Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Job interview today honeypot

Author Topic: Job interview today  (Read 7898 times)

Ranger88

Job interview today
« on: Mar 07, 2008, 11:55 »
Its been awhile since I posted here.  I have a phone interview with Millstone for a Nuclear Plant Equipment Operator position.  I think this will be my chance to get my foot in the door.  I always enjoyed operating eqp.  Any last minute advice?

Thanks,

David
ex navy nuke, LDO

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Job interview today
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2008, 12:36 »
Just wanted to say good luck to you.   :)  I do not know their interview technique there so I don't know of any advice to give you. 

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2008, 01:19 »
Good luck! Smile and don't say stuff like "yeah" say yes and no. And have questions when they ask you if you have any questions. And know something about the plant.

Justin

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2008, 02:42 »
Do you know anything about the plant? The operating company?  Look up a few details before talking to the recruiter.  Be positive, talk about you resume.  The recruiter is looking for upbeat people (usually) in the screening process.  Don't fabricate anything.  Make him/her believe you want to work there.  Remember, the recruiter usually doesn't know anything about the job other than what is written in a job description in front of them.  If you impress them, the resume gets sent on to the hiring manager or supervisor.  Then the real qustions begin.......
Is it time for coffee yet?

Ranger88

Re: Job interview today, its over
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2008, 02:50 »
Well the interview is over :).  This was my first phone interview, seems much easier in person.  Interviewer said they were looking to hire about 10 people.  I should here something in about 2-3 weeks.  All in all I think I did OK.

Thanks for the advice.

David

taterhead

« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2008, 03:23 »
I got a call from Entergy this morning, they are looking to fill a summer class at Waterford 3 (New Orleans area).  If anyone wants the recruiter's direct desk number, I will oblige via PM.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2008, 05:20 »
Hey, if you need any help let me know.

As for me, I just signed a three year retention agreement so I'm not going anywhere!

Ranger88

« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2008, 07:02 »
Broadzilla/Mike?

Thanks for the "help offer".  I don't know enough to know if I need help, which is what a non-qual nub (me) would say if he new anything at all.  I read some of your past posts, i was in nuc sch class 8401, an MM for almost 11 years, LDO for 12,  I understand commercial power is a different deal.  I always liked OPS better the anything, I am older than most persuing the OPS career path and plan to work 15 years or so on this second career.  Do you think this is a good plan? Do you have any suggestions?  

Thanks
David

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2008, 11:11 »
Sure. Go Ops. I'm not certain how old you were when you entered the Navy but my guess is you aren't much over 45. Go the NLO route if you believe you can physically handle the job. It's fun and pays very well. My advice on future licensing is take it with a grain of salt. I say that because I got my third license from the time I was 43 till I was almost 46 years old. It was extremely exhausting to do it at that age and remember I had licensed before so I knew a few shortcuts.
Guys much older than you are doing NLO Jobs.

Here's what I would look for at the interview.

1: Why do you want to work for us?

2: Tell us something you do well and why do you feel you do it well?

3: Tell us how you made a team or group better?

4: Tell us about something you did not or do not do well? What are you doing to improve it?

5: This is a BIGGIE!! You are about to start a job and your Boss tells you he wants you to do it a certain way because it's faster or in a week the procedure is going to be changed to do it the new way, what are you going to do?

6: You see a fellow co worker doing something incorrectly, what do you do?

Most the larger companies ask these sorts of questions or some derivative of this question family.

Mike

navytwinmom

« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2008, 11:58 »
great list Mike. i also do interviews for my company and that is pretty much my list to....pretty univeral questions to help you get a feel for a person. of course each job will have its own specility stuff but this is a good list for anyone to have answers to that are thought out and prepared with just enough speicility stuff throw in to make it sound good

Ranger88

« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2008, 08:18 »
Mike,

Thansk again,

I think I'll go for it, I just have to give them 2 weeks to call me or I'll call them.

David

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2008, 09:50 »
Don't wait two weeks. Start bugging them as soon as you can.

Mike

davisclay9370

« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2008, 10:34 »
if you have a phone interview    use a landline so you dont get cut off  there is nothing more annoying than that when you are talking than the old   "hello hello hello "   so good luck.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?