Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Service in Guam honeypot

Author Topic: Service in Guam  (Read 14982 times)

AustinSSN713

Service in Guam
« on: Feb 15, 2008, 05:31 »
First off this website was an invaluable source of information in many of my decisions starting with my decision to go navy nuke.  My question is whether or not there is anyone out there who served in Guam?  Any little bits of advice?  What to expect?  Also how long is a Guam tour, even in terms of going to an MTS or NY, or another shore billet?  I am an ELT going to the USS Houston by the way if that influences any responses.  Any words of wisdom or bits of information would be awesome.  Thank you.
-Austin

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Service in Guam
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2008, 06:49 »
A guy just checked in here from Corpus Christi.  I'll get the low down from him and have him e-mail you if you drop me an e-mail.

emcsmurray
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Melrose

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2008, 04:30 »
Hey man,   Can't say that I served on Guam.  I did live there for a few years in the early 70s.  Had to be the time there.  No hotels or motels... the beaches were empty except for the occasional native family homesteading as much as they could take care of, raising rabbits of all things as a crop.  You'll love the reefs when the tide goes out.  You can walk some serious distance out.  Crevices to dive in, holes to explore.
Bunkers were still on the beaches.  A few fuselages out in the reef. 
My brother and I picked up alot of grenades friend and foe.  Much to the dismay of our parents.
Found a mine on the the beach, met alot of firemen(disposal guys) that day.
Went to the local school, as there wasn't one on base.  Very interesting curriculum...
Could drive the island in no time, dodging all the water buffalo and farmers.
I could go on and on,
But alas, those days are over.  Japanese tourism Moguls have taken over.  Natives don't care much for the USA, and I'm sure beaches aren't so available.

Hope you have a good time regardless.

taterhead

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2008, 06:59 »
Guam= Tree Snakes + Strip Bars + Snokeling/Scuba

A fun port visit for a day or two, but I have never lived there.

PS. I think the snakes may be dying off, as they have eaten all the birds and are now starving...

withroaj

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2008, 10:02 »
Oh, man.  Going to Guam, huh?

Never been stationed there, but I've spent enough time there.  It's pretty warm there; only place I've been hotter than that was the Panama Canal.  Pretty humid, too.

The H-Town, from what I understand, is a pretty good boat.  A buddy of mine from the pipeline is there (though I can't vouch for his abilities as an M-Divver he's a good guy).  Also, I'm pretty sure the old SUBRON 3 LELT is the new LELT there.  Let's just call him MMC T.  If he is the guy there you are in luck.  He was AWESOME  as the Squadron ELT.  If a boat had a problem he didn't write it in his notebook and inform the CoC, he would actively work with the crew to overcome it.  With that as his approach as SQELT I would follow him to hell and back as the LELT on a boat.  I really can't say enough good about the guy.  If he is on the boat, tell him one of the ELT's from the LOUISVILLE said what's up.

I sure hope you like boobies, though.  That's just about all Guam has unless you take the time to get SCUBA certified (do yourself the favor and get certified, you'll save money).  Enjoy.

LDO4CNO

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2008, 09:40 »
Guam is way underrated!
I did a tour there, and am delighted that the family and I got to experience it.  It gets its share of bad press and much of it is true, but….it has so much going for it!
The good
1.    New and impressive “HORSE AND COW”
2.   Plentiful and affordable evening entertainment
3.   History is everywhere and overwhelming.
4.   84 degree seawater year-round.
5.   Cheapest sushi and sashimi on the planet.
6.   Asian Tourism is thriving and the associated bars/restraints etc reflect it.
7.   DIVING is the cheapest on the planet!  (More to follow)
8.   TRUK lagoon is a 1 hour flight.
9.   SAIPAN and associated history are <1 hour.
10.   PALAU is cheap and a 2 hour flight.
11.   AUSTRALIA is 4-5 hour flight and cheap.
12.   Jetski all year.
13.   Watersports.
14.   Catch yellowfin and make your own tuna steaks daily.
15.   Adventure races / Triathlons / Marathons/ all year.
16.   A 5K every weekend.  For $5 you run a different 5K every week.
17.   A commissary and Exchange that Rival Norfolks and Pearls.
The BAD.
1.   The rainy season.
2.   The humidity. 
3.   Lack of conveniences. (Limited shopping etc)
4.   7 hour flight to PH and 12 hour flight to LA.
5.   Typhoons.
6.   Electric bills.
7.   Scrawny scruffy washed out fighting cocks all over the island. 
8.   Boonie Dogs.

