Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Is navy nuke hard as everyone say it is??
honeypot

Poll

would hard work be enough to survive nuke school?

is it as hard as everyone say it is?
11 (91.7%)
how's the schooling like?
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Is navy nuke hard as everyone say it is??  (Read 29337 times)

glbreakr22

Is navy nuke hard as everyone say it is??
« on: Jan 07, 2008, 05:48 »
I'm shipping out for basic training in a couple of weeks and I'm freaking out.he he. well how can you survive power school and prototype? it seems like you have to be the brightest of brightest to pass? i consider myself as an average Jane (87 on ASVAB, 69 on NFQT) and i wouldn't wanna see myself fail out of nuke. i need advice!

oh and what is the fine print in the contract about another medical exam that may disqualify a person to go in as a nuke?

nuke is seriously what i wanted to go in as and i just don't know if I'm "smart" enough for it... and i wouldn't wanna get stuck 6 years doing a job that i don't really like if i get DQed or De-Nuked. so i guess I'm worried. its a pretty long contract..so i wouldn't wanna get stuck.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Is navy nuke hard as everyone say it is??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:08 »
As a former instructor at Nuke School, I can tell you that if you work hard, you'll make it through the pipeline.  Its not easy, but there is help available to those who seek it.

There are people dumber then you who have made it through by hard work and determination.......but, there are also people a lot smarter then you who have failed out by not giving the best effort they could give.

Keep a positive attitude, follow the rules, and work hard and you'll be just fine.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2008, 07:15 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline mikec426

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2008, 10:52 »
I'm shipping out for basic training in a couple of weeks and I'm freaking out.he he. well how can you survive power school and prototype? it seems like you have to be the brightest of brightest to pass? i consider myself as an average Jane (87 on ASVAB, 69 on NFQT) and i wouldn't wanna see myself fail out of nuke. i need advice!

oh and what is the fine print in the contract about another medical exam that may disqualify a person to go in as a nuke?

nuke is seriously what i wanted to go in as and i just don't know if I'm "smart" enough for it... and i wouldn't wanna get stuck 6 years doing a job that i don't really like if i get DQed or De-Nuked. so i guess I'm worried. its a pretty long contract..so i wouldn't wanna get stuck.

87 ASVAB & 69 NFQT and you think you're average?!  I've given a few hundred NFQTs over the last 2 years and I can tell you that average is somewhere in the 30's... as in a failing score on the NFQT.

You, by far, have what it takes to make it.  There is something to the power of positive thinking.  Try to keep the thoughts of "what if I don't make it?" out of your head. 

About the medical thing.  They basically check you out again in boot camp to make sure you're alright.  When I went through RTC we were called "special physicals."  The only thing different I noticed from every other person in medical is that we had more vials of blood drawn to have more tests done, making sure the investment the Navy is about to make in us is worthwhile.  So don't worry about, everybody will go back through medical in boot camp.

ddklbl

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:18 »
87 ASVAB & 69 NFQT and you think you're average?!  I've given a few hundred NFQTs over the last 2 years and I can tell you that average is somewhere in the 30's... as in a failing score on the NFQT.

You, by far, have what it takes to make it. 

Quote from: Jerry Lundegaard
Well, we've never done this before. But seeing as it's special circumstances and all, he says I can knock a hundred dollars off that Trucoat.

Just kidding, mike ;)

Yes, glbreakr22, you'll do fine.  It's only as hard as you let it be.  BTW, six years goes by fast.  Ask Roll Tide or Marlin.  They're old.  Like, 38 or something. 

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:15 »
Just kidding, mike ;)

Yes, glbreakr22, you'll do fine.  It's only as hard as you let it be.  BTW, six years goes by fast.  Ask Roll Tide or Marlin.  They're old.  Like, 38 or something. 

If you make it through the initial testing to be accepted the only road block is a lack of effort.

