Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Texas goes Nuclear

Author Topic: Texas goes Nuclear  (Read 15303 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Texas goes Nuclear
« on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:23 »
Over the next decade, Texas may become the biggest U.S. builder of nuclear generating plants. NRG Energy Inc., Energy Future Holdings Corp., Exelon Corp. and a new utility in Amarillo have proposed eight reactors, a quarter of the planned U.S. total, according to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a980jwliyVpA&refer=us

Run down:

STPNOC      South Texas Project Units 3 & 4   ABWR (2)    Submitted 09/20/07
Texas Utilities   Comanche Peak, TX      APWR (2)      Expected FY 2008
Exelon      Matagorda & Victoria County, TX   ESBWR (1)    Expected FY 2009
Amarillo Power   Vicinity of Amarillo, TX      EPR      Expected FY 2009
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2007, 01:25 by Rennhack »

nukerecruiter

Re: Texas goes Nuclear
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2007, 03:19 »
Great article! Nice to see some of those folks finally coming around. Come on, Al, embrace Nuclear- you know you wanna!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2007, 03:37 »
Here are more details on the Exelon Plant:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/oilRpt/idUKN1849237320071218

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2007, 09:56 »
This is the greatest news I have heard in a long time!  Maybe I can return home and end my exile in the north :)

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2007, 05:02 »
I graduated from Texas A&M with a BS in Nuclear Engineering back in 2004.  I am so happy that these reactors are being planned in Texas.  I have no doubts that Texas can lead the US if not the world in nuclear technology. 

I wrote a letter to Rick Perry, the Governor of Texas, last year about the enourmous potential of Texas and nukes.  I have not received a response.  I think the return address having Ohio on it had a lot to do with that.  In it I told him about the huge Uranium reserves near Goliad, the Gulf of Mexico being a good place for the plants for heat rejection and water desalination (fresh water is an important resource in Texas), and the high quality of engineering schools available to train the workforce needed to run these reactors.  Texas A&M and The University of Texas both have research reactors for their engineering programs. 

Another good thing is the geologic stability of Texas and it's central location.  With work, I think Texas could build a better tie in to the other grids and export massive amounts of electricity to the east and west.

I have heard some crazy ideas such as a pure DC pipe on a superconductor to move this energy.  The DC ,from what I am told, makes sense on superconductors because it uses the whole cross section of the conductor rather than just the skin of the conductor.  I do not have a big background in electrical theory so can anyone who does, please post additional details about this and any corrections to any mistakes :) .

I miss Texas so much during the winters in Ohio  :'(

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2007, 06:01 »
I have no doubts that Texas can lead the US if not the world in nuclear technology. 

Why does that comment not suprise me?

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2007, 08:12 »
Why does that comment not suprise me?

Just a bit of Texas pride :)  I am still young and an optimist.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2007, 01:20 »
I have no doubts that Texas can lead the US if not the world in nuclear technology. 

It is standard issue Texas thinking.  When I was there, the news people said, (and I quote) "Texas has resumed talks with Russia".

Texan's are VERY proud of Texas.  I do not have an issue with that, you just don't see it everywhere else, and so it looks unique.  Honestly, you have to wonder why other states are not as proud of themselves.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2007, 05:15 »
I can't explain the pride.  I also know that Texans can be humble and work hard when needed to.  Pride can be a healthy thing as long as you stay grounded and never feel too proud to work hard or dirty jobs.  I think many other states just don't have the same pride because they have resigned themselves to the life they now have.  They would rather have the status quo than try and make something better out of what they have now.  Ohio is a prime example of this.

Like a good Texan, I am not too proud to not take a blue collar job.  I have learned more about nuke power as a NLO than I ever did in school.  Some skills are just not practical to learn in the class room and must be learned through work.  I was rewarded more with new skills and knowledge than I would have been if I took a cubicle job somewhere else.  I may have a shot this March to start a license class because I just finished my NLO training.  If Texas ever does pull their head out of their butt and see what they could achieve, I will go back eager to work.

ddklbl

« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:51 »
Nutty, are you saying Texans leads the world in humility too?   ;)

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2007, 11:42 »
Nutty, are you saying Texans leads the world in humility too?   ;)

No.

ddklbl

« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2007, 02:44 »
No.

At least your honest  ;)

It's not that people from other states aren't proud of their home, we just like poking fun at Texas more. 

Back on topic, I am anxious to see how all this is going to end up.

Cathy

« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2007, 05:44 »
THAT wouldn't be "Texan",... ;)

Texans ARE humble,...in the presence of God,...everybody else can get in line,..... 8)

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God  ;D

Something that the discussion has not touched on yet is opposition to nuclear plants across the country. It is not an issue here. There are many counties that would compete to get their own nuke. Best I can tell a few freaks from Greenpeace and a couple of liberals from Austin would pretty much be the protesters here. Texas has also been isloated from the national grid for years, I guess they are going to have to upgrade or connect some transmission lines to export the electrons.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2008, 12:43 »
Texan's are VERY proud of Texas.  I do not have an issue with that, you just don't see it everywhere else, and so it looks unique.  Honestly, you have to wonder why other states are not as proud of themselves.

Many people from other states are very proud of where they come from... we just don't go around boring other people by claiming to be the best at everything.

One Congressman from Texas was going on and on about how big and great Texas was and his colleague from Alaska sat quietly until he had enough and finally spoke up to say 'The Alaska legislature is considering a vote to divide the state in half. Then Texas will be the THIRD largest state.'

The Texan sat down and shut up.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:49 »
Here is some info on the TXU site:

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. applied for a so-called standard design certification for its US-APWR nuclear plant. That’s the type of plant that Energy Future, formerly called TXU Corp., is considering using to expand its Comanche Peak facility in Glen Rose.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/010807dnbustxnuclearplants.1c0d98a7.html

illegalsmile

« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2008, 11:19 »
The Texan sat down and shut up.
when did that ever happen? ;)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2008, 12:49 »
when did that ever happen? ;)

I have to admit, I did not witness the event myself.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?