Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu A few quick questions. honeypot

Author Topic: A few quick questions.  (Read 3096 times)

sebdude420

A few quick questions.
« on: Jan 25, 2008, 01:08 »
I would like to know how many college units you get while at A School.

Also, this might be off topic here but maybe someone knows. What is the maximum number of units you can have if you want to sign up in the Midshipmen program. If you have more details about the midshipmen program or where I can find them it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

ddklbl

Re: A few quick questions.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2008, 01:22 »
The whole college unit thing is a scam, my opinion.  The American Council on Education recommends that A-school training is worth so many units but colleges are under no obligation to accept that recommendation.  Only a few do and you aren't given credit for them until you apply to a school that does and pay tuition to finish the remainder of their degree program.  The ones that do are very military friendly and are listed directly on the Navy College website.

The number of credits recommended by ACE vary for your rate.  I think I got ~30 for A school.  It isn't the same for each of the ratings. 

Midshipman program?  What program are you interested in.  The Naval Academy?  ROTC?

sebdude420

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2008, 02:54 »
I am 20 years old. i have 31 units in college. my recruiter told me 27 of those are transferrable. I am taking a class right now and im going to get 3 more units. I scored a 90 on the asvab and i got a 55 out of 80 on the nuke test. i am not sure what the differences are in the different midshipmen programs. i will do some search on it real quick see what i find. im at work though so i have limited time on this website and other sites.

taterhead

« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2008, 05:14 »
If you were to get picked up as a Midshipmen, they may not take any of your credits.  And the recruiter (enlisted side anyway) might only be GUESSING if he tried to quantify that number.

If you want to be an officer, go talk to an Officer ROTC-type recruiter or contact the Naval Academy directly (use those finely-honed google talents).  An enlisted recruiter is there for one reason alone...to get you to enlist.  This is not bad; it's their job.  However, once you enlist in the Navy, you lose a big upper-hand in the advantage when it comes to Officer programs.  Trust me, you and 100 other fresh-faced folks with equal test scores will be in power school waiting for the USNA to pick only a few of you!

What DD said is right.  I mostly got elective credits out of my A school/power school training.

t
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2008, 05:29 by taterhead »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?