Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Oyster Creek honeypot

Author Topic: Oyster Creek  (Read 72446 times)

Shrekster

Oyster Creek
« Reply #25 on: Aug 12, 2003, 02:21 »
Definitely. Management will run this plant now.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Oyster Creek
« Reply #26 on: Aug 12, 2003, 08:41 »
Definitely. Management will run this plant now.

I've never been there Shrekster.  Are you saying they didn't before?  If not, they had nobody to blame but themselves.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Shrekster

Oyster Creek
« Reply #27 on: Aug 13, 2003, 09:09 »
Like u said, you have never been there. GPU coddled the union like nowhere else and gave them what they wanted to shut them up because GPU was decommissioning OC anyway.

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
Oyster Creek
« Reply #28 on: Aug 13, 2003, 10:17 »
I worked with Ernie Harkness before and I think he is a great guy. The place will do well with him leading the way. You have to remember it's all business. I think they should all be thankful the contract problems didn't lead to pulling the plug. There's a few dollars left in the old girl, but not a lot. I hope they can all settle down and just run it right and safe. I think it will take some time. Bitter feelings have a tendancy to carry over for many years. Too bad it had to come to a strike. Good luck to all that work there.
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

carlosz

Oyster Creek
« Reply #29 on: Aug 14, 2003, 07:50 »
Union Membership Accepts Oyster Creek Contract
Vote Ends 11-Week Strike; Employees Back to Work.

Union members agreed Thursday to accept the terms of AmerGen’s final contract proposal, ending the 11-week strike. Employees began returning to work Monday, Aug. 11.
“Both sides made concessions,” Site Vice President Ernie Harkness said, stressing the company did not significantly alter its position on the work rule issue. “We learned a lot about running the plant during the strike. Those lessons
have enabled us to operate the plant more efficiently.
“With this new contract, we will beable to continue the excellent performance that a flexible set of work rules allows.” Two key provisions include:
• The contract provides for a 3 percent pay increase per year over a three-year period, increases
in the 401(k) company match, and additional contributions for employees over 50 years of age into their 401(k).
• The contract expands workforce flexibility by permitting employees to perform tasks outside their job descriptions for which they are trained and qualified as long as the work may be safely and properly performed. “We spent a great deal of time negotiating this contract,” Harkness said. “We believe it retains the company’s commitment to efficiently, flexibly and competitively operate the plant.” “We are confident that as we get our workforce re-established, we will be able to continue improving the operation of the plant with this new contract,”
Harkness said.

Exelon Nuclear. Dresden Iluminator. August 13, 2003.

The strike began May 22 when 217 union members walked off the job.  Nineteen individuals have since resigned from the union, having previously returned to work.
What happened to those individuals? Are they still members of Local 1289?

bronxcheer

Oyster Creek
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2004, 06:56 »
Is O.C. making any movement toward dry cask storage?

DesertRad

Oyster Creek
« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2004, 06:30 »
Worked refuel floor in spring '93.
Spent the entire outage just about every morning starting at the bottom of the stairs and deconning our way up to the floor. Seemed to be a pretty decent bunch of house folks.

Offline devildog

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Oyster Creek
« Reply #32 on: Nov 12, 2004, 03:32 »
did you hear about the worker who took a wire brush to his chest/nipples because he was affraid of contamination!!!!!!!! true happened a few days ago during the outage. worker never worked in a nuke plant and must of watched to much silkwood. Or is he trying to get a few bucks out of the creek? and how about that free lunch from rp management? they ordered enough food for half of the techs while the rest went hungry. then wackenhut destroying a house techs truck!!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2004, 05:07 by devildog »

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
Oyster Creek
« Reply #33 on: Sep 20, 2005, 10:06 »
I'm considering taking a job at Oyster Creek.  The last entries on this thread are a couple of years old.  Any updated info on lodging would be greatly appreciated.
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

radgal

Oyster Creek
« Reply #34 on: Sep 23, 2005, 09:46 »
That is my home plant I grew up there and my mom still owns a hose on LBI.  Contact me by PM and let me know what your looking for as I can probably help.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Oyster Creek
« Reply #35 on: Apr 20, 2006, 03:33 »
Is it possible to have "Oyster Creek" mentioned in a mainstream paper without the phrase, "Nation's oldest operating nuclear generation station"?

Just thought I would share a few excerpts from an amazing piece of investigative journalism in a NJ fish-wrap:

"Hairline cracks in the concrete shield around the reactor vessel at the Oyster Creek nuclear power plant in Lacey can't be dismissed as the normal products of aging.

"The cracks in the concrete wall should be one of those concerns because the shield is designed to a stop some of the reactor's radiation and heat from entering parts of the containment building on the other side.

"Independent experts who reviewed the NRC documents have concluded the cracks are normal, much akin to those found on weather-beaten sidewalks. But a nuclear power plant is not a sidewalk. The cracks may indicate deterioration that could have dire consequences."

