Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Norfolk honeypot

Author Topic: Norfolk  (Read 19542 times)

Cycoticpenguin

Norfolk
« on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:38 »
Ok  this is nuts. I got into Virginia last night, and I have NO clue what to do. My sponsor sucks/ forgot about me.

I would like to get my car registered to go on base, not sure how/where to do it.

Also, whats the deal with the seemingly hundreds of entrances on this base? Im a military brat, and I dont remember even fort brag being this bad lol. Can I get to any side of the base from any entrance? And where is the nex?!?! :D

This place is a bit intimidating lol, im sure it'll get better though. Searches yeilded nothing! thank you in advance for the answers

Kev3399

Re: Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2007, 01:50 »
If you have DOD stickers and your ID, then you can get on base. The Pass and ID office should still be outside the base on Hampton Blvd. Following Hampton Blvd will take you right into the main gate. Also, off of that road will be the NEX.(Admiral Taussig Blvd which connects to I-564) Its almost the size of a Target, shouldn't be able to miss it on the right before the main gate.

I wouldn't worry about registering your car with NOB(Norfolk Operating Base) quite yet. If the rules are the same, you'll have to get a Va car inspection before you get NOB base stickers.(And it doesn't matter if you have another states plates, registration, license or insurace) This might have changed though.

The base has many entrances. Its the world's largest Navy base.  :) For now, I would stick with the main gate off of Hampton Blvd. (Thats if you're a carrier guy/gal....you can't miss the carriers at the far end of the base.....if you can't find them, leave the base and get your eyesight checked)

The sub base is kind of separate from NOB. I don't know a whole lot about that side. You will find out in the future that the airbase side has two gates and can be useful for working your way around during peak traffic times and making your life less painful if you have to go thru the HRB Tunnel. Hehehe......Norfolk traffic is something I will never ever miss.

In summary bring up Yahoo Maps and look at the base and find Hampton Blvd, follow that until you hit the Chesapeake Bay. :) Have fun!

landlubber

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2007, 01:47 »
Ok  this is nuts. I got into Virginia last night, and I have NO clue what to do. My sponsor sucks/ forgot about me.

I would like to get my car registered to go on base, not sure how/where to do it.

Also, whats the deal with the seemingly hundreds of entrances on this base? Im a military brat, and I dont remember even fort brag being this bad lol. Can I get to any side of the base from any entrance? And where is the nex?!?! :D

This place is a bit intimidating lol, im sure it'll get better though. Searches yeilded nothing! thank you in advance for the answers

That SPU option isn't looking so bad now, huh?  ;)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2007, 04:09 »
That SPU option isn't looking so bad now, huh?  ;)

haha gotta do this SOMETIME!

Kev - thank you for the help, I havent even BEEN on hampton blvd yet. One thing I'm concerned about is the VA state inspection. What kind of inspection is it? My car isnt exactly emissions legal... :D Well that aside, I should be able to figure it out with a looksie on hampton :D

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2007, 04:24 »
haha gotta do this SOMETIME!

Kev - thank you for the help, I havent even BEEN on hampton blvd yet. One thing I'm concerned about is the VA state inspection. What kind of inspection is it? My car isnt exactly emissions legal... :D Well that aside, I should be able to figure it out with a looksie on hampton :D

It a "saftey" inspection. but the reality is its a way for lousy mechanics to make money. If your car is not under warente then they WILL find something wrong with it so they can offer to fix it for a nominal fee. Your best luck will be at a gas station that can do it since the stations have less ability to do work. The worst option is a dealer (especialy RK)

What kind of car and what mods have you done?

