Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How Radioactive Are You?

Author Topic: How Radioactive Are You?  (Read 18609 times)

Offline YO!

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
How Radioactive Are You?
« on: Jan 15, 2008, 08:49 »
While working on my degree, we covered just about everything imaginable associated with radiation and emission. After learning about the many things that naturally emit radiation, the instructor laughed and said: “Stay away from muscular people eating bananas! The more muscular a person is the more radioactive the person is!"

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background_radiation#Radiation_inside_the_human_body
"An average human contains about 30 milligrams of potassium-40 (40K) and about 10-8 grams of carbon-14 (14C)." That is the average human!  :-\

http://www.physics.isu.edu/radinf/natural.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/07/980729064343.htm

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/consumer%20products/consumer.htm

Cathy

Re: How Radioactive Are You?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2008, 09:06 »
How radioactive I am depends on which plant I just left!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2008, 09:51 »
eye ain't as radioactive as dat muscular dude eating da spinach salad wit lima beans, some salt substitute (bean physiologically correct), sweet potatters, tatters, 'n bananas fer de cert.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,13059.0.html

quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2008, 10:54 »
I can't believe you would reference Wikipedia instead of the Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation (BEIR) Reports.

YOUR links, showed different values for K-40 in the body;

Wikipedia stated "about" 30mg (did not state their reference).
Your link to ISU stated 17mg AND it states their data is from ICRP 30, a good reference.
Your link or ORAU doesn't state anything that I saw.

So I looked it up.  This is what I got:  There are 31 mg of K40 in a 75 kg person which gives an activity = 0.217 mCi = 8,000 Bq and 1.7x10-14 gms of C14 in a 75 kg person which gives an activity =.078 mCi = 2,900 Bq.

On the same subject, in a commentary for ASCH, Dr. Dade Moeller (BEIR VII panel) addressed people’s concern about radiation and said:

"For those who seek a radiation risk-free society, certain steps can be taken. They include:

Living at sea level, near the equator, in a well ventilated frame house, or as an alternative, in a wooden house-boat on a freshwater lake;
Avoiding mountain climbing, airline travel, cigarette smoking and the consumption of well waters and foods containing unusually high concentrations of naturally occurring radioactive materials.
Finally, if you find yourself in a crowded room and desire to keep your dose rate to minimum, you should always stand close to a woman -- to avoid receiving an unnecessarily high dose from k40."

Who says smart people don't have a sense of humor.

remowil55

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2008, 01:12 »
Who's afraid of a little Radiation ?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2008, 11:34 »

I don't know, if hanging with the honey's at a party is ALARA I'm all for it. ;)

McBride

« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2008, 02:22 »
I need to stop eating......I got'ta stop this radiation emission once and for all. 

Taco Bell is radioactive?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2008, 05:28 »

aye ain'ts a frayed of no radiation!  eye respect a lot of radiation!  eye like a little radiation, cause it pays da bills da same as a lot of radiation but my does is less.  capice?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2008, 10:17 »
I went grocery shopping today, got some really strange looks. I had my frisker

mebbee a 44-1 wood werk batter wit dat ratemeter dan a gm tube.

Offline YO!

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:05 »
I can't believe you would reference Wikipedia instead of the Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation (BEIR) Reports.

YOUR links, showed different values for K-40 in the body;

Wikipedia stated "about" 30mg (did not state their reference).
Your link to ISU stated 17mg AND it states their data is from ICRP 30, a good reference.
Your link or ORAU doesn't state anything that I saw.

So I looked it up.  This is what I got:  There are 31 mg of K40 in a 75 kg person which gives an activity = 0.217 mCi = 8,000 Bq and 1.7x10-14 gms of C14 in a 75 kg person which gives an activity =.078 mCi = 2,900 Bq.

On the same subject, in a commentary for ASCH, Dr. Dade Moeller (BEIR VII panel) addressed people’s concern about radiation and said:

"For those who seek a radiation risk-free society, certain steps can be taken. They include:

Living at sea level, near the equator, in a well ventilated frame house, or as an alternative, in a wooden house-boat on a freshwater lake;
Avoiding mountain climbing, airline travel, cigarette smoking and the consumption of well waters and foods containing unusually high concentrations of naturally occurring radioactive materials.
Finally, if you find yourself in a crowded room and desire to keep your dose rate to minimum, you should always stand close to a woman -- to avoid receiving an unnecessarily high dose from k40."

Who says smart people don't have a sense of humor.

Nice feed back!

This  ::) at the end of the Wikipedia ref. is to indicate that it was questionable information! The links provided were for the purpose of providing more accurate information and encouraging those that aren't as aware to do their own search!
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2008, 06:07 by YO! »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?