Career Path > Different Country

Info on RP/HP work in Canada

<< < (3/6) > >>

stormgoalie:
BC,

Excellent and accurate information!!  I oversimplifyed things a wee bit as I can only work from my experiences with working  in Canada.  I will say that the pay has really come up due to exchange rates though.  OT rules for contractors differ from "house" temps for sure.  Most outages are now running 50 days, give or take a bit, with contractors only being onsite for 30 days at best.  If you can hire in as an OPG temp. you can go a little longer.  One thing to consider is the cost of living while here.  Everything, gas included, costs ~20% or more here plus the 13% taxes you pay on purchases etc.  In the long run it is a great place to work, just not for everyone.

Cheers,
Jim

Alfie:
Hi all, this is my first post on here, so go easy !
My wife and I emigrated to Canada as Permanent Residents in February 2010.
I've got 23 years experience working in the UK nuclear industry as a Health Physics Monitor(Rad Tech/Surveyor).
I resigned from my job in the UK as we were emigrating.
But I'm struggling to get a start in Canada.
I did do an interview with a Canadian company in March for a Rad Surveyor post.
I did the interview, passed a maths test and all my background/security checks were ok.
But this company has put a block on all external recruitment - with no expectation that they are going to recruit externally anytime soon. They didn't get back to me with any feedback, I had to keep calling/emailing to find out what the hold-up was. I feel like we've been let down, as I've been waiting around for many months for them to get me started.
So I've been applying for any relevant RP/Health & Safety jobs that have been advertised by other companies.
But with no contacts at these companies nobody seems interested.
We've waited patiently for 4 years to get to Canada as PRs and are really frustrated by this situation.
I just want to get started, work hard and get some cash coming in.
I've plenty of experience in RP, conventional Health & Safety and project work that I could put to good use in Canada.
Any advice or help/contacts that anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time. :(

stormgoalie:
Your best bet is to keep checking the websites for the utilities in your area, in Ontario I would check www.opg.com or www.brucepower.com, and see what they have for openings.  Otherwise it can be difficult to get in....

Alfie:
Thanks stormgoalie.
I'm already checking the websites of: OPG, BrucePower, AECL, SNC Lavalin, NB Power, NWMO, CNSC, Radsafe Canada, etc, everyday and applying for everything that is relevant to RP or Health & Safety.
So far I'm getting no response.
So I've just started applying to any employer(non-nuke as well) for any work in health & safety, projects.
We're in Ontario at the moment but probably gonna have to relocate elsewhere in Canada just to be able to get a start and generate some income.
Jobs in nuclear in Canada seem very hard to attain.
I'm thinking we maybe should've looked at emigrating to the good ol' USA !

stormgoalie:
Good luck! Took me a year to get in where I am when I came up here from the USA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version