Kev3399

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2007, 07:52 »
Be careful with the inspection......some mechanics or shops will try to empty your wallet. Try to find a gas station or small repair shop that will be honest with you. I went one year at the last minute. The guy saw that I was in a bind and only had 1 day left on my stickers.(Most of them know that if you're inspection is late, the Navy gate guards will scrape your DOD stickers......Just another example of somebody trying to take advantage of you because they see military stickers/ID Card)

This mechanic told me I needed my front brakes done, front tires replaced, new wiper blades and some crap with my exhaust system. He said he would cut me a deal for about 850 bucks. I told him to eat $h%t. I drove around a little bit and found a hole in the wall repair shop. The guy filled out my sticker in 20 seconds and said, "This is the easiest 10 bucks I make.....".

Welcome to Va, the armpit of the east coast.  :)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:13 »
What kind of car and what mods have you done?

2004 mazdaspeed miata. My car's warranty is toast. Over the past 2 years, ive dumped literally 10-15 grand into it lol. Cars a passion of mine, so thats why I get heated when I see people flame cars as a major reason for nuke waste. Everything from suspension, turbo, and engine setup has been changed. Im covered under warranty (haha) still, so they cant do much about that. As for the other stuff, my dad was a mechanic, his dad was a mechanic, his brother was a .... you get the idea :D 

If they say "you need this, that, and this other thing" do they give you a signature anyway? Or do they not do anything until you pay for this "needed" stuff??

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2007, 02:23 »
2004 mazdaspeed miata. My car's warranty is toast. Over the past 2 years, ive dumped literally 10-15 grand into it lol. Cars a passion of mine, so thats why I get heated when I see people flame cars as a major reason for nuke waste. Everything from suspension, turbo, and engine setup has been changed. Im covered under warranty (haha) still, so they cant do much about that. As for the other stuff, my dad was a mechanic, his dad was a mechanic, his brother was a .... you get the idea :D 

If they say "you need this, that, and this other thing" do they give you a signature anyway? Or do they not do anything until you pay for this "needed" stuff??

OK since you know what your doing. The inspection is visual only. if the Emisson Controll systems are "visualy" intact they will not know the differance. There is no "sniffer" test as long as the car appears to be incompliance with state code they wont screw with you (some might try) Make shure there are no loose wires or apperance of ameture wiring under the hood. I hope you kept the cats (or at least it looks like so). Most of the places have little to no idea what was standard equipment on cars I had a guy in my division have a mechanic tell him his car was illegal since the cats had been removed..... this was a 1960's ford. I never succesfuly got my vette inspected they always found something new to complain about thankfuly it was a second car. If it still looks stock under the hood then a non-dealer mech might think its still under wanentee and not find anything to "fix" If they say you need to replace something minor like a marker light pay them to fix it and get the cert. This inspection is kinda like a navy inspection they don't stop looking until they find something they can charge for.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2007, 07:32 »
If you do not have Virginia Plates...you are golden.  If you get a pink rejection, just scrape it off and go to the next place.  The pink reject does not require you to return to the same person, but if you do, they will only look at what "failed" initially.  I once took my car to Tread Quarters.  They did an alignment and charged me $80.00.  I guess they saw the sticker, but I am retired.  Anyway, when I asked them to show me where in the book it requires the alignment to be verified, he said that he forgot that it was a special that day and charged me nothing. 

Ask to see the criteria, if you fail.  I had a work beater that required a rope to pull the release from inside the car (broken handle).  The guy tried to fail it for the hood not being properly secured.  I asked to see the book, and as a good nuke, I convinced him that that the intent was for the hood latch proper, so that someone didn't tie down the hood in the front and accidentally have it pop open on him while driving.  Also, was working for Anheuser-Busch at the time and offered him a case of Bud--so that greased the tracks a little, too.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

badger

« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2008, 08:24 »
Id suggest downloading Google Earth and familiarizing yourself with a basic layout of the base.

It -is- a military base so they randomly shut down your favorite gate right when you want to use it. I'd try to memorize how to get out and around with different gates.

ALSO!

From 564, head down until you get to the last intersection before gates 1 and 2. Take a left down Hampton Blvd. On your right (before you get to gate 5) is a visitor's center. They'll be able to help you out a lot. I think they even have free maps if youre active duty.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2008, 05:24 »
one thing I dont understand, do the main gates stay open all the time? I heard gates 3 and 4 where the easiest to get to work.

