Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Talk about Bartlett honeypot

Author Topic: Talk about Bartlett  (Read 370179 times)

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
Re: Talk about Bartlett
« Reply #575 on: Aug 25, 2008, 10:11 »
Hey,

Bartlett has the HP contract for the upcoming outage at Point Beach if I'm not mistaken. Who's the Site Coordinator going to be?

HAIRDUDE

I do believe it'll be Rod Schena.
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #576 on: Aug 25, 2008, 10:50 »
This September, I will have been in the business for 28 years.

PSST....I started 22 years ago and about 10 years ago, I started looking at them long-term gigs. Whether it be long-term nuclear power or DOE, it beats calling that number when you need a job, and knowing you are gonna get the run-around. Unless you can only do outages and stay near the house, I would start fishing in another pond, Brother....

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #577 on: Aug 25, 2008, 11:25 »
Hey Eric....
when you gonna go gold... :D

I know - the company is....
and you gotta be able to write it off.... ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2008, 11:53 by HouseDad »
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #578 on: Aug 25, 2008, 12:11 »
Silverback,

If you've been in the business for 22years, why is the Recruiter Run-A-Round a new phenomenon for you?

it happens to everyone, even to the G.O.B.s sometimes.

I was once told a job was staffed when i new i was being asked for by name. i got the job.

I've even been called and asked if i was still in the business and wanted to work an outage for them when i was in the middle of one of their outages. (at least 3 times).

I once put in for a job thru NW.com and recieved an email asking if i was qualified. of course when i scrolled down, there was my resume with my quals on the first line.

don't just rely on recruiters to get the job. they obviously have alot on their plate when they are trying to staff an outage.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline hollywoodparke

• Light User
  • Game Back On, Hockey Rules
« Reply #579 on: Aug 25, 2008, 12:43 »
Are you sure that they didn't mistake you for TECH A instead of an A tech. Big difference.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #580 on: Aug 25, 2008, 01:57 »
Biloxi,
We all know that we were the A Techs at calvert thats why you were kept in the can the whole shift and got your 20 min lunch break remember that day.
They even had you and your brother covering my work in the pump bays because we had briefings to go to.

Silverback -I think you heard wrong it was the TECH A techs that they want to keep busy and happy.
Take it from me, if your working at Calvert Cliffs your not an "A" tech.  I've worked there many of times, and I know my real ranking.  By the way, does anyone have the scoop on what happen to the regional cordinator of Brunswick, Harris, and that region?

glowinggirl2000

« Reply #581 on: Aug 25, 2008, 02:40 »
I've worked with both Radbastard and Silverback. Both are great techs.
I know they will watch my back. 

I've met great workers and lousy workers in my short twelve years in this business. I am always surprised to see the useless slug muffins at each new outage. Especially senior deconners who are only "seniors" because of time and not because they are qualified to do any deconning. While I understand Bartlett has an obligation to fill positions, I would think they would get rid of the  ones that do not represent Bartlett in a positive light.  I would rather have a dozen newbies who want to work and learn, than one senior who can't do anything for fear of breaking an acrylic nail.

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #582 on: Aug 25, 2008, 03:08 »
Wow ... Guess I'm the outcast here. I worked for Bartlett for a great many years and don't recall getting the "run-around" a single time. They always had plenty of work for me and paid on time. Other than that, the rest is semantics. There will always be personality conflicts I guess, but as long as I had work and the check showed up when it was supposed to and didn't bounce, I was a happy camper.

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #583 on: Aug 25, 2008, 04:56 »
Thanx Smart.

By the way ... I'm probably going to ruffle a feather or two in saying this ... but ... I think it's time for a little reality injection in here.

Take a look around. Do you know anyone else who has no degree (many in our business do not have degrees) and makes the kind of money we make? I have two ex-schoolmates who are Lawyers, and they still don't make what I make. No offense intended, but try picking up a newspaper and finding something in the want ads that you are qualified to do that pays what we make.

I gave some serious thought to getting out of the nuke biz a while back and started job shopping in the private sector. BIG awakening. You know I made more money last year as a nuke than they pay the city commissioner of St. Paul, MN? And I haven't got 1/5 the quals for his job. Nor would I want the headaches that come with it. I had a national company offer me a gig as the OPs Manager of an entire branch office/regional installation of their outfit and it paid ... wait for it ... $48k/year.

Look ... I know we work hard. I know what we do is highly specialized and the consequences of failure in the field can be a pretty awesome weight on the old shoulders when you stop to think about the responsibility we have. But at the end of the proverbial day, we turn a pretty darn good buck for it.

