Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting Out on PFA

Author Topic: Getting Out on PFA  (Read 7330 times)

dragadune

Getting Out on PFA
« on: Jan 06, 2008, 09:58 »
So the navy is kicking me out on the pfa stuff. I am not obese (OK to the navy i am) but other wise i am in good health and i have done really well at my command. I am a submariner nuke MM welder and i am almost at 5 yrs. I will be getting out before my 5 yr point most likely and want to know what are my possibilities. Where to look at and if anyone has any pointers. I would also like to hear if anyone has done the Vestas (i don't know if thats how you spell it) wind energy travel job? And what they think of it. Thank so much for the help in advance.

JustinHEMI05

Re: Getting Out on PFA
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2008, 01:04 »
There are literally 6 million threads about possibilites for ex navy nukes. But I can sum them up for you based on your experience since you don't want to search...

AO.

Justin

PS You might want to try the JOBS tab up top. Good luck!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2008, 01:07 »
Wait a minute! I just found the thread below with 3.5 seconds of searching! We have been down this path with you before! Was the tons of info in this thread not good enough?

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,7175.0.html

Justin
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2008, 01:08 by JustinHEMI05 »

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2008, 02:21 »
I'm not trying to be a jerk hear but, why do you people post when all you have to say is “DO A SEARCH” people come here for answers not smart A— responses.
For the poster. Most sites look for experience you have some so write a good resume and be prepared for an interview. You will be behind others who exited the Navy under better circumstances, however people are needed in this field and with any job it all comes down to the interview.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2008, 02:32 »
Because :

1. It's a waste of server space for thousands of "I know this question has been asked before, but I'm special and here goes..." postings.

2. Yahoo and Google were both online before Nukeworker. Even if someone just pecked their way out of a warm egg this morning, they can type a couple keywords in, and are likely to either get the exact match desired, or something one or two levels away.

3. Based on items #1 and #2, asking repeat/no-effort questions generally implies a lack of personal initiative. Prospective employers will notice. Think of the admonition to "do a search" as adding a little more bleach to the gene pool.

Back on topic... with a few mouseclicks,

https://jobs.vestas.com/sap(bD1lbiZjPTQwMA==)/bc/bsp/sap/hrrcf_unrg_srch/application.do?BspClient=400&BspLanguage=EN&rcfContext=GLOBAL   

was found. Hope it is of use.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2008, 10:14 »
I'm not trying to be a jerk hear but, why do you people post when all you have to say is “DO A SEARCH” people come here for answers not smart A— responses.

That's an excellent idea.  After all, we are here to help aren't we?  While it's easy to tell someone to search I don't think a helpful link or two posted is going to kill anyone's future initiative now is it?  Karma to you!  What say we step down from our pedestals and somebody steer this back on topic!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Kev3399

« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2008, 02:40 »

3. Based on items #1 and #2, asking repeat/no-effort questions generally implies a lack of personal initiative. Prospective employers will notice. Think of the admonition to "do a search" as adding a little more bleach to the gene pool.

None of the job applications I've ever filled out had me write down my nukeworker login so they could search the forums and determine my abilities, motivation and initiative.

Let people ask questions. I'll take someone who asks questions when they are unsure of something any day of the week. That character trait prevents many headaches in the long run.

ddklbl

« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:31 »
The problem is that the OP did ask specific questions and instead got slammed with criticism.  Justin did a search and found a post from a while ago that the OP had also started with similar digression.  Humerous.  You could equally fail dragadune and us for failing each other twice. 

The fact that he is getting out on PRT problems is what I like to call a "distracter" to the real question.  You all failed this question.  You can't just "C" your way out on this exam.  Better luck next time.  ;)

Yes, the chit-chat and banter to any ex-navy-nuke-to-be's query on this site is repetitive.  What should I do?  What do you recommend?  Those questions are bullsh!t and if anyone is really expecting an honest answer should just ________ (you can finish this sentence).  So we could probably focus on the specific points of dragadune's question.

Dragadune never once mentioned AUO in either of his posts.  There are options out here outside from OPS.  As in the other thread that Justin found, people are quick to pigeon whole posters questions with the standard MO; Apply for an NLO position, I did.  You should too.  I am being facetious, of course.  No one has demanded he do anything but search repetitive search threads. 

I would wager that anyone who has lived in the last decade has probably heard of google and can search the corporate homepage of any random company.  He was asking for specific, personal insight that anyone might have.  I am sorry dragadune, I have never heard of vestas and will not be able to help you.  A search of vestas on this website yielded only this useless thread.

ddklbl

« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2008, 08:46 »
Your OFF TOPIC.  So much for RTFQ/ATFQ and your ECF shipmate.

I miss being shipmate'd.  Probably the one thing that commercial power doesn't have: completely legitimate pseudo-derogatory salutations. ;)  I am a little tongue-in-cheek.  You know that, Jason.  Guys on the boat came to nukes to answer all types of questions completely unrelated to our primary duties.  Why?  Because, collectively, we can say with a reasonable amount of certainty: "Been there, done that".  If an individual nuke didn't, all he had to do was ask his shipmate.  My point is that all the fluff at the beginning of his question was B.S.  I wouldn't expect anyone to give an honest answer to that part because it is incumbent upon him that he come up those answers on his own.  So, maybe if we could do him a favor and ignore that part (that's the tough love we are good at) and focus on the only portion to his post that had any meat to it.  The fact that he came to a NUKEWORKER board and asked a question on Wind reflects credit on all of you.  Someone on here has probably heard of this vestas group and might offer a referal to another source and help dragadune out.  I think they call this networking.

The problem is, and I am trying to be constructive with this criticism, is that there isn't really much information on this board about employment that isn't OPS-centric or RP-centric.  I interviewed for a job when I got out of the Navy that specialized in the shipment of HLW.  I was fascinated with it, it was out of the ordinary for me and try as I may, I couldn't find anything about it.  So, as vague as the question "what are my possibilities?" it is almost a legitimate one.  So, even though we shouldn't answer that specifically, for the numerous reasons already listed, I think we could steer our answers to the better worded and more specific queries they make and help a shipmate out.  Shipmate  ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?