Oconee

Above Average
0 (0%)
Average
1 (100%)
Below Average
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Oconee  (Read 115291 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Oconee
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:30 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Oconee
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2002, 06:39 »
usta be the favorite plant of mine to go to!, course, that wuz inna 70s, but it wuz welll, run, lots of different types of affordable housing, enertainment wuz available, 'n the geography is superbe wid lakes 'n hills 'n everything a man could want.... the wimmen wuzn't bad neither ;)
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Stephenwolf

« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2002, 08:54 »
I really enjoy working with all the Bartlett Core at the other techs at all three Duke sites. Good Group of people and good Bartlett Co-ordinators: Phil Kelley, Rick Smith and Bill Mc Cleod.  :) :)

cram66

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2002, 04:44 »
Oconee is a good place to work an outage... the layout of the facility is easy to remember.. the best thing about the area its located in, is the scenery and the diving ;D ;D i know when i get to oconee i can always look forward to some deep diving in that cold mountain lake water.. jocassee lake. nelson gardner and his people are great to work with too...........

Offline lonelylady

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2003, 06:57 »
:o  I like working Oconee, expecially when I get to pick on the RP's on the Turbin deck.  Everybody is really nice to work with.   My motto is SMILE, it makes people wonder what your thinking about!!!!!!!!!!

beachsun

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2003, 08:05 »
Just returned from Oconee last week. I've worked outages there since 1988. I always look forward to returning.
I like working there for several reasons, a contract worker is not looked down on and treated like one of their own.

The area has some type of recreation for everyone.

The rental rates are great and the area has lakes for fishing and boating. Its just a beautifull area.

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 11:31 »

nope, never a kmacer..... alwaze a rad man!

Me too. I was there for the core barrel work  and other stuff, intermittent 81-83. Neat place. Had Melvin Smith, worth the price of admission. the added plus was Mike Boyle and 15 -20 other really fun people. I loved the area, the lakes and bass, mountains. You could follow the Tiger Paws to a football game. The site was alright when I was there and they treated everyone decent.  
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

mauijoe

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2003, 02:53 »
AMEN!!!! Right on Exposed One!  Remember....at Duke, Safety is ALWAYS first...unless it MIGHT impact the schedule!!!  This whole thing has been a nightmare from a bad movie.  Duke would never even have addressed the Chromates if it hadn't been for several work groups refusing to work until they got answers.  And those groups would not have demanded answers if it hadn't been for the few of those that understood the true hazards associated with hexavalent chromium and the ability to find credible info on the material.  They have tried SO hard to make this issue go away...well guess what..it hasn't.  And the chromates are still in the general areas inside the RB! I won't even go into the fiasco with moving the old reactor head outside....mrad/chromates/monsoon.  Get the picture? [smiley=poke2.gif] [smiley=poke2.gif] [smiley=poke2.gif]

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2003, 05:36 »
ExposedOne and MauiJoe,  Haven't been to Oconee in years.  Nice to know they haven't changed.  G-K to both of you. Back in the early 80s I covered a job in what used to be called the Interim Rad Waste Building.  Entered the area with bottled air from tanks that had been filled about 1.5 years previously and then stored o/s of Unit 3 personnel hatch.  During operations this location easily went to an ambient temperature of 90-95 degrees F. Air under pressure stored at an elevated temperature breaks down.  As the mechanic and myself were passing out the last thing I remember hearing was the engineer yelling to get in there and get the job done.  At least this time they had follow up, although it may have been questionable.  We didn't get even minimal medical attention and a safety review never made it on the radar screen.  That was my cue to bail out and thank God haven't done any Duke plants since.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

maxupdate

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2003, 07:08 »
Every plant has their ups and downs.  All I can say is "Oconee has been berry, berry good to me."  Haven't worked there in almost 6 years though.  Lots of good people there.