My wife is the General Manager of a nationally syndicated restaurant and has over 100 employees ... and she only pulls down $42k/year and puts in 60 hours a week, not to mention the 5+ phone calls she gets at home in the evening nearly every night. She has cradle to grave responsibility for the place and makes millions/year for the home office.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to down-play the legitimate gripes on this thread. I just think sometimes we all forget what a good gig we have ... myself included. I started out Waaaaayy back when making <$5/hr and no diem lugging a hydro-laser around in a cavity and I though I was getting over on somebody 'cause I was clearing $223/week. That was well over 20 years ago but my last outage paycheck was considerably over three grand net. And come the end of outage season, those of us who choose to can take a month or three off and collect unemployment and never miss a bill.

I like what I do. Yah ... I complain now and then, just like everyone else ... But it's a good livin' and the fringe benefits like working with friends, having a good time, seeing the country, not having to look at the price tags in the grocery store ... I think it's an all around good gig.

For those of you out there with a shortage of time in the biz ... I feel ya. It's hard. Been there. Lived it. It sucked. But it gets better. Hang in there. Do your time and move up. It goes more quickly if you take every opportunity to hone your craft. Ask the old farts the hard questions. Make lots of friends. Be proud of your contributions. Grow. With time, you won't have to worry about getting into the plants you want to get into in most cases and the money will be there. You are obviously good at what you do or you wouldn't have lasted THIS long doing it. Also ... Don't take business personally. Sometimes when it seems like you're getting screwed, it has nothing to do with you. It is just business.

Okay ... I'll put away my soapbox.

Just my humble opinion.

Floyd Flanigan

vikingfan

« Reply #584 on: Aug 25, 2008, 05:13 »
Amen brother look around the want ads etc and if you wnt a local job etc your probably gonna take a 1/3 to 2/3 pay cut for that gig. i started out as a deconner with bartlett in 1990 making like $7 an hour. i worked with them and a couple other outfits for a number of years, i  listened to my pear bitch and grip about how bad they had it but it's nothing as bad as working your butt off for < 300$ a week. as for the work i now work as a reactor service tech making prett good maoney etc. also bartlett always treated me good and i was never out of work long if at all.

justatech

« Reply #585 on: Aug 25, 2008, 05:16 »
Thanx Smart.

By the way ... I'm probably going to ruffle a feather or two in saying this ... but ... I think it's time for a little reality injection in here.

Take a look around. Do you know anyone else who has no degree (many in our business do not have degrees) and makes the kind of money we make? I have two ex-schoolmates who are Lawyers, and they still don't make what I make. No offense intended, but try picking up a newspaper and finding something in the want ads that you are qualified to do that pays what we make.

Okay ... I'll put away my soapbox.
Just my humble opinion.
Floyd Flanigan

I was from a previous field (degreed) and from my perspective you are correct in your statements. Even after I got into this business I continuously checked other fields. I found I like this one better, pay is better and I don't have to wear a monkey suit to the office everyday 8).
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2008, 05:19 by justatech »

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #586 on: Aug 25, 2008, 07:54 »
I was from a previous field (degreed) and from my perspective you are correct in your statements. Even after I got into this business I continuously checked other fields. I found I like this one better, pay is better and I don't have to wear a monkey suit to the office everyday 8).
Yep, you get to wear the banana suit instead.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #587 on: Aug 25, 2008, 11:07 »
Hairdud(e),

Hey even us old guys have feelings ( as in ask the old farts).  I have helped train a lot of techs over the last 30 + years and it is very difficult now to take the time to train the next generation. When you are working outages that are understaffed I find it is much easier (and prefered by the utility) to just handle the nasty jobs than it is to let someone who has not been there and done that cover the job. In 15 years in and out of the Bartlett system I have never been hired or paid to be a trainer at any job. Has anyone else met a trainer/job coverage technician ?  A lot of us still try to be nice and help others when we can, but in the last 10 years it has become very difficult.