You will find the base to be nice.  Take up diving immediately! Only after watching the mandatory water safety video though.  The Oceans and currents there are dangerous until understood.   You will never get certified anywhere cheaper.  Get advanced open water ASAP.  You will find tank rental is practically free, beach dives are everywhere.  In fact the base has some of the best beach diving on island.  Boat dives are really cheap since the reef is right there.  Make it a goal to dive PALAU in the first year.  Plan a trip to CAIRNS AUS and dive the Great Barrier Reef.  Continental Airlines practically gives away the trips. 

Tree snakes are way overrated, once a major problem, they amount to a nuisance anymore.  Run the GEAR race once while you are there. (GEAR-Guam Extreme Adventure Race).  Go on a boonie stomp.  Kayaking is cheap and plentiful.  Check out www.tourofduty.com these guys are legitimate.  IF you have a family and want to live in town, consider Laderra towers, Nimitz towers, Alupang Towers, or Leos Palace.  You will NEVER get Oceanside living so affordable.   Base housing is also a great deal.  Single lifestyle is fun for the sailors there.

Houston is a good boat, and has a great Engineering dept.  Tours are three years for most Nucs, and the Nucs work hard on those boats.  The boats do a lot of underway time.  You will work hard there, keep your chin up and enjoy the experience.  Make the best of Guam and you will have great memories.  Good Luck! 

Chuman

« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2008, 01:55 »
got orders to the uss buffalo there, report there in about a week.

was just wondering if there is actually any decent surfing on the island at all and hows the golfing there?

withroaj

« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2008, 08:02 »
I thought the Buffalo was in Pearl.  At least it was when I left there Jan07.

Chuman

« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2008, 12:40 »
I thought the Buffalo was in Pearl.  At least it was when I left there Jan07.

yeah it was, it just moved to guam not to long ago

LDO4CNO

« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2008, 03:06 »
CHUMAN, there is plenty of golf there.  The navy course is good enough, and the current COMNAVMAR Admiral is a big supporter, so they get their share of his support.    The Japanese tourists are big golfers, so the island supports several good courses.  Several of the courses are on or adjacent to the Oceans and offer breathtaking views, including the one on the Airbase.  You will certainly enjoy the course at Leo Palace. 

Surfing on the Island is not as popular.  There are a few surfers and depending on the weather there is some surfing.  The reef adds enough challenges to make it difficult though.  There is certainly some surfing to be had though.  Good Luck and enjoy your tour.  When you get to the Buffalo, tell your COB I said Hi.

JB

Chuman

« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2008, 06:06 »
good deal, surfing on the island not popular sounds good, little less people to be around more surf for me. For golf, sounds pretty exciting, ive always golfed on the cheap golf courses this will probably be different

Well I leave in about a week, been trying to figure out how to contact for assistance in relocating, like where i need to go and what i need to do for housing (assume im gonna be in barracks, single mm3) was given a number for the uss buffalo back in prototype but i got a hawaii number thats out of service.

I got a plane ticket and everything im all set to go there, just dont know what to do when i get there yet. I arrive at 1:00 AM so i figure im gonna need to get a room for the night.

Any advice on who to call/ what to do when i first get there? thanks

LDO4CNO

« Reply #11 on: Jun 09, 2008, 09:53 »
Shipmate, see my PM for the contact info.  Call the Numbers I give you and if you dont get the help you need let me know. I will ensure they meet you at the airport.  Have a great trip! 

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Jun 09, 2008, 10:44 »
Shipmate, see my PM for the contact info.  Call the Numbers I give you and if you dont get the help you need let me know. I will ensure they meet you at the airport.  Have a great trip! 

That is dang decent of you. I award thee 124.689875588 BZ Points.

Mike

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2008, 12:03 »

That is dang decent of you. I award thee 124.689875588 BZ Points.

