Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NRC Reactor Licensing
honeypot

Author Topic: NRC Reactor Licensing  (Read 12264 times)

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
NRC Reactor Licensing
« on: Feb 03, 2008, 07:22 »
I am a graduate student at MIT.

I am starting work on a thesis that will investigate the possibility of placing a nuclear reactor on a commercial cruise ship or even a commercial tanker ship. I am trying to figure out what would be the licensing process for such a ship, since there has only ever been one commercial nuclear powered ship (USS Savannah which was licensed by DOE as a concept ship).

Can anyone refer me to someone in the organization who may be able to assist me?
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2008, 04:17 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

ddklbl

Re: NRC Reactor Licensing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:43 »
I am graduate student at MIT.

I am starting work on a thesis that will investigate the possibility of placing a nuclear reactor on a commercial cruise ship or even a commercial tanker ship. I am trying to figure out what would be the licensing process for such a ship, since there has only ever been one commercial nuclear powered ship (USS Savannah which was licensed by DOE as a concept ship).

Can anyone refer me to someone in the organization who may be able to assist me?

I know that USC, gamecocks not trojans, has a graduate course in Licensing/Regulation, EMCH 561.  I don't know what the course details are, but it might be worth seeing if anyone you might know still can hook you up with a syllabus.

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2008, 04:21 »
I know that USC, gamecocks not trojans, has a graduate course in Licensing/Regulation, EMCH 561.  I don't know what the course details are, but it might be worth seeing if anyone you might know still can hook you up with a syllabus.

I graduated from USC in 1998....there was no nuke program back then.  I don't know any there currently. 

I know the basics in Reactor licensing.  My guess is there currently is no process in place to license a seagoing reactor plant.  However, I can't very well write that in my thesis without further investigation. 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2008, 06:15 »
I dont know much about the licensing aspect, but is there anyway to check into the way the DOD goes about getting the green light for building a nuke ship.  It would seem like there is some process in the building of a new commercial ship that may indicate what type of propulsion system is to be installed (diesal, turbine, or possibly nuke).  I know all ships must go through a pretty rigourous inspection and ocean trials process in order to be judged sea worthy so I can only imagine there are provisions for propulsion.

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2008, 05:40 »
Yes,
American Bureau of Shipping or one of the other classification societies will "license" the ship, including the propulsion plant.  However, since my proposed ship will have a reactor, I'm sure the NRC will be involved in that process. 

I don't see DoD, specifically Naval Reactors, being involved. 

DoE, maybe....that's how Savannah was licensed back in the late 50's.

L._LaGarde

« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2008, 05:30 »
NS Savannah was originally licensed by the AEC (as an AEC project) and is currently licensed (possession only) by NRC under 10 CFR Part 50.  I do not see anything in Part 50 that says it would not apply to a ship, assuming the ship is licensed in the U.S.  However, the current trend for commercial plants is toward Part 52 licensing efforts with a pre-certified reactor plant design.  One would have a stiff challenge in fitting a certified design into a ship.  Given the constraints on NRC resources, they are not likely to dedicate much effort to a one-of-a-kind project.  Plus, you are going to pay a couple hundred dollars per hour for their licensing work.

Contact NRC, via the contact info on their web page.  That is what they are there for.  Also, they have significant outreach to the university world, so they probably have someone you can talk to.

ihadmail

« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2008, 08:58 »
I'm in Columbia, if you feel that information from the professor of the licensing class here would benefit you just shoot me a PM. I can shoot by the campus one day and get you contact info.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?