Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Best Path... honeypot

Author Topic: Best Path...  (Read 26929 times)

ddklbl

Re: Best Path...
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2008, 08:00 »
I'd give you Karma, Jason, but I lost the ability when some one took away my neutron moderation powers.

Lead bricks moderate neutrons to a degree.  The human body is mostly water anyways.  But, let me get this straight, you're telling us that you can't even fulfill the role of dead weight now?   ??? ;) ???

Fermi2

« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2008, 08:04 »
I think the original poster should enlist and fill the void of excellence left by me a few years ago.

;)

LOL!!!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2008, 05:15 »
I don't think there is anything wrong with going enlisted.  Both Lolly and Broad have good points, both of course are very opinionated and are grinding the ax for the "side" they have chosen to represent.  I think people reading these posts trying to decide what to do will be able to read between the lines.  It seems quite a few people jumped on Lolly's back.  Some of his post has merit so don't discount it.  Life isn't always wonderful and fair to the "good" nukes.  If you come into work 5 minutes late you are violating the UCMJ, and good people at good commands will treat you right, but just watch it all go to pot around the wrong people....get it?  People and situations are just as fallible in the Navy as anywhere else, maybe worse.

Carol Connelly: OK, we all have these terrible stories to get over, and you-...
Melvin Udall: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Fermi2

« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:06 »
I have no side except that which is supported by facts and not selective use of statistics. I also have no ax to grind, everyone here knows I'm not a huge fan of the USN but being enlisted was rather pleasant, I had a good time.

What I really want out of this thread is a list of the "gifts" and "leadership" abilities this young man possesses.

Mike

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2008, 12:11 »
The gentleman wants to get an Engineering Degree and an MBA.  He doesn't want to work in a nuclear plant (all of his life).  There is only one reason to go nuke navy and that is to...TaDa:  work in a nuke plant.  I think the recruiter is blowing massive smoke up his skirt about how smart he is and how nuke will translate to his overall goals.. Running a company, curing cancer, or something, I forgot.  I was just giving Nukenerd a little reality input. 

I'm not sure how being on a sub working 18hr/day is going to help him get to what he wants. It's the worst job for his stated goals, actually.  And he is married on top of this?  wow. this joker has no idea what he is getting into.  None.

I would recommend the Air Farce with a land based job, duty once a month, he can take classes at night at the local CC the Afarce will pay, he works a normal job, his sees his wife everynight, they get better housing.  He would be able to get out of the AF with an AS and transfer right into an Engineer program and get a BS degree in two years saving $10K's.  Much easier duty.  go home every night. His marriage would have chance.  No rust bucket swabbies talking about how fast they qualed P-type in maneuvering on midwatch while you thinking to yourself "there is no way I can take this for 6 hrs.  Help.  Please.  Save me.  Shut him up." 

Do they still us these terms in the Nuke world:  RTFQ!  ATFQ!

NukeNerd:  there is no Best Path for your stated goals in the Nuke Navy.  The NukeNavy is counter to your goals.  It is not to late to rethink this.  AirFarce land based duty...
See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2008, 12:10 »
Yep, married people would have a much better chance in the Farce, I agree with that bigtime.  My experience in the Navy was extremely hard compared to many stories I have heard, but not as hard as a few others.  I am glad I did it and am very proud to have gone thru it mostly intact.  I draw strength from my fast-attack days.  But while it was going on I felt alot of it was very unfair and I would NEVER want to go thru it again.  If I had been married I don't see how 80%+ of women would have been able to deal with it.

lagrange

« Reply #31 on: Jan 24, 2008, 03:52 »
I disagree with some of this about how you don't get to design stuff...

I had this guy who, when assigned to scrub the diamond decks in lower level with a wire brush (EMI), found a whole bunch of the little buggers, cut the wood handles off of them, and somehow affixed them to a pair of old bilge boots so that he could scrub the decks simply by throwing a little water and soap on them and walking around.

