Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Can I change job at boot camp?  

Author Topic: Can I change job at boot camp?  (Read 30699 times)

JustinHEMI05

Re: Can I change job at boot camp?
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2008, 05:53 »
haha I wasnt serious :D  Our khaki's have earned the right to order us blue shirts around :) (well... most of them anyway)

On no its not that. Its the statement that its the last time a Senior Chief will care about you. In my opinion, it is the senior enlisted's JOB to care about junior enlisted. But you're right, they don't anymore. My grandfather told me about his Chief in WWII... summed it up as someone who was to be looked up to, honored, respected, and feared all in one. When the shit hit the fan, he was your shield. But then it was your ass when he got done with you. Today... nope none of that. Thats what struck a nerve, you saying he would be the last Chief that cared about him. Its a shame it is that way. There are some good Chiefs though, thats for sure.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2008, 06:48 »
On no its not that. Its the statement that its the last time a Senior Chief will care about you. In my opinion, it is the senior enlisted's JOB to care about junior enlisted. But you're right, they don't anymore. My grandfather told me about his Chief in WWII... summed it up as someone who was to be looked up to, honored, respected, and feared all in one. When the shit hit the fan, he was your shield. But then it was your ass when he got done with you. Today... nope none of that. Thats what struck a nerve, you saying he would be the last Chief that cared about him. Its a shame it is that way. There are some good Chiefs though, thats for sure.

I think I have been fortunate to have ( and seem to still have) some good chiefs. My a school cheif (made CPO in 6 years) really made me who I am today as a sailor. He expected/demanded the best, and it shone through him as well. I've never respected anyone else more in my life. That said, I apologize for saying that, it was pretty rash, and for the most part, untrue.

drainbamage

« Reply #27 on: Apr 12, 2008, 12:48 »
Is it possible to change my job to nuke at boot camp?

I scored 88 on the asvab and 69 on the nuke test. My current job is AECF and I'm due to leave in 9 days(02/13). I require a waiver because my husband is not a US citizen. I don't know how long it will take for the waiver to go thru, but I know that I am more than satified with my current job and I am ready to leave as soon as possible. I already go in as E-3 because of college credits.

If I got to bootcamp and they see that I am qualified for nuke and my waiver is approved, is it likely that I can get switched to nuke?

Just finished boot camp, what you came in as is what you're stuck with for I believe 2 years out of A school. The only people that I saw play with their contract at all were those people who tried to pick up a spec ops contract or people in a rate which was consolidated.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #28 on: Apr 20, 2008, 08:27 »
Just finished boot camp, what you came in as is what you're stuck with for I believe 2 years out of A school. The only people that I saw play with their contract at all were those people who tried to pick up a spec ops contract or people in a rate which was consolidated.

what are you talking about? lol

drainbamage

« Reply #29 on: Apr 20, 2008, 09:35 »
what are you talking about? lol

I'm not sure what you're confused about. You can't reclassify in Boot camp unless you're trying to get a spec ops contract or your rate was consolidated.

I was just there, so I'm  fairly sure I'm not mistaken.

grimmreaper42

« Reply #30 on: Apr 22, 2008, 05:52 »
He's right, also for spec ops you can classify out of any job, except for nuke.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #31 on: Apr 22, 2008, 08:26 »
I'm not sure what you're confused about. You can't reclassify in Boot camp unless you're trying to get a spec ops contract or your rate was consolidated.

Don't worry about him, he thinks he knows everything.  :P Just kidding cycotic.

But to answer your signature, yes... you are dink.

Justin

Offline tigger

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #32 on: Apr 25, 2008, 01:29 »
Is it possible to change my job to nuke at boot camp?

I scored 88 on the asvab and 69 on the nuke test. My current job is AECF and I'm due to leave in 9 days(02/13). I require a waiver because my husband is not a US citizen. I don't know how long it will take for the waiver to go thru, but I know that I am more than satified with my current job and I am ready to leave as soon as possible. I already go in as E-3 because of college credits.

If I got to bootcamp and they see that I am qualified for nuke and my waiver is approved, is it likely that I can get switched to nuke?

Let me tell you a little Navy story... When I joined back in 92, they were getting ready to let females back in the nuke program. I grew up in a commercial nuke family, I wanted to go into the Navy as a nuke, then get out and do the commercial nuke thing. Well, I was told to pick a rating since females were not allowed in yet, and once they opened it up to women, I would be able to change. I chose AMH. We were 2 weeks from graduation day, and they announced that women could go into the nuke program. I had scored a 94 on the asfab, I qualified for the program from all aspects. The problem was, the rating that they talked me into at MEP's was under manned for women, but over manned in general. And since it was undermanned for women, I was unable to change rates. I tried 4 times while I was in to change rates to nuke, and it never happened. Get the info on the rate they are trying to get you to enlist under. Just because it is overmanned, doesn't mean that as a woman, they will let you out of it. I agree with all the other posts, do not go to bootcamp until you have exactly what you want!
Good luck and enjoy your enlistment!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2008, 09:00 »

I misread your post, because it was completely random it seemed. I thought you meant nukes could pick up special ops haha.

zpyderman

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2008, 10:31 »
I want to know now if I could change over to nuke in basic. They denied my waiver for nuke because I am too old. My current job is AD, is there a possibility of changing to nuke during basic?

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2008, 02:40 »
I have seen a few people "strike" over to nukes.  One was a good buddy of mine that was an HM(FMF) who had been in for long enough to make 1st and then they let him strike over as a nuke.  They are few and far between but with the way the nuke community is hurting for manning right now, they might just work something out.  Might have to make it a reenlistment promise or something.  Good luck. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 02:48 »
Oh and just remember this, althought it might be an urban legend, once you go nuke you can never get out of it.  The only exceptions I have seen is when MAA was tripling its numbers and were allowing nukes to cross over, and NC which means you will be a nuke recruiter for life or something to that same manner.  Otherwise once an nuke, always a nuke(yes even in civ life your nuke tendencies will show). 

withroaj

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 11:07 »
Otherwise once an nuke, always a nuke(yes even in civ life your nuke tendencies will show). 

Does that mean drinking Yoo-Hoo and playing World of Warcraft?

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2008, 11:52 »
This is a little off the nuke topic but towards the end of my enlistment they spec ops(SEALs) program had come up with the "SEAL challenge" program that basically said if you failed out of BUDs then had to send you to the A school that you wanted when you came in.  Apparently back in the day, if you went SEAL and failed out then they sent you whereever they wanted to.  Now you get to pick what job you want to do just in case you fail out and they have to send you to that school.  At least I think that is how it works. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?