Cathy

« Reply #588 on: Aug 26, 2008, 12:02 »
Hairdud(e),
Hey even us old guys have feelings ( as in ask the old farts).  I have helped train a lot of techs over the last 30 + years and it is very difficult now to take the time to train the next generation. When you are working outages that are understaffed I find it is much easier (and preferred by the utility) to just handle the nasty jobs than it is to let someone who has not been there and done that cover the job. In 15 years in and out of the Bartlett system I have never been hired or paid to be a trainer at any job. Has anyone else met a trainer/job coverage technician ?  A lot of us still try to be nice and help others when we can, but in the last 10 years it has become very difficult.
Over the past couple of years I have tried many, many times to get juniors involved in job coverage. Lately, just getting them in the can is difficult. Outages are understaffed and getting a junior in the can is nearly impossible. I have run across house that don't want to allow juniors in for big jobs like head lift or jumping generators etc... In the last couple of years I have run into juniors that haven't even been in the can and it wasn't their first outage!! I was never paid to be a job coverage trainer but I did work at one plant that paid me to tutor technicians on the NUF or Northeast Utilities Exam as it used to be called. When I can I try to teach decon to use meters, when possible I take the decon technician with me when I count the post decon smears (and teach them how to use a frisker) and I try to get any junior that shows interest some job coverage experience. It can be frustrating when you ask house to bring a junior in for an evolution and you get no for an answer.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #589 on: Aug 26, 2008, 12:22 »
Old Hp and Cathy, karma to you both and thanks for reaching out a hand to those that are eager to learn if only given the chance. Times have changed over the past 3 decades since I've been been around and worked in this business; it is nice to know that there are still some out there that are willing to help the new generation of techs.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Talk about Bartlett
« Reply #590 on: Aug 26, 2008, 09:01 »
I can agree with both Old HP (not the first time) and Cathy (ditto.) It is frustrating to find a junior that wants to learn and the utility steps in and limits the junior's chances. It is also very frustrating to have someone that wants to learn but the time just isn't there. But the most frustrating thing is not being able to find a junior that wants to learn... the I-will-just-sit-at-the-control-point-and-earn-my-time junior. There are way too many out there that don't have the ambition to go out and learn something.

Having said that, I am currently in a position that I get to teach new (sometimes BRAND new) juniors the fundamentals (classroom) they need to learn their profession. Some of them are very enthusiastic and make me feel good about the future HPs that will carry on after we (those of us from the 70s) leave. I wish I could take them into the field after their classroom training... but I have to admit that working in an air-conditioned building year-round has its advantages, too.

I also agree whole-heartedly with HAIRDUDE. I spent a lot of time playing the 'what if I wasn't an HP' game, and the only way to make this much money (legally) involved going back to college... and I like the position of teacher much better than student. Nuclear Power been berry, berry good to me. On topic, Bartlett has also been very good to me... I hope they think I have returned the favor. Do you always get what you want? Not in this life, no. In the balance is it worth the bad stuff to get to the good stuff? Well, after almost 35 years I am still here and that says enough to me.

It takes a very ummm... different type of person to enjoy this job and the headaches that come with it. I have been asked what a normal rent-a-tech is like and I just laugh... oxymoron (what kind of moron did you call me?) I happen to like working with (most of) the people I meet because we all have something in common despite being very different people.

There are lots of things to fix. But they are fixable and worth fixing.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #591 on: Aug 26, 2008, 11:35 »
Amen to all, brothers and sister. In this business, all kinds can be found. There are those so hungry for knowledge that they hound you to the point of great annoyance ... Those are the best kind. There are those who want to "skate" through and get their time in for the increase in pay, only to find themselves sorely ill prepared when they step out into the big, bad senior HP world and have to cover a s&@t storm. Trial by fire can be a rude awakening.

I was one of the former. I asked so many questions when I was a lad that I am sure I caused great grief to many a senior tech. But I was fortunate that, in those days, the necessary time for teaching was allowed. I owe a great debt of gratitude to a great many 'old farts' on this site. They took the time to give me the tools I needed to get pretty good at this gig.

As for the utilities not allowing juniors in the can, I know it, I've seen it, and I hate it. It detracts from the quality of future seniors, robbing them of the opportunity to learn what they need to know before the heat gets turned up and it's too late. I was told once by a Plant Manager, during a meeting, that Training is "core business" and should be treated as such. But by the time that message filters through the schedule and budget strainer, it comes out diluted to say the least. Fear of mishaps in the field plays heavily into this as well. Allowing an inexperienced junior out into the field for a high level evolution makes management a bit jumpy. ALARA considerations come into play as well. If you only send the seasoned techs out for such jobs, the number of bodies soaking up dose is minimized. But you gotta spend some to make some, as the saying goes. I firmly believe it's worth the expenditure of money and dose to get the wisdom passed on.

