Oconee

Above Average
0 (0%)
Average
1 (100%)
Below Average
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Oconee  (Read 115296 times)

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Re: Oconee
« Reply #100 on: Nov 01, 2010, 02:03 »
Borntodothis   well spoken for a Big Blue supervisor  8) :)

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #101 on: Nov 01, 2010, 02:31 »
Borntodothis   well spoken for a Big Blue supervisor  8) :)

Yeah!! Anyone who believes someone should go to work and do what they agreed to do MUST be a Bartlett shill!!

If only we had a Union to stop that from happening.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
« Reply #102 on: Nov 01, 2010, 06:16 »
What happened to the days where we came and did whatever they asked and didn't cry and whine about the job we are lucky to have?

I guess there isn't supposed to be a technician with a questioning attitude or ALARA suggestion at your plant. I remember the old days when it was burn out the contractors, take care of the locals/core techs, don't question how we do things because "it' our way or the highway".

According to the techs working the outage there, they are very short staffed. Guess you get what you pay for (or not).

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #103 on: Nov 01, 2010, 07:46 »
Sounds like maybe this could be a TV drama " as Oconee turns" but I would take this over the bread, wellfare and unemploy. line any day. If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #104 on: Nov 01, 2010, 08:29 »

The mentality of the Bartlett RPS at Oconee.  No one is lucky to have the lowest paying SR RP job in the industry BOBBI !!!!
THEY ARE ARE LUCKY ANYONE CAME AT ALL !!!!

right out of his mouth "What happened to the days where we came and did whatever they asked and didn't cry and whine about the job we are lucky to have?  "

Fermi2

« Reply #105 on: Nov 01, 2010, 08:40 »
Earning your pay and doing a good job while obeying the rules is considered Pro Management?

I call it work ethic myself.

borntodothis

« Reply #106 on: Nov 01, 2010, 09:47 »
Look all I'm saying is that its not that bad. Heaven for bid you have to work for 8hrs out of a 12hr day and come on. I am a Jr RP this is the lowest paying job that I have had in years and I made this choice. So I come to work and i do a good job because i have shelf respect. And like i said this place ain't perfect but it is what it is. And all of the returnees no that. Far as the good old boys they work the crap out of them also. And just so there is no issues this is the Bobby III. And i am just a Jr RP and yes the pay for us is low but we agreed to it. and yes on average i get a 15min break in the morn and a 30 min for lunch when I'm lucky. and sometimes they stick you in the building for 7hr. and for the SR RP out there god help you. You may have to rap your own RO-20. I'm sorry if this upset any of my friends out there but if you have a problem with this place we will be gone really soon. Hope everyone has a great day.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #107 on: Nov 02, 2010, 07:38 »
Wait.....am I hearing this right?  No more 3 hours in 9 hours out at Oconee?   ::)

"You may have to rap your own RO-20"

Just dont make me sing to my teletector........ ;)

"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline Maverick

• Very Lite User
« Reply #108 on: Nov 03, 2010, 08:52 »
I think the key thing to remember is this is business not personal.  Stay or go based on what you think is valuable.  I always came here because I liked the people and the area; those where valuable to me.  When those things no longer dominate my experience here, then where I go will become a pure business choice.  Translation: all things being equal, I'll choose where to work based on money. It's just business.

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #109 on: Nov 03, 2010, 05:55 »
Thats it!!!! we all have a choice in life and if you don't like it here then just go away and find out how those high paying job sites treat you as a person and respect as a contractor. I'll be willing to bet then you would want back here, I worked two of them in the past spring first one I played he-- to get a 10 min lunch everynight the second I could tell you story's about it to but why,it don't solve a thing,me myself I like the respect and confidence they put upon me here in the DUKE system and with that I try to show it in return. Don' Bi---- you could be in the real world working for less
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Offline Maverick