By the way my son will be 38 in a few years.  :)

nimitznuke

« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2008, 10:16 »
I agree completely! To be honest, I never thought I would make it this far, and that fear of failure has driven me to succeed. In the 6 short years since I joined the Navy, I have gone from a scared seaman with little life experience to a dual-warfare qualified First Class that qualified Senior-In-Rate early on my ship. It's not impossible, if you apply yourself. Believe me, if I can do it, you can do it!!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2008, 01:34 »
I would just like to point out Asvab scores are not everything...

You are in for a lot of studying, and a lot of hardwork. this is something I gaurentee you have never experienced before. To ease your mind, I want to tell you that the material itself is not that hard. Its actually barely considered advanced. The real problem with this school is its 1) stressful 2) EXTREMELY fast paced, and 3) people who fail 80% of the time dont like to work for it.

You seem to be the type that is scared of failing and will be willing to work. Not a "hot shot, im smarter then everyone" type that seems to pop up... (im not one of those... right? haha. search my posts. I was COCKY :().  You should do fine with adequate work effort involved. Just keep in mind you are still in the military and htat means a lot of things, not just academic. Keep your nose clean, chin up, and STUDY HARD! 

Dont ever give up, everyones willing to help you out if you are willing to work for it.

jwcj8513

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2008, 01:38 »
when you ship out? i ship out feb 27th to boot camp

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2008, 02:44 »
I would just like to point out Asvab scores are not everything...

You are in for a lot of studying, and a lot of hardwork. this is something I gaurentee you have never experienced before. To ease your mind, I want to tell you that the material itself is not that hard. Its actually not considered advanced in any way. The real problem with this school is its 1) stressful 2) EXTREMELY fast paced, and 3) people who fail 80% of the time dont like to work for it.

You seem to be the type that is scared of failing and will be willing to work. Not a "hot shot, im smarter then everyone" type that seems to pop up... (im not one of those... right? haha. search my posts. I was COCKY :().  You should do fine with adequate work effort involved. Just keep in mind you are still in the military and htat means a lot of things, not just academic. Keep your nose clean, chin up, and STUDY HARD! 

Dont ever give up, everyones willing to help you out if you are willing to work for it.

Fixed it for you.  :P

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2008, 11:43 »
Fixed it for you.  :P

Justin

lol cmon its not that hard at all. Prototype is where they really kick your butt. But at that point you should have some idea what you are doing :)
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2008, 11:45 by Cycoticpenguin »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2008, 12:19 »
I thought (in my case anyway) that ProtoType was the Easiest of the school's.  I thought my first boat was the toughest thing I'd done while in the program.  It made power school hours look like the easiest hours of my life. 

Boat (SSN) life was pretty demanding at least to me.

My experience was much the same I had a much easier time of it in Prototype and my first boat was a fast attack due into the shipyard after a patrol. There was a strong emphasis on quailifying as many watch stations as possible prior to entering the yard. There were very few movies or down time for me on that first patrol. While qualified people played cards and watched movies my Sea Daddy had me A%&*$es and elbows on all of my watchstander, basic engineering, and submarine quals. Then just prior to the shipyard we were handed the shipyard radcon manual as we were going to cover weekend work for the boat, the drydock, and the maintenance barge alongside. I never want to do bottle checks ever again.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2008, 05:28 »

lol cmon its not that hard at all. Prototype is where they really kick your butt. But at that point you should have some idea what you are doing :)

I think you missed my fix. :) I changed where you said ITS BARELY CONSIDERED ADVANCED to IT ISN'T ADVANCED IN ANY WAY or something like that. :)

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2008, 03:19 »
I think you missed my fix. :) I changed where you said ITS BARELY CONSIDERED ADVANCED to IT ISN'T ADVANCED IN ANY WAY or something like that. :)

Justin

OH lol. thought you changed it to say the material is advanced. My bad. (i had to read it like 30 times to make sure you did something lol. Thats a good way to mess with people haha).

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2008, 07:50 »
When you say "navy nuke"--do you mean NFAS, or NPS, or NPTU, or ship's qualifications, or Instructor Duty qualifications, or Nuclear Planner School, or COH, or refueling, or design school or ETMS, or ???

I will say one of the hardest schools was Nuclear Planner.  Not everyone made it, yet they were all graduates of the pipeline and senior qualified on their ships. 
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?