Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Controlled Burns of Vegatation near nuclear facilities honeypot

Author Topic: Controlled Burns of Vegatation near nuclear facilities  (Read 9649 times)

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Hello from Snelling SC which borders the DOE facility of the Savannah River Site. Once again it is burn season here and the smoke today was horrible. In my time traveling (34 years) to various nuclear plants including a couple of other DOE facilities I have never seen so much control burning as they do here.

Is this a common practice in your area and what do you think of it. While I know this really doesn't relate to the nuclear industry it is a huge problem for many of us that live around this site.

Cathy

Re: Controlled Burns of Vegatation near nuclear facilities
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:27 »
Maybe Los Alamos should have done a few of those controlled burns years ago or was that what started the Los Alamos fires a few years ago?

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2008, 12:23 »
Having worked out there for several years I can understand where you are coming from.  Those burns though do serve a very vital roll in keeping the vegitation down, considering the site is the size of New York City and dry as a bone right now.  They also help to curtail the animal population and bugs (which even though they burn alot of land those nuke little critters can live through anything).

shovelheadred

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2008, 08:18 »
..Camella, having lived in SC most of my life, and now living in the sandhills, yes this is a common practice,,especially, the timber country where I live...it removes the underbrush, so the pine needle raking people can get at their needles easier,,,and also removes fuel for fires that would use this brush as fuel...I myself have done this on my property,,,some individuals burn their grass, which if you have centipede or zoysia is a mistake, as they are top ground grasses with very little root beneath the ground,,raking the dead grass is a better idea...there may be other reasons, but this is my experience.....

number41

« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2008, 09:57 »
Camella, I was at Vogtle last week, and I agree.  The smoke out there was horrible!  I didn't realize that it was necessarily controlled burning though, because I saw lots of small fires and smoke, but not a single fire control/fire department person. :-\

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2008, 12:11 »
keeps da kudzu in control.....    ;)
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

number41

« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2008, 01:01 »
SloGlo, good thing you threw the winky/winky on there...........anybody from SC/NC/GA knows there's NOTHING you can do to stop the kudzu!!!! ;D

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2008, 01:21 »
Nothing short of goats.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2008, 08:23 »
SloGlo, good thing you threw the winky/winky on there...........anybody from SC/NC/GA knows there's NOTHING you can do to stop the kudzu!!!! ;D

aye tink da onliest weigh yinz kin git control of kudzu is to publish a reseepee four making whine frum it.  ya cood make monee offa it iffen ya fingered aught a whey two use it fer biodiesel err anudder alturnetiv fool.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2008, 12:11 »
though off topic, I love the idea of making wine from kudzu. heck in other countries they eat the stuff!. I have seen baskets woven out of it and know that it can be baled for fodder.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2008, 12:11 »
Camella, I was at Vogtle last week, and I agree.  The smoke out there was horrible!  I didn't realize that it was necessarily controlled burning though, because I saw lots of small fires and smoke, but not a single fire control/fire department person. :-\

I know  :(

shovelheadred

« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2008, 06:33 »
...Union,SC,,has the Kudzu Festival, they eat it,,,and have a Kudzu Good time

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?