Above Average
Average
Below Average

Author Topic: Salem  (Read 38089 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Salem
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:12 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2007, 08:23 by Camella Black »

Harpo

Salem Lodging
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2003, 04:52 »
Good Plant, good people (workforce Will work with contractors), good program. Organized and always PREpared for the outage. Area is a little sparse but breakfast at "The Brown Derby" is TOPS. =D  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

k-linegirl

Salem Lodging
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2004, 07:37 »
worked salem outages from 91 to 97. great place to work.
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2004, 11:22 by k-linegirl »

RADBASTARD

Salem Lodging
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2004, 07:48 »
also great contractors up there.

icallfouls

Salem Lodging
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 06:37 »
Worked there a couple of times at Hope Creek and Salem I & II.  The most recent time was back in 96/97 when there was an extended outage due to j-tube degradation.

If my memory is correct, I even worked with k-linegirl. 

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
Salem Lodging
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2007, 01:40 »
I was there fall 05 and this most recent spring 07.  The people are still great, and I'd go back again just for them....it sure wouldnt be for the weather but Im not one for the cold to start with. 

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
Re: Salem
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2008, 01:51 »
So how's the SGR going? Did they get the 1st generator out?

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2008, 07:41 »
Steam Generator #4 should be out tonight sometime.

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2008, 09:07 »
How was the idea of not using pipe end decon going?  Doesnt sound like a good idea to me.

metalx

« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2008, 03:18 »
How was the idea of not using pipe end decon going?  Doesnt sound like a good idea to me.

yeah, i soaked up 104 mr doing a simple task.  The first one in received 250mr with 40 minutes exposure. I received 60 in 20 minutes with shielding on the pipe ends.  St Lucie and Diablo both used PED and my job being directly involved with the open pipe ends for the duration of the S/G being removed, I only received 300mr at Diablo (entire outage) and 375ish at St Lucie (entire outage). 

I arrived at Salem last week, processed in, and have been in the plant for 8 days however I have been in containment for only 5 days with short scheduled jumps of course, I have already received 400mr and have been contaminated on EVERY jump since the first 2 generators were pulled.  Just doing simple things I have had up to 40MRad on my hands.  Dose rates are 1500/hr on the CL's.  There is airborne, most of us get daily body counts now :).

ALARA Who? What is that? Its something they fund because they have to.  Some of my brothers are at 1R now, and its only April 4th. 

Seems like a joke to me.  Does anybody remember the movie Envy with Jack Black.  They developed a spray that you apply to dog poop and it disappears.  Vapoorize.  This is what they used in substitute of decon, just put it on peel it off and the crap disappears, who didnt tell these guys that it only a movie?

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2008, 04:34 »
That's what happens when you let the foxes run the hen house!!! >:(
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

Melrose

« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2008, 10:11 »
That's what happens when you let the foxes run the hen house!!! >:(

I thought that there were "hens" runnin' that side?

Did ALARA make the call not to do PED?  I'm betting it was a decision made upstairs.  I think a better idea would have to encase the contamination until the job was done, but then that doesn't take care of the dose issue.  If the decision was made to "burn and turn", then more wienies shoulda been put on the grill.

Maybe ALARA should have crunched better numbers and brought that out to the SAC.  I find it hard to believe that the numbers you're heading towards were happily agreed upon, especially in this day and age. 

We could go all day making assessments from every angle, not knowing the real skinny, can't say who's really gettin' fat on this job.

Better luck next year.

;)

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2008, 10:49 »
Not sure if you can encase that much contamination (fixed) when there is grinding, machining , and welding going to be done on that pipe.  Heard their going to pipe end decon the rest of the legs, IF THEY HAVE TIME.   Heck ya might as well not even paint it Im sure thats how the pushers wanted it.  Amazing how some people keep getting put over these projects on the HP side.  Im sure the machinists and welders are getting their dose for the year.

Melrose

« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2008, 11:39 »
Not sure if you can encase that much contamination (fixed) when there is grinding, machining , and welding going to be done on that pipe.  Heard their going to pipe end decon the rest of the legs, IF THEY HAVE TIME.   Heck ya might as well not even paint it Im sure thats how the pushers wanted it.  Amazing how some people keep getting put over these projects on the HP side.  Im sure the machinists and welders are getting their dose for the year.

No question about it.  Just really surprised that someone even attempted the work without PED, time pressure or not.

ageoldtech

« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2008, 04:11 »
Melrose, the warnings were given, but not heeded.

Melrose

« Reply #15 on: Apr 05, 2008, 07:35 »
Melrose, the warnings were given, but not heeded.

That happens too much in this biz.  Have a good one man.  Nice hearin' from ya.