For those of you willing to teach, kudos to you. It is a noble pursuit. I only wish the time to do so was allowed more often. Over the years I have been witness to some awesome mentoring in the field and it warmed my heart each and every time I saw it. I've passed on a nugget or two myself and always felt like I'd made a meaningful contribution when it was all said and done. There is no reward greater than the one you get from giving of yourself to another.

As for the Bartlett issue ... It's good to see some of the people with good experiences come out of the proverbial woodwork and share their experiences. There are a lot of houses, cars, trucks and personal watercraft out there which were bought with Bartlett dollars, along with dollars from SEC, Numanco, GTS, PSESI etc. Working for one, two or all of the contracting companies has been of great benefit to all of us over the years and I believe will continue on for many years to come. Sometimes we dwell a bit too much on the down-side of things. I think that is just the nature of the beast. Being torqued at the boss from time to time is status quo in any business. But before any of us pull up stakes and give the old one-finger-salute to any of them, I think we need to mosey out to the garage and look over our toys ... maybe walk out to the curb and get a good look at the house we live in or look around at the family we've been able to provide a good life for ... and maybe, just maybe, come to the conclusion that it's all worth it.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #592 on: Aug 27, 2008, 02:26 »
As for the Bartlett issue ... It's good to see some of the people with good experiences come out of the proverbial woodwork and share their experiences. There are a lot of houses, cars, trucks and personal watercraft out there which were bought with Bartlett dollars, along with dollars from SEC, Numanco, GTS, PSESI etc. Working for one, two or all of the contracting companies has been of great benefit to all of us over the years and I believe will continue on for many years to come. Sometimes we dwell a bit too much on the down-side of things. I think that is just the nature of the beast. Being torqued at the boss from time to time is status quo in any business. But before any of us pull up stakes and give the old one-finger-salute to any of them, I think we need to mosey out to the garage and look over our toys ... maybe walk out to the curb and get a good look at the house we live in or look around at the family we've been able to provide a good life for ... and maybe, just maybe, come to the conclusion that it's all worth it.

Right on! I do think we tend to look at the down side but you are correct in saying that Bartlett has bought a lot for many of us. It reminds me of growing up outside a paper mill in Florida, family would come to see us and they'd choke and gag at the smell and Brad and I would always say... smells like bacon and eggs to me... moral is you may think Bartlett stinks but they put food on my table and pay my bills.

I believe we also tend to forget how the changing industry has affected Bartlett and other companies. Not only do we not get to work 9 month jobs pulling in the big bucks (over time) but they don't get it either. Imagine a company going from working 60 - 80 techs for 1 job over a period of 9 months to only working half that many for 9 weeks?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #593 on: Aug 27, 2008, 08:56 »
Okay,...Bartlett's refrigerator isn't working right?!?!?,... :P

Here's one on-topic..... how likely or unlikely is it to get picked up for only 2-3 weeks of outage?  I am thinking of taking vacation at my present job to get back in the business. I'd take decon or Jr. position, just want to get familiar with what has changed.

justatech

« Reply #594 on: Aug 27, 2008, 09:47 »
I'd take decon or Jr. position, just want to get familiar with what has changed.

I think your " outage" wardrobe would scare them.

Back on topic: I know of several house guys who take vacation and work an outage. Call Eric - see what he has. Also check out his post tonight about Outage Information - Bartlett has added information to their site concerning all the upcoming outages - what you need prior to going, places to stay - information on the are and contact numbers. They did a great job of setting this up - Karma for saving the trees too  8)

Here - - -  - I copied Eric's post - it's in the Career Path - Outages - Outage Reporting Information area (in case it disappears as we type on about the DummyCrats   :o )

This is more of an informational post than anything else - Its been brought to my attention that a lot of technicians are not aware of or failed to understand that Bartlett is not sending out "Welcome Packages" as a standard now-a-days.  Bartlett has set up Site Information Blogs on our website to furnish y'all with information y'all will need such as report time & place, directions, lodging listings, etc...  Upon confirmation each individual should have been made aware of these blogs and if they did not have access to a computer a welcome package should have been sent.  If for some reason you do not think that the recruiter who confirmed you this season informed you about this change please notify me so that I can get that recruiter recalibrated.  To view these blogs go to www.bartlettinc.com, click on Outage List or Employment Forms on the Bartlett Home Page, then click on the "Site Information Websites" link to the left.  This will bring you to a full listing of the outages that we are staffing for the Fall '08 season.  If anyone should have any questions or concerns regarding these blog sites please contact me at the Bartlett office x1289 or drop me an e-mail ericb@bartlettinc.com.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2008, 09:47 by justatech »

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #595 on: Aug 27, 2008, 10:11 »
I think your " outage" wardrobe would scare them.

