Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Do MIT courses = SRO Training prep?

Author Topic: Do MIT courses = SRO Training prep?  (Read 8068 times)

B.PRESGROVE

Do MIT courses = SRO Training prep?
« on: Feb 11, 2008, 03:41 »
 ??? Just a question about the MIT courses that I found out about here.  I have been studying some of them and about to really dig in and get to work for my own personal knowledge.  Would it be safe to say that these courses would be good studying for a future SRO position that may come available.  I know they dont count for credit towards, but just the knowledge you get from them has to count for something.

Fermi2

Re: Do MIT courses = SRO Training prep?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:47 »
No they won't help you at all.

Mike

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2008, 07:02 »
Ok, then the next question begs to be asked, why?  ???

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2008, 07:22 »
Because they

1: Don't teach plant unique systems
2: Plant system failure mechanisms.
3: Admin procedures.
4: Plant Abnormal Operating Procedures
5: Plant Emergency Operating Procedures.
6: Plant Radiological Procedures.
7: Judgement
8: Plant Alarm Procedures
9: Plant General Operating/Integrated Procedures.
10: Plant Clearance Procedures
11: Conduct Of Operations Procedures.

I can list about 100 other items if you'd like.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2008, 10:49 »
??? Just a question about the MIT courses that I found out about here.  I have been studying some of them and about to really dig in and get to work for my own personal knowledge.  Would it be safe to say that these courses would be good studying for a future SRO position that may come available.  I know they dont count for credit towards, but just the knowledge you get from them has to count for something.

I know the MIT courses you speak of, and having just completed general fundamentals and systems training at one plant, and starting at another, I can tell you they have nothing to do with anything you learn in or need to know for licensing class. Is the information still useful? You bet, if you are going for a degree or another line of work for which the course content is relevant. I like reading that stuff too just for my on personal benefit. But again, they were of no direct use in my SRO studies. If you really want to prepare for a future SRO class, which I am not sure you really need to do, then I would find some general fundamentals notes online covering the type of plant you will be on (BWR/PWR) and read those, or get on the NRC website and start reading the general fundamentals exam bank. As far as systems and procedures... the stuff which in my opinion, you really need to know... well that is dependent on the specific plant. If you are where you might be going into class someday, then start walking down systems and following NLOs around on rounds, and reading procedures.

Justin

Justin

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2008, 11:29 »
those courses are just notes for the most part.  They don't replace and are not intended to replace, the actual course.  To do that:

You need the book.
You need to go to class to which the notes are based.
You need go to the class workshops.
You need the labs.
You need to do the homework.
You need to do the project.
You need to work in the study groups.
And, most importantly, you need to pull all nighters to make sure you score in the top half of the other propeller heads.

Already pointed out, engineering (theory/design) is much different then SRO (operatational/maintenance/admin).  MIT is not interesting in getting students ready for an SRO class.  Until recently, there has not been any demand. 
See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2008, 06:49 »
Hey thanks fellas, that answers my question.  I'll just read them for my own benefit and get my hands dirty on the rest.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?