Duke_Nukester

« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2008, 09:52 »
A little observation from the 78' RP station!  I can pretty much put money on the poor rad-worker practices that cause a large portion of the percons. Dose?  OMG! 

As RP we are somewhat responsible for oversight of rad-workers in the field; however, it is not our responsibility; no matter who thinks so, to babysit a bunch of half cocked maniacs.  We must do our best to PROTECT the TRAINED rad-worker, and those who are willing to violate the procedural and regulatory requirements to "Get the job done" will ultimately have a consequence which could be, uptakes, percons, overexposures, etc.

We are almost past this issue with contam and dose on the 1 and 3 side, 2 and 4 are getting the PED.  If you as a worker at any point in the evolution of this project feel that you are not being protected you have the right to, step back, stop work, make notifications, contact regulatory agencies, etc.  If you are being "goated" by your management to work where you are not comfortable and their actions indicate you receiving a consequence for stepping aside of a particular task, then you are looking at possibly a hostile work environment or maybe even harassment!  For this call a lawyer and/or your union rep for further evaluation of the situation.

I think it would be a good idea for people in positions of BIG  decision making to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.  Is dosing guys out to get the world record SGRP worth it.  Would you yourself be willing to pay, out of your own pocket, to feed the workers and their families, as well as pay ALL their bills for the entire fall season that they will MISS because they got it all at your house in the spring.  As one RP said, spend the day - save the dose, let's do PED on the 1 and 3 side BEFORE we set the gennies, it could save your arse too!

I will be here only a short while longer then I must move on to "greener pastures".  I wish everyone the best and I do think if everyone will pay closer attention to how they're doing the work not just what they are doing we can help ourselves when no one else is willing.  PEACE

RADBASTARD

« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2008, 11:49 »
I heard that only 20 days in and they were laying off HP'S man what a crock of crap if it's true.
You expect to have a decent run for an sgrp and  POW RIGHT IN THE KISSER,HIT THE BODY COUNTER!

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
« Reply #18 on: Apr 06, 2008, 08:11 »
Haven't heard of any Techs being layed-off, some techs went to other jobs and some deconners were layed-off but they were all working the house side and not the SGR side.

vikingfan

« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2008, 10:46 »
No question about it.  Just really surprised that someone even attempted the work without PED, time pressure or not.

real or percieved ?

RADBASTARD

« Reply #20 on: Apr 06, 2008, 11:58 »
Idid
Haven't heard of any Techs being layed-off, some techs went to other jobs and some deconners were layed-off but they were all working the house side and not the SGR side.
I did hear it was on the house side

Cementhead

« Reply #21 on: Apr 07, 2008, 04:15 »
Everything posted on this string has been just about right on the money. Someone made a "command" decision to march on after the strippable paint failed miserably. The best thing to do would have been to pull back and do the abrasive for #21 as well. PED on #22/24 worked wonders...always the same thing huh? The word is that the TLC was to save 4 days of critical path and boo-coo $$$$...proof is in the puddin' The guys were angry with good reason.

Melrose

« Reply #22 on: Apr 09, 2008, 12:30 »
Everything posted on this string has been just about right on the money. Someone made a "command" decision to march on after the strippable paint failed miserably. The best thing to do would have been to pull back and do the abrasive for #21 as well. PED on #22/24 worked wonders...always the same thing huh? The word is that the TLC was to save 4 days of critical path and boo-coo $$$$...proof is in the puddin' The guys were angry with good reason.

Command decision, huh?  I wonder if the 'Commander(s)' held hard and fast to the sinkin' ship or pushed through the women and children so's not to get their feet wet.

If something doesn't look right, it prob isn't, what happened to STAR, self check, peer check.....?  Goes against everything that sites preach to contractors.  Shame on them.  Can you hear the flapper slam shut behind you when entering the RCA?  ;)

Well, it's all said and done.... glad to know that their spendin' the jack to get the PED done on the others.  Consider it fines for punitive damages.... :o

« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2008, 12:31 by Melrose »

Offline lauriema19

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #23 on: Apr 10, 2008, 07:50 »
Yeah..good place to work for. I been there 3 times when I was new in the business junior hp. I love it out there, the house techs are very nice so is the RPM. I would go back there anytime even.  Bill Breen is a good coordinator.  Laurie Manuel

Offline LOKI RAD

• Light User
  • Don't Lie To Me Again!
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 05:40 »
Bill Breen is a shoot ya straight coordinator for Bartlett.

Larry Booker is a shoot ya straight coordinator for Atlantic.

Salem is a good, hard working experience. Good people, excellent food.

Many a good time there. ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?