Back on topic: I know of several house guys who take vacation and work an outage. Call Eric - see what he has. Also check out his post tonight about Outage Information - Bartlett has added information to their site concerning all the upcoming outages - what you need prior to going, places to stay - information on the are and contact numbers. They did a great job of setting this up - Karma for saving the trees too  8)

Here I copied Eric's post - it's in the Career Path - Outages - Outage Reporting Information area (in case it disappears as we type on about the DummyCrats   :o )

This is more of an informational post than anything else - Its been brought to my attention that a lot of technicians are not aware of or failed to understand that Bartlett is not sending out "Welcome Packages" as a standard now-a-days.  Bartlett has set up Site Information Blogs on our website to furnish y'all with information y'all will need such as report time & place, directions, lodging listings, etc...  Upon confirmation each individual should have been made aware of these blogs and if they did not have access to a computer a welcome package should have been sent.  If for some reason you do not think that the recruiter who confirmed you this season informed you about this change please notify me so that I can get that recruiter recalibrated.  To view these blogs go to www.bartlettinc.com, click on Outage List or Employment Forms on the Bartlett Home Page, then click on the "Site Information Websites" link to the left.  This will bring you to a full listing of the outages that we are staffing for the Fall '08 season.  If anyone should have any questions or concerns regarding these blog sites please contact me at the Bartlett office x1289 or drop me an e-mail ericb@bartlettinc.com.

I commend Bartlett for the fine job they have done on the blog site, this in a great step forward for them and us; at the same time I hope that you nukeworkers will still visit the lodging section here to post your views and recommendations on lodging as your opinion and experience with local lodging is not only wanted but needed.  :)

sammoyers

« Reply #596 on: Aug 28, 2008, 12:26 »
I've worked with both Radbastard and Silverback. Both are great techs.
I know they will watch my back. 

I gotta stop that, my wife is the jealous type...  ;)

As for Bartlett, OF COURSE I'M USED TO THE RUN AROUND... It just gets tiresome after awhile.

Long term work is slow due to "Super Fund" money going to Afghanistan, and Iraq. (Not bitchin about that).

I was at Calvert Cliffs, because I was trying to get into Watts Bar, and after a month of "No Word yet" I was told the NEXT DAY, Watts Bar is staffed. EXCUSE ME, how did that happen OVERNIGHT! So I asked what outages there were BEFORE DC Cook, and the reply was AND I QUOTE!, "Oh, you want to work before, you go to Cook?" Despite what I was thinking, I said, "Yes, that's why I was trying to go to Watts Bar, but since that one is staffed now, is ther someplace else I can go like Calvert, or ..." That's how I went to Calvert.. AND BTW... I enjoyed the outage and the people.

And I have also been TECH "A", North Anna, 1992: Tech "A" was traveling to work on county highway, after crossing Lake Anna. As Tech "A" crested a hill, there was a gray pickup truck proceeding slowly. Teach "A", decided not to rear-end the pick up and went around the truck. Tech "A" was doing the posted speed limit of 55 mph. The occupants of the pick up didn't appreciate Tech "A"'s efforts to prevent an accident, and being the upstanding NA Security Officers they were, they reported the "Lunatic Camaro Driver" to the Plant Manager. The Plant Manager decided that if I (Tech A) didn't obey the rules on state roads, I OBVIOUSLY WOULDN'T FOLLOW THE RULES IN THE PLANT. And "Tech A" was tossed out on his back side.

I still get called "Tech A" by some techs that knew me back then... ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2008, 12:27 by Silverback »

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #597 on: Aug 28, 2008, 06:56 »
On a Positive Note......

Bartlett Impressed me this past week!

RG!

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #598 on: Aug 28, 2008, 08:31 »
Eric,
Hear that the company is being sold to Areva  Any comment?
LM

justatech

« Reply #599 on: Aug 28, 2008, 04:50 »
Eric,
Hear that the company is being sold to Areva  Any comment?
LM

I REALLY HOPE THIS IS A NASTY RUMOR!

Nothing against Areva - I like working with them but they can be cowboys. How would you control them if you're on their payroll? Talk about a conflict of interst................... :o

I guess instead of contractors assisting house with Refueling & SG's they'll be working in the Aux building doing surveys, smearing, clearing, ..........hmmm.....isn't it cheaper to train a bunch of Jr's to do the work with a few contract Sr's as oversight.................?  :-X

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?