Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The Well Ran Dry..... honeypot

Author Topic: The Well Ran Dry.....  (Read 17187 times)

RAD-GHOST

The Well Ran Dry.....
« on: Feb 28, 2008, 05:14 »
.....of TECHNICIANS!

That seems to be the general consensuses of the contract companies!  Their just aren't any more Technicians to fill the Empty slots!  I believe their out there, but they surely aren't going to budge for a nickle an hour more, or a completion carrot at the end of a one mile stick!  Strangely enough, I believe $35.00 to $40.00 and hour would probably solve a lot of problems!  I could be wrong, been wrong before!   8)

Have a Great Day, RG   

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: The Well Ran Dry.....
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2008, 05:29 »
I believe $35.00 to $40.00 and hour would probably solve a lot of problems!

I agree it would probably prime that pump....  ;)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2008, 05:35 »
Would have to find something new to bitch about, thats for sure.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

remowil55

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2008, 07:23 »
This is a growing problem that the Plants or Contract companies don't  care about fixing. I work an outage a few years ago at a Florida Plant where the average age of the Hp Tech was in the late 50's we had two in there 70's. I recently work an outage at a southern plant where a District Manager or whatever he's called came and gave his were going to do this, that and the other thing speech. When this staffing shortage subject came up. I ask him if he thought someone in there right mind was going to drive half way across the country for no per diem, no travel  and barely above minimum wage to get into this business, his reply "well that's just what they will have to do if they want to get into this business". Great attitude.
Now all the Nuke sites are making noise that there going to build all these new plants. Right! Who's going to run them ? If they started digging today, you wouldn't see a working on line plant for 10 years. How long does it take to train an SRO, or Plant Operator ? All the new plants that are on the drawing board are nothing like the ones running today. All your nuke sites are cutting jobs, doing buy outs for early retirements. ANO at one time had almost 2000 people running the plant on a daily basis. Now I'd bet there's not 900 out there. 20 and 25 day outages are the norm for most plants. When i first got into this business you could bank on 8 to 10 weeks easy. A lot of people have left this business or gone house or DOE  because two 4 week outages are not enough to live on, besides the fact of no insurance  and no retirement other than death. R
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2008, 11:31 by Remo Williams »

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2008, 10:55 »
Its not just the contractors that are aging.  Within 5 years more than half of house HP's here will be retirement eligible or already gone.  No hint of managment doing anything to look ahead.  In fact they wont seem to do anything to fill the already open slots.  Add to the fact that none of our wages (house or contract) have done anything like kept up with inflation over last 20 years or so.  Its going to be tough everywhere to staff.  I keep hoping to make it long enough to see the money gets better but I'm losing hope
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2008, 05:14 »
yinz makkit $35-40 par our, 'n eye mite git back in.  aye say mite, cause eye ain't sure even that wood be viable.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2008, 04:59 »
You just never know......Slo!

RG

duke99301

« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2008, 03:44 »
Call the Hall they make more!

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2008, 05:47 »
If you pay them WELL they WILL come.

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2008, 05:56 »
No ticketee, no washee, no diem, no see-em.

Its all about the money, I have trouble understanding management reluctant to up the pay, I suppose the CEOs figure why should they care so long as their multi-million bonus packages keep coming.
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2008, 12:44 »
This is the only way that pay will increase.  The plants need to feel the squeeze of not having enough techs.  As to the building of more plants......That should help us even more.  :) Those who pay will staff those that don't wont.   

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2008, 04:23 »
As to the building of more plants......That should help us even more. 

Way to look 10 years down the road. Haven't some of the plants been pooling their house techs for some time now, in effect treating their house techs like rent-a-techs? Or, just doing direct hires and bringing in temps? Either way, some utilities are doing an end run around the contract companies

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2008, 03:43 »
Yes, some utilities have been pooling their resources for years, hiring their own temp work force and as of this year....posting for perminent staff in masses!

I'd have to guestimate about 50 RP type perminent positions over the past three months!

Either way, some utilities are doing an end run around the contract companies

Is there a negative aspect to that statement?    :-\

RG

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2008, 06:10 »

Is there a negative aspect to that statement?    :-\

The only negative aspect is those of us who are required to support the Sharing of Resources.  I don't mind volunteering, heck I was on the road for too long not to get an itch to see other sites now and then, but it is a requirement in our reviews to go when designated.  Doesn't happen often, but the gorilla is there.

That said, we get fleet qualified techs that require little to no training, most walk right in and get right to work.  We don't lose the week or two to train non returnee contractors.  Can't staff the entire outage like that, but it makes up for the lack of techs (most go to better paying outages).  I don't think the well is dry, though, we still manage to have enough folks every outage.
Is it time for coffee yet?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2008, 09:21 »
The only negative aspect is those of us who are required to support the Sharing of Resources.  I don't mind volunteering, heck I was on the road for too long not to get an itch to see other sites now and then, but it is a requirement in our reviews to go when designated.  Doesn't happen often, but the gorilla is there.

That said, we get fleet qualified techs that require little to no training, most walk right in and get right to work.  We don't lose the week or two to train non returnee contractors.  Can't staff the entire outage like that, but it makes up for the lack of techs (most go to better paying outages).  I don't think the well is dry, though, we still manage to have enough folks every outage.
Luckily shared resources are not mandatory for us...  :)
I don't wanna do my own outage, let alone somebody elses..... ;D
It is nice when the shared guys come in and hit the ground running though.... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2008, 09:07 »
You know Im 38 and got into the industry kinda late in life, around 31, and can honestly say that we are in real trouble.  Not just in the nuke industry, but all round.  I took a in between job till I get on with someone and even this little job I have is havin trouble fillin with people. 

I think the companies are going to have to come off the money or they wont get the manpower to keep going.  The next generation comin up has been fed the line, "Hey the company isnt loyal to you so why be loyal to them?"  :-\  What a shame that we have fostered that kinda mentality, and work environment.  I watched my dad move us at least every 2 years (except for TMI that was 5 years) because the grass was greener on the other side.   :-\

Offline AMU

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2008, 11:00 »
I left the business because it was no longer convenient for me to travel, short outages, etc.  I also transitioned into the IT field as a contractor and in my case have found that the money is considerably better and I go home every night.  For me it was just a matter of changing careers to something more suitable for my career interests. 

From the contacts I regularly maintain, it would seem tech rates need to be addressed for the shortened schedules that are reality in power plant world.  I can certainly understand a person not wanting to work an outage if the money made at home in some other occupation is steady and comparable to what techs would make during an outage, corrected for expenses and such.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?