Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu News Section improvements. honeypot

Author Topic: News Section improvements.  (Read 11436 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
News Section improvements.
« on: Jan 02, 2008, 04:59 »
I'm working on a small improvement to the news section, get a sneak peak here:

http://www.nukeworker.com/news/test.php

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
Re: News Section improvements.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:23 »
Like the content - but the formatting is kind of hard to sift through quickly.  Headlines, bylines, and lead-in sentences are all kind of intermeshed inside the balloons/frames.  Is there a way to distill the balloons/frames down to just headlines?  Or maybe use different fonts for headlines, bylines, and lead-in sentences?

And for the record - I completely suck at website authoring, so I am WAY not throwing stones...  I wish that I could actually be more helpful.  But the content does look good - and the "Facility News" link in the "Related Pages" balloon complements the page contents well.

- Greg
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:03 »
Well... the Google feed (which is what that is) mashes everything together, so we can't differentiate one part from another.  I know what you are saying, and I agree that it's annoying.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2008, 09:05 »
e z two navigate, reads well. :)
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

ddklbl

« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:52 »
I usually sift through the ANS news pages.  Which is just the same google feed, right?  Most of the hits I see over there are international, sort of fringe stories.  I don't really care about uranium mining in Kazakhstan or stolen soil density gages.  I think what you have is more user friendly with the pre-set filter buttons up top.  Lazy man friendly :)

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2008, 12:05 »
  ......Lazy man friendly :)

Something I can identify with. ;)

I like the looks and feel of it Mike.  Another great improvement.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2008, 01:29 »
Like the content - but the formatting is kind of hard to sift through quickly.  Headlines, bylines, and lead-in sentences are all kind of intermeshed inside the balloons/frames.  Is there a way to distill the balloons/frames down to just headlines?  Or maybe use different fonts for headlines, bylines, and lead-in sentences?

And for the record - I completely suck at website authoring, so I am WAY not throwing stones...  I wish that I could actually be more helpful.  But the content does look good - and the "Facility News" link in the "Related Pages" balloon complements the page contents well.

- Greg

G-reg,

I made a few changes, what is there now is probably the best I can do.

I also made a few tweaks to the algorithm for the news feed on the home page.  It should have more good stuff ,and less bad stuff.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2008, 01:44 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:28 »
lack of user interface with the new system.

I don't understand, please explain.

The current news page just has all the feeds on one (long) page.  The new page has buttons on the top that let you pick which feeds you want to see.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2008, 11:23 by Rennhack »

Offline G-reg

• Heavy User
  • C'mere and chum some of this...
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2008, 01:30 »
G-reg,
I made a few changes, what is there now is probably the best I can do.
I also made a few tweaks to the algorithm for the news feed on the home page.  It should have more good stuff ,and less bad stuff.

"What is there now" looks good to me!  (I certainly couldn't have done it.)  Kudos to you -and karma, too, in about 9 hours when that 24hr Karma Clock resets.

And I'm sorry about the lag time getting back to you on this.

- Greg
"But that's just my opinion - I could be wrong."
  -  Dennis Miller

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?