duke99301

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2003, 04:23 »
good god people we had a very good outage on time and under budget.  even though there were some mistakes made by all no one got hurt,  yes decon got used a little more this outage and it meet  some hps had to give a little more.
but in the end we all made major improvements.
I feel an outage with no lost times is very good,
oh buy the way here at this site all workers help build scaffold if needed. to me working here was a blessing after  working in the plants up north at least when work was needed all the craft  jumped in and helped,
and  to have  run into Art Flowers agin was very nice!
to see some old faces here. good luck all '!SEE you in
fall here for the SGRP and head replacement. ;D

Offline Rad_Toy

• RP TECH
  • Light User
  • Lovin life on the road !!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2003, 08:39 »
At oconee now, about finished with the SGR.  Steel going back in.  RT still going on with the hot & cold legs.  Lay offs have been going on for the past couple of weeks for the crafts.  HP's get our big cut the 21st.   ;D

Offline Rad_Toy

• RP TECH
  • Light User
  • Lovin life on the road !!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2003, 07:24 »
I,m still here....... so much for the 21st of nov. will be leaving the end of this week.. Never heard anything about chromates this outage other than what i read on the bathroon walls inside the RCZ....

duke99301

« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2003, 09:08 »
best thing I seen was it in my rear view 12.5 for 12 sometimes endedup 13.5 for 12 and SGT sucked .. never agin .
off to better places. did have good HP's that worked there .

IBENNUKED

« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2004, 08:39 »
All my memories of Oconee are good, only worked there once in early 90's, the timing never worked out to go back, but I would.

rawtech

« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2004, 04:33 »
I've only been there once in the 90's, but the one time showed me that Oconee (being a Duke Power plant) is one of the few in this industry that is willing to "spend a dime to save a buck" if you can understand what I mean. I think most people in the buisness would agree that this is a very good & rare attitude. ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2004, 04:39 by rawtech »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2004, 03:17 »
Great plant to work. Main complaint was Clemson football. I love college football, but all the motels will boot you out for home game weekends.  :'(
Phil Kelley is a stand-up guy.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Nuclear Hooker

« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2004, 11:39 »
Just wondering who is going there this spring for the SGRP. I will be going there this spring and want to see if anyone I know will be there.  Also, I've never been there.....any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2004, 11:44 »
.....any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

take yer fishin gear.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Walt Harris

• Retired - Health Physics / Industrial Hygiene
  • Moderate User
  • I intend to live forever! So far so good!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2004, 09:43 »
Like SloGlo said,

Bring the fishing gear. Lake Hartwell, Keowee, Jocassee and a multitude of mountain streams, rivers, creeks nearby. The scenery is enough to make a bad day fishing a pleasure.
Gold prospecting is even an option in the streams around Lake Cherokee near Salem. (I'm makin' myself plum homesick thinking about it all)

Enjoy

Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!

Nuclear Hooker

« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2004, 12:03 »
Thanks for the info!!  I love to fish, and already started getting my stuff ready.
I have a few questions for people who worked there the last outage.
1. Is that true you gotta work 12.5 for 12???
2. How were the layoffs handled....I was at Kewaunee for their SGRP and 3-4 weeks into it they layed some people off.
3. Who's gonna be there???
4. Does anyone know if Vinnie Samuels will be there?  I worked with him at VY, but haven't talked/ seen him since 99.
Thanks for your input!
-Brian

ageoldtech

« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2004, 01:58 »
Oconee is a great place to work, as long as your on the house side and not SGT. Some of their management, one female in particular is a egotistical pain in the rear. If they could get rid of her things would improve tremendously. I'd suggest night shift if your going to be on the SGT side of things.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2004, 07:22 »
ageoldtech I feel your pain.I think we had the same problem from the same ego chick supervisor at calvert.Somebody should wake up.
Sorry I'll be missing you at this one.I still doing that D & D thing.

ageoldtech

« Reply #23 on: Mar 10, 2004, 12:34 »
Radbastard, hope things are great in the D&D world. Speaking of pain I'm still trying to get the  machete out of my back!!!

Offline cruella

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2004, 09:54 »
I was a little worried about "lonley lady " being confused with me another female turbine tech.............. If she doesn"t say " BITE ME" then she is not Barb :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?