartlett there now?  I remember Pat Patterson, Fran Chuby, Turtle, Snodgrass, Richard Fox, Dickie Batchelor, Darin Wiggins, Richard Dozier, Kelly, and maybe a few more if I really thought about it.

Thanks, Radwst

Cobalt_Cowboy

McGuire
« Reply #14 on: Apr 20, 2004, 10:53 »

At least 4 dollars below the national average in pay

Worked the pi$$ out of you sending you down the road with 500-1R

RP management that is clueless

NEVER AGAIN

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
McGuire
« Reply #15 on: Apr 20, 2004, 10:57 »

At least 4 dollars below the national average in pay

Worked the pi$$ out of you sending you down the road with 500-1R

RP management that is clueless

NEVER AGAIN

So, we can put you down for "maybe"?
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

radwst

McGuire
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2004, 10:30 »
Night life in Charlotte, there used to a cool club called The Cellar, down on Morehead St.  Also, Coyote Joe's for the country hangout.

One of the smaller ones, used to be in Cornelius, Can't remember the name though.  It was said by the The Charlotte Observer, the women to men ratio was like 7:1 at the time.  It was also a big Duke Power hang out.

radman5030

McGuire
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2005, 01:04 »
Hey is Doug Hatch still there????  LPPDHASO

Brent Sherrill still there???

Would like to see the place one more time! :)

mnscore

McGuire
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2005, 03:08 »
From what we have heard they are 30 techs short. Atlantic is supposed to have the back-up contract and rumour has it they are paying 24 hr and 100 a day. Still not enough to have to work at MNS.

pappy

McGuire
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2005, 03:20 »
After last spring outage that doesn't surprise me. I would not go back even at those wages...

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
McGuire
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2005, 04:21 »
Doug Hatch left McGuire when GTS Duratek lost the contract with Duke Power, and last I heard, he was still with GTS Duratek, now as a Project Manager at Oak Ridge.
I believe Brent Sherrill is still at McGuire, though I don't know for sure.
I'm sad to hear that McGuire has become "persona non grata". It wasn't like that years ago.
McGuire has always had the attitude that it's sh*t didn't stink, and only after having moved on, did I realize that I had bought into that propaganda, hook-line-and-sinker. Treat people like crap, and they don't forget - plus they tell their friends.
A rumor heard here at Summer, is that Barlett wants to be able to have the HP's assigned here for RF-15, support McGuire on their off-day. A four-hour round trip up-and-down I-77 after working 12 hours is going to kill somebody. I've fallen asleep at the wheel, and it's not a warm fuzzy feeling when you wake-up and realize that your flying down the road at 60 mph.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
McGuire
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2005, 05:20 »
...A rumor heard here at Summer, is that Barlett wants to be able to have the HP's assigned here for RF-15, support McGuire on their off-day...

nice rumor.  thats all it is.  mcguire will shutdown and be over before summer staffs, so using summer's crew during RF-15 to suppliment mcguire's crew on thier "off-day" just dont make sense.  ie mcguire staffs 2/21 shutdown 3/5 for approx 5 weeks bring'n it to approx 4/9 or so at which time summer staffs 4/13 shutsdown 4/22. now if a tech wanted to work mcguire then transfer to summer for the outage we could try and work that angle, but your rumor is just that,  a rumor with no credibility.

Eric Bartlett
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

wrecked_edsel

McGuire
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2005, 09:00 »
Well here it is in a nutshell... If Mcguire wanted to staff all they need to do is  pay the money that the other sites that are staffed are paying, quite denying that it is a great place to work, treat people like they are welcome and not just a number to help them fill there staffing numbers. Untill Mcguire realizes that it is a sh@# hole it won't change...

wrecked_edsel

McGuire
« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:54 »
Who is going to take the house tech jobs open at MNS ? From what I have heard they have their offers out and nobody wants to own up to them except for 1. MNS has the ball in their court and everybody is hoping that they have made the right choices and offer some appreciation to some of their loyal core team. But this is Mcguire and of course they hate or dislike vendors (hate is such an ugly word) so would anybody expect them to do the right thing ?. Catawba has done the right thing and hired from their core and the Oconee team will surely pick from the core team they have but you always have the wildcard of Mcguire to hose things up and hire some off the wall people just to keep turmoil on the back burner. So here is to Mcguire do the right thing, this Bud is for you

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
McGuire
« Reply #24 on: Mar 24, 2005, 01:53 »
..... But this is Mcguire and of course they hate or dislike vendors (hate is such an ugly word) ......

Back in the 80's and early 90's, McGuire "liked" (if not "loved") their vendors/contractors. It was before the days of the "core techs", but we still had long-term contractors, that we treated like family. In fact, we hired a number of them when we beefed-up the RP staff back in the late 80's. I'm sad to hear that McGuire has changed that much for the worse, but I'm not surprised. Evidently, some of those in MNS RP management have forgotten their roots, and that they too were at one time vendors.
For what it's worth, McGuire has treated it's own Duke employees like crap too. McGuire wouldn't be such a bad place to work, if you could move some of the RP management "out-to-pasture". It's time they moved-on, for they have been in the same position too long, and McGuire RP needs fresh ideas.

