Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Enlisted vs. Officer

Author Topic: Enlisted vs. Officer  (Read 52450 times)

Cycoticpenguin

Re: Enlisted vs. Officer
« Reply #50 on: Mar 10, 2008, 04:42 »
Cycoticpenguin,
I recognize you give advice based on your experiences.  Telling someone to talk to a Chief is the wisest advice you could give; but based on several of your posts in other threads, it appears to me that you asked questions in nukeworker vice talking to your Chief or any Chief on several occasions.  If somebody asks the value of an officer program who can best answer that question:
1. Someone who has taken that route?
2. Someone who has many years of experience working with officers and enlisted in several different work environments?
3. Someone who just finished school and has limited or zero at sea nuclear operator experience?
4. Someone who has no navy nuclear experience whatsoever?
5. Someone who loves the navy?
6. Someone who hates the navy?

My point is if somebody asked a question on transitioning from pipeline to a boat in shipyard, you'd have a fresh, knowledgeable perspective.  If someone asks a question that has ramifications many years from now, who is better?  You can disagree with my recommendations, but I doubt the perspective of someone who's never stood a watch on an operational ship or applied to an officer program adds much value to the discussion.  I wish you nothing but the best, but I stick by my original post. 

I understand. I never thought of it like that. As well, honestly, I come to you guys a lot of the time first, because I know none of you are scared to  give me the straight up, honest answer (not to mention being a chief/officer yourselves). Its a huge reason while I still pester you guys :) That said, I care about my junior shipmates, and I want them to make the best decisions for themselves. For now and the future.

Ranger88

« Reply #51 on: Mar 12, 2008, 12:45 »
Just some observations of the differences while in the Navy and the effect after the Navy from someone who has done both.
-Decide early on to either stay in the Navy 20 years and go as far as you can, Officer if possible or;
-Get out ASAP to start your next career ASAP, If you have a short term goal, EWS? then get it and get out.

Why go Officer?
- Show me the money! After 20 years retiring as a LCDR, CDR, CAPT you will make more money for waking up and breathing each day than your starting salary will be as an unlicensed operator, if this forum is true. Not to mention the medical benefits.  Yes, you should be able to get a better job than a NLO but it appears that starting as a NLO is the gateway to bigger and better things in the commercial field.

Why get out ASAP?
- Staying in longer than your first 6 years will be of little benefit in commercial nuclear power, just read this forum.

As an enlisted nuke EWS I was always frustrated at the incompetence of the JOs standing EOOW. As the EWS you are never really "In-charge".

After getting commissioned as an LDO, I immediately went to a surface ship and qualified/stood EOOW.  One of the few things I did as a JO that gave me some job satisfaction was standing a competent watch as EOOW.  After my first ORSE as EOOW, the CO asked me how I could get the best drill grade on the hardest drill and get the lowest written exam score.
I did not answer, I just shrugged. The truth was that as the newest qualified EOOW I was the sacrificial anode on the written exam. I can't believe I just said that.  But it is the truth just the same.  I can't imagine things have changed much.

I have worked with some really great enlisted people and officers.  The bashing of the leadership abilities of navy people is not justified in my opinion.  I have worked in the civilian world for 2 years and most prior navy nukes are Gods compared to the average idiot walking the street.

So I am trying to decide what I want to do, use my experience to get the best non-nuke job I can, which is the easy way out, and most likely will make bigger cash or;
Start at the bottom of commercial OPS and work my way up. I love OPS, but it is still a tough decision.

"You can never really be happy unless you are good at what you do"

What ever you do, do it to the very best of your ability because it will affect your future, good or bad.

PapaBear765

« Reply #52 on: Mar 14, 2008, 10:05 »
Cycoticpenguin,
Telling someone to talk to a Chief is the wisest advice you could give

Laughing.....10 minutes later, laughing.....

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #53 on: Mar 14, 2008, 06:12 »

Sorry to hear your poor opinion of Chiefs.  Good luck in Civlant.
BTW, your previous bashing of NY NPTU CMC is uncalled for.  He is truly trying to do right by the staff and the program.  Let me reply for you:

Really? Maybe he should tell the crew that.

Justin

PapaBear765

« Reply #54 on: Mar 14, 2008, 09:35 »

I did not answer, I just shrugged. The truth was that as the newest qualified EOOW I was the sacrificial anode on the written exam. I can't believe I just said that.  But it is the truth just the same.  I can't imagine things have changed much.

No they sure haven't changed.  The requirements are still the same: "if exam scores are consistently high, then it's more probable that the exams are too easy and not that the operators know the material."  Maybe it shouldn't be in quotes, I can't remember the exact words but the meaning is exactly accurate.

The sacrificial anodes are habitually used, and they're not the ones from the Supply system.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?