• Very Lite User
« Reply #110 on: Nov 05, 2010, 06:04 »
I don't like outages. It's the reason I spend most of my time doing DOE or other work.  I've been at this too long to get worked up about it.  When it becomes too much of a pain in the rear end, I opt out.  Many of us old timers bailed for other venues in the early 90's.  Things are better than back then.  I have very few bills and more options then I used to.  I haven't decided whether I'll do the Oconee spring outages.  I'll do like Duke does and wait until the last minute to really think about it.   8)

Offline spunger

• Lurker
« Reply #111 on: Nov 07, 2010, 04:34 »
This is for all you folks who think it is okay to overwork someone, no it isn't. This working folks at Oconee with a heavy hand is gonna be proven it is the wrong way to lead, come next season when we have to pick between Oconee and Catawba. Wonder where 90% of the folks will be working? Pretty sure it will be Catawba. And Bobby III just because you are a Junior, does not mean you should be abused, making folks do 12 hour jumps is ridiculous, and you do not deserve to have to jump for 12 hours. This is not like a regular job, 8 hours or even 10 hours, 12 hours is tough on a person, especially after already working an outage, Oconee is going to have to step back and look at the way they are leading, and reevaluate and change it, or they will be short for years to come.....

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #112 on: Nov 07, 2010, 08:21 »
Jeez Sun Dog what is it you do?  You where dishing the West Valley techs on that thread calling them dirt techs without even knowing what they do there 2 days ago. Now the RP's at Oconee do not have a real job.  I have climbed up and down those "D" rings and it gets old quick.  I have a friend that is a JR.  at Oconee who is exhausted and under 30 years old.  The word is Oconee is 20 SR's short.

Sun Dog

« Reply #113 on: Nov 07, 2010, 10:48 »
Jeez Sun Dog what is it you do?  You where dishing the West Valley techs on that thread calling them dirt techs without even knowing what they do there 2 days ago. Now the RP's at Oconee do not have a real job.  I have climbed up and down those "D" rings and it gets old quick.  I have a friend that is a JR.  at Oconee who is exhausted and under 30 years old.  The word is Oconee is 20 SR's short.

Check my posts.  I never called the West Valley Techs "dirt techs."

Check my posts.  I never said the RP's at Oconee did not have a real job.

Get your facts straight before accusing me of crap I did not write.

BTW, try climbing those D-Ring ladders hauling welding leads instead of a RadEye and a pack of smears.  Then tell me how tired you are.  Get real.  Being an HP is not that tough, physically or mentally.  You want a physical challenge?  Try pulling the trigger on a 90-pound jackhammer or building scaffolds for a 10-hour shift.  You want to be mentally exhausted at the end of the day?  Try your hand at being a PE or an SRO at a commercial site.

« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2010, 12:20 by Sun Dog »

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #114 on: Nov 07, 2010, 11:45 »
Nice to hear we are not worth a S--T to you  8)

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #115 on: Nov 08, 2010, 02:47 »
Check my posts.  I never called the West Valley Techs "dirt techs."

Check my posts.  I never said the RP's at Oconee did not have a real job.

Get your facts straight before accusing me of crap I did not write.

BTW, try climbing those D-Ring ladders hauling welding leads instead of a RadEye and a pack of smears.  Then tell me how tired you are.  Get real.  Being an HP is not that tough, physically or mentally.  You want a physical challenge?  Try pulling the trigger on a 90-pound jackhammer or building scaffolds for a 10-hour shift.  You want to be mentally exhausted at the end of the day?  Try your hand at being a PE or an SRO at a commercial site.

Maybe it was inferred here:

That would be frightening.  A self-described dirt surveyor DOE tech asked to do job coverage and finds out he/she is critical path?  And nobody to turn to for help but a handful of fellow dirt surveyors? 