Mike

They have a tinny sound, like leftover change from the Phillippines ;)

Chuman

« Reply #14 on: Jun 10, 2008, 02:57 »

thanks for the numbers! gave em a call and i guess theres already a guy thats supposed to meet me at the airport, sweet deal and a lot easier than i thought it would be.

ill make sure to tell the cob you said hi,
well as for now im gonna enjoy the rest of my leave, thanks again!
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2008, 03:04 by Chuman »

LDO4CNO

« Reply #15 on: Jun 10, 2008, 06:28 »
Thanks all, I am off to spend my BZ points.  I hope not to spend them all in the same place.

Chuman

« Reply #16 on: Jun 13, 2008, 03:06 »
so i leave 2 days from now

navy uniform regs says this "When traveling on leave, TAD or transfer,
Service Dress Blue may be worn during any season."

ha problem is i shipped that off with my household goods and all i got is a set of dress whites, think it would be alright to travel and check in wearing service dress white uniform?

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #17 on: Jun 13, 2008, 03:28 »
Be careful flying in uniform.  There are a lot of people that look for guys in uniform for various reasons.  Some want to scam you, some even want to cause you harm.  There might be a Nav Message somewhere that says whether or not you should fly in uniform to Guam. 

That being said, sometimes there are really great people out there that appreciate what you do and will offer to buy your dinner or a drink(assuming you are 21) because you are in uniform.  Sadly there are people who are just as likely to throw buckets of red paint on you to symbolize all the "blood that has been spilled by innocents by this unjust war(not my words, nor my opinion)."  Just call ahead to your command and see if there is something that you might not know. 

Summer white would probably be better than blues, just because it is Guam and we don't need a sailor falling out because he was wearing 100% wool to a tropical island. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

stownsend

« Reply #18 on: Jun 13, 2008, 04:06 »
Thanks all, I am off to spend my BZ points.  I hope not to spend them all in the same place.

There worth a beer in my neck of the woods ,any time.

withroaj

« Reply #19 on: Jun 13, 2008, 04:19 »
Oh, don't worry. I don't think anyone will mind you wearing whites. It's GUAM. 90 degrees plus all the time. Feels like 1000.

LDO4CNO

« Reply #20 on: Jun 14, 2008, 06:47 »
Be careful flying in uniform. 

Chuman,  check your oders, I think they may tell you to fly in "Appropriate Civilian Attire".  If not, call CSS-15 back and ask them.  Unless things have recently changed, you will most lilkely be expected in Civies.  Your flight may be going through Narita Japan, and if not you may get rerouted through there.  There is only one flight a day from Hawaii, and the rest originate from Japan.  As a general rule, we do not ask servicemenbers to travel intenationallly in uniform.   It is just too risky.  Good Luck.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #21 on: Jun 14, 2008, 11:23 »
Chuman,  check your oders, I think they may tell you to fly in "Appropriate Civilian Attire".  If not, call CSS-15 back and ask them.  Unless things have recently changed, you will most lilkely be expected in Civies.  Your flight may be going through Narita Japan, and if not you may get rerouted through there.  There is only one flight a day from Hawaii, and the rest originate from Japan.  As a general rule, we do not ask servicemenbers to travel intenationallly in uniform.   It is just too risky.  Good Luck.

Who in the HamSandwich is actually able to read their orders other than "Depart XXXX NST XXXX" and "Arrive XXXX NLT XXXX."  Orders are filled with so much fluff that no one ever sees anything else other than that.  Ok might be going overboard with that but most people don't even notice the thing about "member is authorized to delay reporting by 30 days" usually on page two around the middle. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Ops Nub

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #22 on: Jun 15, 2008, 11:18 »
This is formerly GuamRCT...  I absolutely loved guam, i would have stayed if i could have gotten a good enough civilian job.  There's plenty to do if you like the outdoors. You have to get diver certified to get the full experience. World class diving and a short flight to even better diving.  I was on the Frank Cable not to houston so I won't give you my opinion of the Houston. Just keep an open mind with that.  I recommend living off base so that you can get to know the locals who are the nicest people you will ever meet. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM whenever you want to ask any questions.
Jay

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?