Career Path > EEI Tests

BMST (Basic Math and Science) Test

<< < (10/11) > >>

Fermi2:
Whether you fail it or not this is a fantastic post. If you get time would you post how you prepared? I know there are tips all over this site, many of them by me. It might be beneficial to others especially if you pass. (Pulling for you!)

SleepyNuke:
Thanks Broadzilla.

The results came in, I did not pass the BMST but did pass the POSS.

To prepare for the tests I had two weeks from when I was notified for my testing. I searched this forum like crazy (many of which broadzilla contributed too) I had purchased the POSS study guide off of amazon ($45) worth the money and the practice. I printed off all the POSS practice tests from EEI's site and signed up for a prep course through Bismarck State College ($120). The prep course was similar to the study guide in that it helped you work through problems. I made flash cards for the various physics problems which I though I would face on the tests.

My biggest downfall was not studying the basics (I know that's rule number one) when it came to the geometry stuff I was under the impression that the BMST would have the formulas for you like the POSS does. It doesn't. So some of the basic formulas such as area for a cylinder or parallelogram I was either unsure of or didn't know. I focused a lot of my time on practicing long division and I shouldn't have, for the most part I got myself to where I needed the long division then just plugged in one of the answers to see if I was close enough then adjusted from there. Khan academy on youtube was definitely one of my best study guides (and it was free!) as I said before. Focus on the questions in the study guide then expand on them. For physics I would go as far as the basics of Kinematics, for algebra do some crazy order of operation stuff, slope, quadratic equations, and Pythagorean theorm review.

If anyone needs any further clarification send me a PM or reply on here, hopefully I can help you out while it's still fresh in my mind.

Nukette:
I am sorry to hear that, but now you know exactly what to expect.  Your above post will definitely help you when you are trying to remember for your next time.  Make sure you add "Passed POSS" to your resume when you apply to future positions.  Keep applying and good luck!  ;D

SleepyNuke:
Hey everyone, I posted on here before back in October about my unfortunate failure (or in Exelon's words not recommended) of the BMST. Fortunately I was able to retake the test recently at a different plant, I did not have any intention to transfer plants again (the drive is ridiculous) I just wanted to pass the test so that I can skip that process when the next opening at my plant comes up. This time I had some family issues looming over my head (very pregnant wife) so studying was very difficult. I will admit I probably only studied 2 days at best for a few hours each day. After my last attempt I made sure to write a review on here which I knew would pay off, it was very helpful looking at that and everyone else's reviews. I took the test on a Thursday and because I had already passed the POSS they only had to send in my BMST scores so they were able to notify me by the following Monday. Just so everyone knows that you are not notified of your actual score for the BMST. The test from my understanding is scored from each section then there is probably some formula they use to combine the scores and give you a pass or a fail. So with that being said you will not find a HR person that will tell you a pass percentage or give you a score when you get your results. I will give a quick review of anything I saw different from the first time.

As far as the test goes almost all the questions were either the same or very similar. I had one chemistry question that threw me off again it was asking what the last compound in silver nitrate and they gave you silver and nitrogen so I guessed on that. They had a question on heat forms (convection, conduction, radiant) which luckily I had a whole section of that in school so I knew that pretty well. They also had questions like what is the area of the flat washer, they gave you the inside and outside diameter of the washer. Then there was the typical trig questions such as the sun is hitting the flag pole at x degrees and the flagpole is x in height how long is the shadow. I still have no idea how to calculate Sin165 but I did my best to guess. Other than that my first review was spot on with things to look at and study. One thing I did this time in preparation of failing was as soon as I got to my car I turned my voice recorder app on and I just started recording specific questions that I got stuck on. Obviously I can't just give out specific test questions on here because that could put a lot of people in jeopardy (including myself) but I would highly recommend it if you're taking the test for the first time. If you were qualified for it once you should be qualified for it twice, the first time fail rate is above 50% so leave the test with confidence but just be prepared that you may have to take it again. Also as far as test prep goes, this is VERY important, make sure you use the bathroom 1 hour prior, 30 minutes prior, and 10 minutes prior. You might think you have a steel bladder however you CANNOT leave that once the 3 hour test has started. I squeezed every drop out before I started and by the time I hit the three hour mark I was able to go again. The only thing I drank was at 9 am and we took the test at 12. I don't know if that is part of the test but it wouldn't surprise me just to see how you do distracted. Lastly I just wanted to note that this time I took my time and completed each question as they came, I did not skip any this time. At the 1.5 hour mark I was at around question 55 (way ahead of schedule) at that point I did speed it up just little to make sure I would have ample time to double check every question. I finished the test with a little over 45 min left. I went back through and checked every question to make sure I wasn't rushing and I actually caught to questions that I had misread or had temporary dyslexia on. I turned the test in with around 15-20 minutes left to go because there was nothing else I felt I could do to for the questions that I was stuck on.

As always if you have any questions PM with them. The closer to the post date that you get a hold of me the better i'll be able to accurately respond.

Thanks,
SleepyNuke

SpaceJustice:
Congrats!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version