Career Path > Navy Nuke

Navy Christmas

(1/2) > >>

Wirebiter:
As we quickly approach the holiday, I hope that everyone is able to spend it with the ones they love.  It you can't this year, then I pray that next year will find you in a more favorable location. 

This year I am spending it with just the wife.  She is a little down because we are not with the rest of the families.  However, she is surprised at how chipper and positive I am that this Christmas will be great.  I think many of you will agree that a simple Christmas at home is better than................

Being in Great Lakes for boot camp (my first Navy Christmas)

OR

transiting the Suez canal in 2000 with the evaporator secured for 38hours,  port-n-starboard, a yellow-poly "christmas tree" in MSW bay that would lose any contest to the Charlie Brown Christmas tree, and two Navy S.E.A.L.S who won't leave the mess-decks so you can burn a flick, not even to sleep (they had guns and we didn't have enough coners to catch all their bullets).

So I told the wife thats what I compare any would be crappy Christmas to.  She understands now why I am so upbeat.

Anyone else have a prior Navy Christmas that they reflect upon, thinking "...at least I'm not..........."?

Merry Christmas all!

Navnu:
Lets see...last Christmas I got leave from NPS to go home..within 24 hours of being home, my sister had an emergency c-section, and I found out that a friend of mine that I went to high school with, that had just graduated Marine boot camp, was found dead. Plus over the course of the next week I had a family member pass away, plus a good friends father pass, so the entirety of the leave was spent either at the hospital or the funeral home.

shovelheadred:
..Lets see..USS Nimitz...did 2 Med cruises back to back in 81 and 82.both were at Christmas...spent one with the infamous "MAX PARITY"..we were off the coast of Beirut for one of them, and the other Napoli,,,drunk, at Momma Rosa's..or was it Momma Louisa's?, best I can remember....glad I am in "the Pines of Carolina", now..hey Max, when you comin down here with those younguns and ride these dirt roads with me?.....red

mooredee13:
My first Christmas away from home was in prototype (MARF). My roomies and I had a real tree that we all forgot to water, so the needles were all over the place. We topped it with one of my hockey helmets.

The next Christmas found me on my 2nd patrol on the Nat Greene. Nothing spectacular, but the wives had gotten together and made stockings for each crew member that were hung on the mess decks. That must have meant more to me than I ever realized: I still have mine. My son is currently in Iraq and I almost sent that stocking to him, but didn't know who that would hit hardest: him or me. And if anyone ever needs to stay focused it's a Marine Infantryman sitting in the turret of a Humvee!

Remember those overseas these next few days...and every day.

Happy Holidays to all. I'll celebrate my Christmas in April 2008.

Dave

mlslstephens:

--- Quote from: mooredee13 on Dec 24, 2007, 09:08 ---The next Christmas found me on my 2nd patrol on the Nat Greene. Nothing spectacular, but the wives had gotten together and made stockings for each crew member that were hung on the mess decks. That must have meant more to me than I ever realized: I still have mine.
--- End quote ---

Dave,
I know what you mean.  Put 150 guys in a tube, submerge them for months at the holidays and surprise them with tiny tokens of love and poof, you make memories that last a lifetime. 
My wife and I were just sitting at the breakfast table with our three daughters and we all were reminiscing past Christmas seasons.  As I looked across the table, I could see four beautiful ladies and I quickly realized, that being active duty Navy, I am a blessed man.  As I come to the end of my naval career, I have only spent a few Christmas seasons away from "home".  So this morning, I do count my blessings as I know that there are many sailors, soldiers, airmen, coasties, and marines that will not spend this Christmas with loved ones.  They are remembered, and prayed for as I wish them all God's speed and a very Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas to all...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version