In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #116 on: Nov 08, 2010, 02:53 »
or maybe it was inferred here:

post by spunger
"This is not like a regular job... "

Reply by sundog
"True if by "this" you mean an RP Tech.  It is much less taxing (physically and mentally) than most."
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2010, 02:57 by techtoolong »

Offline owsi84621

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #117 on: Nov 08, 2010, 03:39 »
I have sat quietly and read what you are arguing about. I am the other side of the equation here. I am a mechanic. I take RP's with me when we get coverage, they stay as long as I do. 4 to 5 hours on a jump. None of them that I have seen or know have stayed 12 hours in the can. We may have stayed at work 12 hours or a little longer, but it's what you get paid to do. Go to Catwba and enjoy I will be here with the good hard working techs who care and aren't whining about a little work.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #118 on: Nov 08, 2010, 09:27 »
The whole 'dirt surveyor' term would have never entered my lexicon if it were not for a recent post from a DOE 'tech'...

I agree, but it was still inferred by your post.  You denied making the inference.
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #119 on: Nov 09, 2010, 08:33 »
After further review, you can forget submitting the entry logs as evidence of a 12-hour dive.  Most RP techs falsely rack up RCA hours by logging onto an RWP at the start of the shift and not logging off until the end of the shift.

Not here at Oconee. If you stay logged on during breaks and lunch you will be in the RPM's office explaining why! They check and anyone signed in more than six hours straight will be there explaining that also. Its hard to rack up hours by staying logged in here. RP's are no different han any other employee when it comes to putting extra hours on the RWP.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #120 on: Nov 09, 2010, 09:27 »
Thanks for confirming the claims of 12-hour dives are BS.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear here. If you are in the building working for 12 hours then it is ok to remain logged on for 12 hours. However when you exit the RCA it is required that you sign off. If you are called on the carpet then just tell the RPM that you were actually working and it is ok.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #121 on: Nov 09, 2010, 09:40 »
Federal law requires a 30 min lunch break in a 8 hr day. It's unlikely anyone worked more than 6 hours without any break what so ever.

CORRECTION:

Federal law DOES NOT require that employees be given lunch breaks, but many state laws do.
South Carolina DOES NOT have a law requiring lunch breaks.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/meal.htm

The states that require lunch breaks at every shift are California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Washington and West Virginia. The states that require break periods every several hours are California, Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon and Washington.
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2010, 01:57 by Rennhack »

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #122 on: Nov 09, 2010, 09:51 »
Federal law requires a 30 min lunch break in a 8 hr day.  It's unlikely anyone worked more than 6 hours without any break what so ever.

This is true and I doubt very seriously if anyone actually stayed in the building 12 hours. I know the folks that work for me don't because I won't let them. I will give them a break myself if necessary. I am sure if someone is forgotten about on the other side, all they have to do is call and say "I need a break" and they would get one.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
« Reply #123 on: Nov 09, 2010, 11:20 »
So, it seems to me what Henry is trying to say is that if an Oconee RP tech produced an RCA entry log showing that they were logged onto an RWP for 12 consecutive hours that they either are violating station policy by not logging out and will be called onto the carpet for it, or they are violating Federal law.  Either way, something ain't right. 

Back to square one, any claim that RP techs at Oconee are forced to work 12-hours without a pee break is BS.

Nope,  what I am trying to say is that if someone was logged on and actually inside the RCA working then it is ok to be logged on for 12 hours. The station policy is that if you are out of the RCA then you have to be logged off. If you are inside the RCA then you have to be logged on and that is ok ,but you will still be asked why you were logged in for more than 6 hours. If your answer is I was in the building working then the matter is closed. If your answer is I forgot to log out then there is a problem. As far as the federal law thats not for me to debate here. I do know that my bladder can't hold it for 12 hours so I would have to get a break in there somehow. However I don't have time to try and keep up with every group here so what someone else is saying could be the truth! I simply don't know for sure what the other depts are doing all the time.

Offline nukems

• Light User
« Reply #124 on: Nov 09, 2010, 11:26 »
Sundog there are restrooms inside the RCA at all Duke plants

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?