Offline Showme T. Money

• Light User
  • Senior HP Tech
McGuire
« Reply #25 on: Aug 29, 2005, 09:36 »
I was one of there CORE techs fancy way of saying your stuck at a low pay rate for at least a year.  Did my year and left, havent been back since.  The people were ok, could make it hard if your not a good ol' boy.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
McGuire
« Reply #26 on: Aug 20, 2006, 02:46 »
This area is booming, for all of you coming in for the Fall 2006 outage there are lots of new stores, shopping centers and entertainment offerings here.

On Exit 18 off of I-77 (Hankins Road) you will find the Northlake Mall http://www.shopnorthlake.com/ which has a huge multi-plex theatre, high end shops and several places to eat. There are also a couple of new shopping centers on the fringes of the mall and further down Hankins Road the opposite way including a Lowes Grocery store which I fell in love with.

Among the selecton of shops the mall offers is a Godiva Chocolatier, Pottery Barn, Build a Bear, Ann Taylors and The Grape Wine Seller.

Fermi2

McGuire
« Reply #27 on: Aug 20, 2006, 09:48 »
When I'm in Charlotte I love eating at the Boardwalk Billys thats just east of the city.

Mike

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
McGuire
« Reply #28 on: Aug 20, 2006, 11:01 »
Downtown good Pizza (fancy type) at Brick Oven.  All kinds of different custom pizzas good old world style (wood smoke oven)

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
McGuire
« Reply #29 on: Aug 29, 2006, 09:02 »
But how is OPs?? I sent in Resume to OPs today and got friendly response (guy could have just deleated it and igonred, but he took time to fire back a nice note).  Cant be all that bad?? I hope!

Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
McGuire
« Reply #30 on: Sep 16, 2006, 08:35 »
Okay you guys here's a great place to eat if you like GREAT Chinnese:

Golden Taipei Chinese Cuisine & Sushi Bar which is located at The Shoppes at Davis Lake, 8511 Davis Lake Parkway, Charlotte. If you are staying at the Suburban Lodge on Harris Blvd go out to the light and turn left, go to the 2nd light and turn left. It is a few doors down from the Lowe's grocery store (another great find).

Food is served family style at table and believe me if you're with other people consider sharing a dish or if you want lunch for the next day order your own as they are not afraid to feed you!

Service was wonderful too, I believe Henry would give them 5 Stars just for keeping his tea glass full!!!

Average price between 7.95 and 9.25 for an entree. Domestic Beer $1.00 per bottle on the weekends.

Open 7 days a week, phone for take out 704-494-8688.

harrispb

ELT from NC needs a contact
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 02:55 »
I am currently stationed on board USS Enterprise as an ELT. I am getting out soon and would like to try and work at McGuire. I was hoping that there is an old Enterprise guy that works there that could help me out.

deelpickle

McGuire
« Reply #32 on: Oct 15, 2009, 08:04 »
Anybody know the key to getting an invite to take the POSS test for McGuire and Duke Power? They have the Learner position posted right now and I applied, but not sure when they do testing or anything like that. Anybody got any good info they can pass on to give me an idea? Any help would be appreciated. I'd love to get away from the railroad industry and get into a career such as this. At least it seems more of a challenge than inspecting freight cars and doing air brake tests.

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
Re: McGuire
« Reply #33 on: Oct 15, 2009, 10:47 »
Cant really tell you anything more than you already know

There are jobs posted for OPS learners at all three sites so the only thing I can offer is to go to the Duke website and apply on-line.

From what I have read they sometimes do not reply to applicants but if they are interested in you they would call for an interview and that is usually when the poss would be offered.

good luck

sf

deelpickle

« Reply #34 on: Oct 16, 2009, 01:22 »
Thanks Spent. I did go on the Duke website and verify that my application was complete and submitted. Maybe I'll get a call soon. Anybody got any clue as to this job. For example:

The class is supposedly starting sometime between March and July of 2010. If you pass the POSS and interview well, is there a chance they would bring you onboard earlier than that to get your feet wet and start learning the facility. Contingent on the background and medical clearances...

Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to a career change in a bad way....

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2012, 01:58 »

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:07 »
What an idiotic thing to do. (post modified by user to be more p.c.)
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2012, 12:31 by Camella Black »

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2012, 05:46 »
I'm sure he was merely trying to apply for a job at the site. ;D

Another recent "Darwin Award" winner electrocuted himself while attempting to steal the copper wire from an energized transformer at a Duke Energy substation. His "burnt toast" carcass was found when Duke Energy investigated the cause of a blackout in the neighborhood.

Offline EM1Badger

• Very Lite User
« Reply #38 on: Apr 07, 2012, 10:46 »
Anyone know when the next NLO class up is going to be?

HITR94

« Reply #39 on: Mar 07, 2014, 10:29 »
Newb here, both on the site, and in the industry.

Going to McGuire later this month for my first outage.  Looking forward to the opportunity.

A lot of the info in this part of the forum is dated, but its still a good start, as is a lot of the info throughout the rest of the forum. 

Thanks to all....

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?