Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Any experiences with the Navy finding out about un-disclosed criminal records?

Author Topic: Any experiences with the Navy finding out about un-disclosed criminal records?  (Read 43278 times)

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
no no no lol. I told him straight up to report it before you guys jumped down my butt. I dont have a skewed vision of ethics -.- I was wondering if he did something small and stupid like smoking pot at a going away party or something like that. (I had a friend join the Air Force, and he stood up during the moment of truth and told them he smoked weed at a new years party, and they freaking kicked him out!) I didnt want to see someone give up a future becuase they were "young and dumb" once.

The problem with NOT admitting as your friend did, is that for certain types of clearances, such as a DOE "Q" clearance, you will have somebody tracking down your old buddies and asking them about you. I have intimate knowledge with this as I had people I had not seen or talked to in 30+ years quizzed about my actions in days of yore :-X. No matter what ADMIT IT UP FRONT!
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

gman82

Wow this thread got pretty heated  :o Thanks for everyones posts  ;D

Cycoticpenguin

The problem with NOT admitting as your friend did, is that for certain types of clearances, such as a DOE "Q" clearance, you will have somebody tracking down your old buddies and asking them about you. I have intimate knowledge with this as I had people I had not seen or talked to in 30+ years quizzed about my actions in days of yore :-X. No matter what ADMIT IT UP FRONT!

hmm. Fair argument there.

PSUNittanyLions

First post here.

This thread piqued my interest because I find myself in a similar dilemma.

After I went through MEPS to DEP in, I got a speeding ticket.  My driving record was not clean to begin with, but this was the first blemish on my NC license.  As you probably know, every time you show up at a monthly DEP meeting, you fill out a form asking if you had done drugs, had any police interaction, been to court, gotten anyone pregnant, etc.  I had gone to courtfor this ticket, requested, and was granted a "Prayer for Judgement" which, from my understanding, basically gets you out of one ticket every three years as long as you pay the court costs (the majority of the ticket).  This keeps the ticket off of your driving record and does not affect your insurance.  Now I also understand that there isn't anything on your driving record that the Navy cannot see, regardless of whether or not the court says an item was removed or hidden.

That said, when I filled out my DEP sheet, I did not mention my encounter with the officer, or my visit to the courthouse.  To be 100% honest, I forgot.  However, at the following meeting, I knowingly lied on my DEP sheet, and still did not mention the violation, simply because I was being a wuss.

I am in no way debating NOT disclosing this to my recruiter, in fact I have told him that I want to speak with him in private before our next meeting.  I am, however, wondering if those two false DEP sheets will affect me, even after I come clean.

Thanks in advance.

mlslstephens

However, at the following meeting, I knowingly lied on my DEP sheet, and still did not mention the violation, simply because I was being a wuss.

Not a good way to start regardless of how small you think the issue is.

I am, however, wondering if those two false DEP sheets will affect me, even after I come clean.
I think it already has. :-\

PSUNittanyLions

Not a good way to start regardless of how small you think the issue is.

I realize this.

I think it already has. :-\

With all due respect, this tells me effectively nothing.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Great Scott!!!!!!!!!!

Tell the truth already.  Tell your recruiter you got a ticket.  Now!!!

Do the right thing.  A ticket ain't a big deal.

If your willing to lie about a simple speeding ticket...what else are you going to be willing to lie about in the future????
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

PSUNittanyLions

You're right, I don't know why I didn't just say something as soon as I remember, it was stupid.  I guess I was just freaked out about the possibility of losing this huge oppurtunity.

Thanks, guys!  I look forward to frequenting this forum.

mlslstephens

I realize this.

PSUNittanyLions, here is what I meant by "I think it already has" comment.  The people who make up the USN come from every walk of life with many different views on honesty and integrity.  Some people would never even consider telling the recruiter "little things" and when confronted wonder what the big deal is.  Well, obviously, you get it.  After remembering about the ticket, there was this little voice in your head that wondered about your level of integrity.  Just wondering means that you were affected and probably, the next time something like this comes up, you will be quick to "remember" anything that might be of importance.  That is all I meant about the comment.  Good luck with your private conversation.  :)

PSUNittanyLions

PSUNittanyLions, here is what I meant by "I think it already has" comment.  The people who make up the USN come from every walk of life with many different views on honesty and integrity.  Some people would never even consider telling the recruiter "little things" and when confronted wonder what the big deal is.  Well, obviously, you get it.  After remembering about the ticket, there was this little voice in your head that wondered about your level of integrity.  Just wondering means that you were affected and probably, the next time something like this comes up, you will be quick to "remember" anything that might be of importance.  That is all I meant about the comment.  Good luck with your private conversation.  :)

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.  I apologize for coming off harshly.

Thanks!!

Cycoticpenguin

I realize this.

simply put, you are not in the navy yet. so no. It shouldnt do anything to you.  Navy doesnt truly care about speeding tickets (unless its 50 over, reckless driving etc). We care about your ability to safely operate a nuclear reactor plant, and your ability to make the right choices. a speeding ticket is something really stupid to lie about.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?