Good thing they found out NPP aren't sidewalks. Hollywood will be relieved!

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20060420&Category=OPINION&ArtNo=604200413&SectionCat=POLITICS&Template=printart
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

Oyster Creek
« Reply #36 on: Apr 21, 2006, 12:33 »
IN 1986 I'm on a plane going home to Wellington, Ohio from Idaho Falls. There's a layover in Denver. The guy next to me notices I'm reading a text book about nuclear fuel and asks what I do for a living. I tell him I operate reactors for the Navy. The guy then says he's not anti nuke or anything but he's really scared that one day one of those reactors might go critical, then said he hoped we were trained for that.

I called him an idiot then went back to my book.

Mike

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
Oyster Creek
« Reply #37 on: Jul 04, 2006, 11:30 »
Oyster Creek SUCKS!!!
Swore that place off in 1992...i heard it only got worse..really bad contractor vs. union issues....
i said that i'd pick cans b4 i went back there! Ranks right up there w/ Pilgrim!

illegalsmile

Oyster Creek
« Reply #38 on: Aug 20, 2006, 05:50 »
low pay, high cost of living, no training, get fired for a worker doing something you specifically told him not to do......what's not to love?
can't wait for the out(r)age.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Oyster Creek
« Reply #39 on: Aug 20, 2006, 09:01 »
Make sure you vote in the "Rate Oyser Creek" thread.
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,1060.0.html

32% say it is above average, and 14% say it is average.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
Oyster Creek
« Reply #40 on: Aug 24, 2006, 01:43 »
Does anyone think that the renewal issue might be the reason they have been listing lots of jobs all over? 
Are they having hard time keeping people who see writing on the wall?

Rob

Absolutely!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

Oyster Creek
« Reply #41 on: Aug 24, 2006, 01:52 »
Same here, plus let's face it, the cost of living there is high compared with other areas of the country where nukes are currently being hired.

Mike

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
Oyster Creek
« Reply #42 on: Aug 24, 2006, 08:00 »
that place deserves what it gets!
it's a karma thing! ;)

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
Oyster Creek
« Reply #43 on: Aug 25, 2006, 01:46 »
Here is the lead sentence of a recent story; looks like the NRC is not yet giving the green light to OC.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission said in a report released Monday that the Oyster Creek Generating Station needs to commit more testing and attention to the possible corrosion of the reactor's liner before the plant can be granted a 20-year license renewal.

Full article:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/local/ocean/v-printer/story/6663970p-6531124c.html

elk1331

Oyster Creek
« Reply #44 on: Oct 04, 2006, 04:20 »
What is going on with Oyster Creek?  Is there a chance that it will not get its license renewed past 2009?  I am considering taking a job there and would like any input any of you may have, thanks.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
Oyster Creek
« Reply #45 on: Oct 04, 2006, 05:13 »
What is going on with Oyster Creek?  Is there a chance that it will not get its license renewed past 2009?  I am considering taking a job there and would like any input any of you may have, thanks.

It is not definite that they will get a license renewal. Take that into account when you are evaluating their offer. They should either be offering more money than the competition (or you aren't offered a job at the competition) or else there is no incentive to take a job where they could be shuttered in 3 years.

The good news is that if you have experienced OC 2006-2009, you are more marketable than before that experience. If you don't mind moving, then you can be in a good negotiating position with your next employer. And all indications today are that the house jobs at commercial nukes will be more available then (due to retirement of the initial staffs).

illegalsmile

Oyster Creek
« Reply #46 on: Oct 05, 2006, 04:12 »
OC is part of Exelon, which has 16 other units. If OC is shut down, I'm sure Exelon would place you at one of their other sites.

elk1331

Oyster Creek
« Reply #47 on: Oct 05, 2006, 05:02 »
If OC is shut down in 2009, could I get into the company and gain my SRO certification by the time it would be S/D?  Right now, they have stated that I would be slated for an SRO class in the summer of 2007.  I hear that the SRO certification takes about 18 months which puts me near the end of the license in April of 2009.  Plus, if they find out they are going to be S/D, would they even continue to train SRO classes? 

Let's say they do not, I am not a brand new employee with no experience looking to move to another plant, so I am at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to finding a new job.  I could just be let go....tough call.  Any other thoughts? 

I mean, if they would like me to come in as an instant SRO, I'm pretty sure they could easily place me somewhere else into an SRO class?  Right?

illegalsmile

Oyster Creek
« Reply #48 on: Oct 08, 2006, 08:34 »
It looks like we're getting a bit off the OC topic here, (wouldn't want to rile the Moderators), but to answer your question; the fact that OC has a position for you and wants you to go SRO doesn't mean any of the other plants will make you an offer. If you were already qualified, they'd probably place you, but I'm not sure that applies to someone in training.

elk1331

Oyster Creek
« Reply #49 on: Oct 23, 2006, 05:58 »
How is the outage at O.C. going so far?  Any word on the drywall liner inspections? 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?