Oconee

Above Average
0 (0%)
Average
1 (100%)
Below Average
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Oconee  (Read 115283 times)

Offline Neutron234

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Oconee
« Reply #50 on: Jul 16, 2007, 09:57 »
Hi, I recently left Brunswick with over 4 years of nuclear power plant operations experience as an NLO for a contract postition out west for a couple of years. After this, I would like to move back east and I have both Oconee and Vogtle in mind. If needs be, I would be willing to get some AO experience and then pursue and RO and then an SRO license career path at one of these units. Can anyone tell me what the starting salaries of either of these units are? Also, I do have a BS in Engineering (no interest in being an Engineer though at either of the plants, though). Some other questions I have are as follows: What sort of time frame would be likely for an experienced NLO such as myself? How frequent are the refueling outages? Are they staggered by 8 months a piece? Do operators qualify on all 3 units, or does each unit have it's own set of operators? How much overtime is available during the outages? (since I am likely to take a pay cut, this would help ease things a little during the qual process). Any info that any of you can give me would be appreciated.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.  - Mark Twain

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #51 on: Jul 17, 2007, 06:32 »
Hi, I recently left Brunswick with over 4 years of nuclear power plant operations experience as an NLO for a contract postition out west for a couple of years. After this, I would like to move back east and I have both Oconee and Vogtle in mind. If needs be, I would be willing to get some AO experience and then pursue and RO and then an SRO license career path at one of these units. Can anyone tell me what the starting salaries of either of these units are? Also, I do have a BS in Engineering (no interest in being an Engineer though at either of the plants, though). Some other questions I have are as follows: What sort of time frame would be likely for an experienced NLO such as myself? How frequent are the refueling outages? Are they staggered by 8 months a piece? Do operators qualify on all 3 units, or does each unit have it's own set of operators? How much overtime is available during the outages? (since I am likely to take a pay cut, this would help ease things a little during the qual process). Any info that any of you can give me would be appreciated.

Hmmm, Looks like BZ slept peacefully through the night.   ;)

Up at the top, there is a search feature. All of your questions can be answered by searching through previous posts. Consider this an early part of your training. After you have searched and reviewed information already posted, feel free to followup in those forums for more detail.
Peace,

Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #52 on: Jul 17, 2007, 08:23 »
Hmmm, Looks like BZ slept peacefully through the night.   ;)

He is a busy man these days, being the leader of the pack on shift and hangin out with the heads of state.   He needs to get his rest.   It's no fun when the SM is on edge ;D
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Offline Neutron234

• Light User
« Reply #53 on: Jul 17, 2007, 09:14 »
Actually, I have researched many items, though some of the posts are 2 years or older and I was just trying to get some more recent info if possible. I will try to contact the ops manager at a good time as that is usually informative. In the meantime, I will continue my search as you instructed and see what else I can find out. Thanks.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.  - Mark Twain

wglewallen

« Reply #54 on: Jul 19, 2007, 10:40 »
Left Oconee about June 6, 2007 been going there since 84..one of the best plants to work for that I have ever been to. Yes, they do have SRO's for each unit but, I think the AO's are all over the plant. They are the greatest bunch of people that you could ever want to meet. Not like some plants that treat you like you are dirt, I won't mention any one plant in particular. I will add this...they have always treated me good.   

FatMalky

« Reply #55 on: Aug 10, 2007, 10:41 »
Left Oconee about June 6, 2007 been going there since 84..one of the best plants to work for that I have ever been to. Yes, they do have SRO's for each unit but, I think the AO's are all over the plant. They are the greatest bunch of people that you could ever want to meet. Not like some plants that treat you like you are dirt, I won't mention any one plant in particular. I will add this...they have always treated me good.   

C'mon G, mention that plant!!   :)

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #56 on: Nov 04, 2007, 05:52 »
I knew a Harry Pope at Oconee in 85. He was there as a rent-a-tech then went house. Is this the same one?

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #57 on: Nov 07, 2007, 11:06 »
Duke Power has extended the Bartlett contract through 2009 at the same pay, per diem and travel. :(.   I guess contract R.P does not deserve cost of living adjustment.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #58 on: Sep 18, 2008, 12:03 »
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/event/en.html#en44483
Two fatalities in the industry reported in one day - Monti was the other. Sad to hear, condolences to the worker's family.  :(
Fatality classed as work related - anybody got any more info?
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #59 on: Sep 18, 2008, 04:44 »
Duke Power has extended the Bartlett contract through 2009 at the same pay, per diem and travel. :(.   I guess contract R.P does not deserve cost of living adjustment.

Are you sure? I was under the impression that Seniors going to Oconee recieved a $3 an hour raise.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2008, 10:05 by Camella Black »

hockygiant

« Reply #60 on: Sep 27, 2008, 02:08 »
Hello,

Looking for a contact for the contracting company that handles the I&C Techs for Oconee.

Would be interested in making the upcoming outage.

Thanks,

hockeygiant

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #61 on: Apr 06, 2009, 10:09 »
Can someone provide me with an RP contact name/email address?  Please PM me.

Thanks!!

Lorrie

Offline owsi84621

• Light User
« Reply #62 on: Apr 08, 2009, 05:38 »
DZ Atlantic

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #63 on: Apr 08, 2009, 08:42 »
I'm looking for someone that is in-house, not a contracting company....

Thanks!

Fermi2

« Reply #64 on: Apr 08, 2009, 10:27 »
Lorrie check your private messages!
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2009, 10:27 by Broadzilla »

JavaJoe

« Reply #65 on: Jun 03, 2009, 09:09 »
Phil Kelley 864 885-3212

RP Supervisor

jackstuart1

« Reply #66 on: Nov 12, 2009, 11:58 »
What's going on with the vessel head and potentially damaged fuel at Oconee 1??

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #67 on: Nov 13, 2009, 06:14 »
Nothing potential about it. We just got some pictures. Not all the bundles were fully inserted and they put the upper internals in.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #68 on: Nov 14, 2009, 12:22 »
Those pictures were incredible! This is very bad news :-X

Is it bad enough to not recover from?
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2009, 12:24 by Brett LaVigne »
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline 5kip6

• Light User
  • All's great!
« Reply #69 on: Nov 14, 2009, 05:03 »
Where are the pics,  would like to see damage!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #70 on: Nov 14, 2009, 09:09 »
sounds like a long term outage....
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #71 on: Nov 14, 2009, 09:16 »
The fuel damage at Trojan during an early 80's RFO was much worse than what I saw in the Oconee pictures and Trojan recovered nicely.

Right, but how will this impact a plant that is already through 25 or 30 years of run time? I haven't worked there before so I don't know the general condition of the plant or its history. Seems like the bill on this might outweigh fixing it.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Fermi2

« Reply #72 on: Nov 15, 2009, 07:15 »
Right, but how will this impact a plant that is already through 25 or 30 years of run time? I haven't worked there before so I don't know the general condition of the plant or its history. Seems like the bill on this might outweigh fixing it.

It has 24 years left on it's license and has historically been a good performer. They'll fix it.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #73 on: Nov 15, 2009, 07:59 »
Where are the pics,  would like to see damage!

Picture a 14' fuel bundle crammed into a 13'10" space. This did not look like new fuel either.

jackstuart1

« Reply #74 on: Nov 16, 2009, 02:15 »
Were the damaged assemblies new (unirradiated) fuel or used fuel??  If used fuel, did containment have an airborne excursion when it happened and did alpha contamination increase significantly?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?