Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu CHP prep classes honeypot

Author Topic: CHP prep classes  (Read 14663 times)

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
CHP prep classes
« on: Jan 09, 2008, 09:37 »
Does anyone have a recommendation on exam prep classes for CHP test?
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2008, 09:37 by grantime »
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: CHP prep classes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2008, 09:46 »
Check out the 'Study' tab at the top of the page.

"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2008, 10:19 »
Thanks,  I've looked at the exam prep software and will probably get some but I was actually asking about classroom type prep classes-either live or via internet.  Mainly wanting to know if anyone had used a particular class and whether it was useful and worth the bucks

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2008, 12:12 »
   ...during the week long RESRAD Workshop at Argonne National Laboratory last summer three quarters of the thirty students were CHPs...
   ...having recently passed Part I of the CHP exam I asked that same question and others of my CHP classmates...
   ...from them I learned;
   ...that only ten percent that attempt both parts on the same day pass both parts...
   ...the time spent studying was the key...
   ...the prep classes are only a workout for building on the time spent studying...
   ...Bevelacqua's course at Hanford was the most highly respected, his having written much of the exam...
   ...it is also the most expensive and difficult..
   ...i was told by a veteran of his course not to go unless i was very prepared and very serious...

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2008, 12:15 by wlrun3 »

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2008, 03:05 »
I ended up taking prep class from Radiation Safety Associates.  I highly recomend them.  They gave a price cut because my employer didn't pay my way.  Good folks and good class

http://www.radiationsafetyacademy.com/chp.html

neveragain

« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:38 »
Check 16 weeks Health Physics Exam review online class (registration deadline is January 23) at Colorado State University
http://www.learn.colostate.edu/courses/EDLL/EDLL2005.dot

Phillip

« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2009, 02:31 »
Does anyone have a recommendation on exam prep classes for CHP test?

In my opinion if you want to take the CHP test and pass the first time, commit 300 hours of study AFTER taking the Bevelacqua course.  See back of HP Newsletter for dates and times.  It will cost you, but it's worth every penny.  No other course comes close and I've taken most of them at one time or another over the years.  I passed first time taking and was very well prepared.  Good luck.

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2009, 02:34 »
I've heard good things about the Bevelacqua course.  I think the secret is the 300 hours of study.  I took the course from Radiation Safety Academy http://www.radiationsafetyacademy.com/chp.html . It was a good course.  It also has advantage that it was about a third of the price of the Bevelaqua course if your employer doesn't send you.  I managed to pass both parts on first try.  The course alone would not have been sufficient but I would not have passed without it. 

I would encourage anyone that plans on taking the test to go ahead and take both parts if they qualify for it.  By the time the test rolls around you have spent several hundred hours and probably a good bit of money to get ready for it.  Why plan on doing it twice?  All in all I recommend the experience of getting ready for and taking the test.   

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?