Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Potential OPS Job for a Newbie - Advice Needed honeypot

Author Topic: Potential OPS Job for a Newbie - Advice Needed  (Read 47771 times)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Re: Potential OPS Job for a Newbie - Advice Needed
« Reply #25 on: Aug 11, 2008, 09:21 »
Now that I've done those jobs I know how much I would need to do them, but it may be different for you.  That's the point.  There are only 5 "normal" positions that I can think of:

You really want the job for whatever reason (money/training/foot in door etc..) and will take a relatively low or average wage.
You know how much the job is worth due to years of experience and intimate knowledge of the specific company so you ask for more.
You need X amount of dollars/vaca/quality of life to do the job because you have other options worth x amount also (take best option).
You don't really need the job but just want to do something, so you are willing to risk asking for more because you don't care that much.
You wouldn't do the job for any amount of money, or it would take a stupid amount of $ to get you to do it.

For instance, I don't like rotating shiftwork, so I would need a stupid amount of money to do that again for any length of time.

If you really want this job, then take the offer unless it is insulting.  If you ask for another 3 grand for your bonus, would it be worth you not getting the job?  If you don't care too much, then ask.  Depends on your position.  I think 5000$ bonus sounds reasonable but I don't know how bad they want you, if they will do that sort of thing (risk causing hate and discontent), if you interviewed well, if they really need people, so on and so on.  It's a crap shoot man, that's why you only play these games if you have other options, know what you are doing, or don't care too much.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #26 on: Aug 12, 2008, 10:01 »
So what would be a reasonable counter offer by the interviewee for sign-on bonus, vacation, etc.?  If they offer $2000 for a sign-on, what do you come back with?  Assume the interviewee is the average ex-navy nuke with 6 or 8 years in, nothing special.

I think you are going to find that in general, offers for new people out of the Navy are going to be non-negotiable. Sure you could put in a counter offer, that is always your right, but they have the right to pass to the next guy getting out. I do know that for NLOs, for example, at my plant they all get the same no matter what. There is no negotiation by anyone. Pretty much the same holds true for instant SROs... they have one standard offer, take it or leave. Each utility is different, sure, but in general, they will probably treat all entry level people the same. I don't know that for sure though as I am only basing it on what I have seen thus far.

Justin

ricofern

« Reply #27 on: Oct 27, 2008, 10:07 »
the license is worth the hard work, once you have it, you have a job for life, stay on shift for a few cycles then transfer to another position, if they let you, a license bonus is usually worth 12k-15k/year, once your off license you will lose that, some trainers keep their license so they can work during outages, get your personal life in order before starting class as its a big monkey on your back until you finish, good luck 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?