Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Hiroshima survivor honeypot

Author Topic: Hiroshima survivor  (Read 17944 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Hiroshima survivor
« on: Dec 15, 2007, 06:39 »
I have not done this for a while so here is a little exercise for your search engines.

The Hiroshima blast caused complete devastation for a radius of one mile. How close to ground zero did someone survive?
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2007, 06:54 by Marlin »

wlrun3@aol.com

Re: Hiroshima survivor
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2007, 07:09 »
I have not done this for a while so here is a little exercise for your search engines.

The Hiroshima blast caused complete devastation for a radius of one mile. How close to ground zero did someone survive?

..."By 1960, the US arsenal had increased to 18,638 bombs and warheads yielding 20,500 megatons...1.4 million Hiroshimas..."

Arsenals of Folly, Richard Rhodes 2007

Cathy

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2007, 12:21 »
TABLE C: Percent Mortality at Various Distances Distance from X,
in feet - Percent Mortality 
0 - 1000  93.0% 
1000 - 2000  92.0 
2000 - 3000  86.0 
3000 - 4000  69.0 
4000 - 5000  49.0 
5000 - 6000  31.5 
6000 - 7000  12.5 
7000 - 8000  1.3 
8000 - 9000  0.5 
9000 - 10,000  0.0 

From http://www.atomicarchive.com/Docs/MED/med_chp10.shtml
Kinda' general but the best I could find late at night!

Offline TENN-1

• Moderate User
  • Finished the 5 year plan in only 34!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:27 »
Of the survivors, Akiko Takakura was among the closest to ground zero at only three hundred meters. She was twenty years old at the time, and she had just started her morning routine at her job in the in the Bank of Hiroshima.

"Well, it was like a white magnesium flash. I lost consciousness right after or almost at the same time I saw the flash. When I regained consciousness, I found myself in the dark. I heard my friends, Ms. Asami, crying for her mother. Soon after, I found out that we actually had been attacked.

Eyewitnesses to Hiroshima and Nagasaki
Written by Alan Bellows on May 3rd, 2006
http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=522
Things come to those who wait, but usually it's stuff left over from those who hustle!

Gwyd

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2007, 02:14 »
That's pretty good stuff!  I work with a guy who was in the nuke Navy but never got wet...he was at that facility in SE Idaho that used to be an Army experimental power plant.  That's the one where the three guys got fried back in the early '60s.  The reactor vessel jumped 9 feet up and speared one of them to the ceiling with the stuck control rod.  The History Channel did a great cover of it on their "Engineering Disasters" series.

Melrose

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:38 »
Among others... Akiko Takakura was among the closest survivors to the hypocenter of the blast. She had been in the strongly built Bank of Hiroshima only 300m from ground-zero at the time of the attack.

http://www.inicom.com/hibakusha/akiko.html

« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2007, 08:39 by Melrose »

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:23 »
Nice, but that doesn't answer the question.  I think any further thoughts of yours should be directed to the PolySci forum...

...please help support this site by becoming a gold member...

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:38 »
Excellent response and discussion, karma around (most of you  ;) that is).

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:41 »
That's pretty good stuff!  I work with a guy who was in the nuke Navy but never got wet...he was at that facility in SE Idaho that used to be an Army experimental power plant.  That's the one where the three guys got fried back in the early '60s.  The reactor vessel jumped 9 feet up and speared one of them to the ceiling with the stuck control rod.  The History Channel did a great cover of it on their "Engineering Disasters" series.

He has got to be pretty old, it was just a mound of dirt with a road out to it when I got to Idaho in 71.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?