JsonD13

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2008, 10:04 »
When we were down in NOB I used gate 3 just about every day.  It's more time on base to get to the ship, but less time spent waiting in line for the gate.  Basically works out slightly faster. 

Mnemorath

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:59 »
I used to live in Wards Corner, Little Creek and Granby. It was easiest for me to get to work via gate 23 on the air side. Its a little hidden hole in the wall gate on Granby. Gates 2 and 4 are open 24/7 I think. Keep in mind my information is a couple of years out of date since I transfered to San Diego in 05. Pass and ID is accross Hampton Blvd from gate 5. When I was there my car was taged out of state so I did not need a VA inspection to get it stickered. May have changed to rules since. I am sure you have found the NEX by now as it is pretty hard to miss.

If you really want to familiarize yourself with the base. Get lost on it. Just go in a gate and see where you can go and where you can't.

Gate 4 is easy to find, just drive east along the water past the marina from the carrier piers. 23 is a little hidden as its on the other side of the runway thru a wooded park like area.

3 and 3a are VERY busy in the mornings as they come right off the 564. 2 and 1 are busy, but better since they are ALOT bigger.

You will eventually learn the traffic paterns and where to go when it gets bad.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2008, 12:34 »
Heh, a week after I showed up, the ship went to shipyard. I figured out where to go though :) thanks for the help. (Gate 4 all the way! :D)

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2008, 12:51 »
Wich shipyard. Just in case no-one told you NEVER go to either the 711 or the Tiny Giant convenance stores near the Portsmith shipyard. Your life may very well depend on it.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2008, 02:46 »
Heck, I never got out of my car after leaving any of the gates (shipyard or base).  There is a reason that Dungaree Law was instituted on occasion in and around Norfolk/Shipyards.

I love Dungaree Justice (a special thanks to the Skippers that have allowed DJ).

Can you  explain this "dungaree justice"??

93-383 - Im in the Norfolk shipyard... which is located IN portsmouth lol. Portsmouth is located in Hampton... its so confusing lol. that aside, the only reason I leave the ship is to go to my car to go home :D Thank you for the heads up!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2008, 10:32 »
Sure. 

You wear Dungarees on and off base.  When you get out of your car the folks know that the CO has given you permission to 'Whip the Stuffing' out of anyone that bothers you.  Its a sign of aggression.  You've been given the authority to wear your dungarees into public places that otherwise you would have to wear your dress uniforms (and likely stand out and would be less inclined to fight in dress uniform).  Everyone is under the directive to get dirty/nasty if the occasion arises.  What better uniform than a set of Dungarees.

Its a good feeling to have permission to (boldly) brag that you are ready to rumble if you need too.  The gloves have come off is another good way of describing it.

I NEVER got messed with when I was in dungarees off base.  Its kind of a well known custom (through tribal knowledge) of the locals what is going on.

i assume this is a sub thing then???

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2008, 07:13 »
i assume this is a sub thing then???

When I was on IKE during the RCOH, we were authorized to wear coveralls to and from work since there was no berthing areas on the ship to change clothes in.  My guys used to tell me stories about sitting in traffic on I-64 when some chief or officer from the one of the ship's in Norfolk would start yelling from another car.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2008, 08:17 »
im really not understanding this Dungaree Justice thing... I would scrap in my dress blues if i had to :D

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2008, 12:00 »
im really not understanding this Dungaree Justice thing... I would scrap in my dress blues if i had to :D

Thats because you never have, nor ever will wear dungarees  ;D

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2008, 09:50 »
Thats because you never have, nor ever will wear dungarees  ;D

Justin

what? utilities dont cut it??

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2008, 12:13 »
what? utilities dont cut it??

Shipmate, please.... not even close.

Justin

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2008, 03:37 »
I'm going to need a lung/gut transplant after this ....... :P

LOL glad to make you laugh. :)

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?