You can also design bilge grabbers, and many pieces of arts and crafts made from copper wire and such.

So there, lots of designing to be done.

:P

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2008, 04:26 »
I disagree with some of this about how you don't get to design stuff...

I had this guy who, when assigned to scrub the diamond decks in lower level with a wire brush (EMI), found a whole bunch of the little buggers, cut the wood handles off of them, and somehow affixed them to a pair of old bilge boots so that he could scrub the decks simply by throwing a little water and soap on them and walking around.

You can also design bilge grabbers, and many pieces of arts and crafts made from copper wire and such.

So there, lots of designing to be done.

:P

We use to build bilge scrubbers out of pipe, valves, and copper tubing. It used water and 100# air that did a pretty good job of cutting the oil and grease and other gunk that collected below the decks. The nozzle was just the pinched end of the tubing that we pried back open to the right gap.

lagrange

« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2008, 04:45 »
We desgined a steam blaster from an old steam out hose pinched at the nozzle.  That tool was dangerous but a hell of a lot of fun (and pretty effective).

There, see, more design.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 24, 2008, 05:19 »
We desgined a steam blaster from an old steam out hose pinched at the nozzle.  That tool was dangerous but a hell of a lot of fun (and pretty effective).

There, see, more design.

Maybe just nuke "Arts and Craft". 

lagrange

« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2008, 05:30 »
yeah, maybe just making really crappy work more interesting by increasing the level of risk...
with a little arts and crafts to boot!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 24, 2008, 05:55 »
yeah, maybe just making really crappy work more interesting by increasing the level of risk...
with a little arts and crafts to boot!

:) The real creativity came when we were playing head games with shipmates.  Woe be the nubs. :)
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2008, 05:58 by Marlin »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #37 on: Jan 24, 2008, 07:30 »
I am nearing my ship date (April 21, 2008), and I am thinking of my long term goals.  Some may argue that I shouldn't even think about that stuff until I'm in the fleet, but I would disagree.  Anyway, I hope to one day hold a bachelor's degree in nuclear/mechanical engineering and then a MBA (eventually).  I'm quite an ambitious young man, maybe too much, I don't know, but I don't want to work in a power plant or be a technician my whole life.  I would like to take advantage of the gifts God has given me in leadership and creative thinking.  Using my knowledge of "how things work" to successfully run a company is a dream of mine.  I 100% understand the "needs of the Navy" mentality, and I am prepared to submit to it.  However, who can offer advice as to what path I should take from here on out in order for me to achieve my goals?  Meaning, should I attempt to become an officer or SPU, be a lifer, what should I do once I get out, etc?  Also, I'm married, so if that changes anything, let me know.  Sorry if I've rambled or made grammatical errors, as I typed this pretty quickly.

Thank you,

Future Nuke (I hope!)

all I have to say, your time for leadership and creative thinking is really not through the pipeline. Keep a low profile and things run smoother... I PROMISE!

ambitions are nice, but keep your mind sharp and focused on your major short term goal you have coming up.

Fermi2

« Reply #38 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:27 »
:) The real creativity came when we were playing head games with shipmates.  Woe be the nubs. :)

There is nothing more destructive to friends and shipmates than a bored nuke! In addition to headgames nukes have figured out more ways to dump water on their buds than any species known to man!

Mike

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2008, 10:13 »

There is nothing more destructive to friends and shipmates than a bored nuke! In addition to headgames nukes have figured out more ways to dump water on their buds than any species known to man!

Mike

Just dump? A hose full of water attached to a 100# air outlet taped in the framework and aimed at the Upper Level enginerooms sound powered phone made my day more than once.  :) :) :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2008, 10:19 by Marlin »

lagrange

« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2008, 10:49 »
Just dump? A hose full of water attached to a 100# air outlet taped in the framework and aimed at the Upper Level enginerooms sound powered phone made my day more than once.  :) :) :) :) :) :)

or 150# firemain through vari-nozzle.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?