Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Just took the POSS/MASS/BMST, a reflection honeypot

Author Topic: Just took the POSS/MASS/BMST, a reflection  (Read 314686 times)

Fermi2

Re: Just took the Poss Mass Test
« Reply #125 on: Oct 08, 2009, 01:22 »
Guess is a 50/50 chance?
This is better than leaving them blank and doing the ones you know first, then finishing what you can on the rest as time allows?
There are to many conflicting opinions on wheather to guess or not to guess? Confuses people on what to do. It would be nice if someone out there who gives and grades the Poss Mass would chime in and let us all know the truth, on if we should guess or not guess on the questions.

Ok darn. I hate that it's come to this but I have officially revoked your privileges to pump your own gas as you've proven yourself too ignorant to do so. If you had DONE your research you'd find I HAVE administered and GRADED the damn test.

B.PRESGROVE, I believe that is the path to an NLO job at Southern. Good luck my friend. If you need any help let me know. Use me as a reference!

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #126 on: Oct 11, 2009, 02:55 »
Hey thanks I just might take you up on that.  Been looking over some of the stuff for the POSS, but it is the same thing as the last time I took it and passed so no real worry here.  I also just finished getting my nuclear pharmacy technician cert. which was alot of math (half-life conversions, volume activity and concentration calculations, decay factoring, isotope decay charting on periodic table, things like that)   and medical deifinitions, alot of reading comprehension.  So feel pretty good about the test.

jacqui

« Reply #127 on: Jan 11, 2010, 09:46 »
Hey Guy's,

I also just took the POSS test this Friday, got the results Monday that I did not pass  :'(.

Now I'm not being cocky but I know for a fact that on the entire test I answered a maximum of 6 questions wrong. The only section I completed was the mechanical section. On the first math section I completed 14 of the 20 questions, on the assembly section I completed 11 of the 18 questions, the second "long version" math section I finished approximately 2/3 of it and the reading section I didn't get a chance to answer the last question. The table part I didn't get to the last 10 and on the graph section I finished 17 of the 24 (the graph was hard to see since the people who used the test booklet before me wrote all over it).

From what I have read they are looking for a certain number of questions...Does it sound like I completed enough of them?

Also, the current operator's that I have talked with have said "I've never seen a female operator." They've seen them apply but none have passed the POSS test. Is this true for other plant's?

One last point, do all companies have you wait 6 month's to retake the POSS test?

Thanks y'all,

Jacqui

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #128 on: Jan 11, 2010, 09:50 »
Now I'm not being cocky but I know for a fact that on the entire test I answered a maximum of 6 questions wrong.

Short of watching the test being graded, how would you know that for a fact? The failure would seem to defy your logic.

Fermi2

« Reply #129 on: Jan 11, 2010, 09:53 »
You didn't answer enough questions.

You have no idea how many you missed so please stop insulting us by believing you do.

Yes 6 months is standard.

I've seen plenty of women operators.

Mike

jacqui

« Reply #130 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:15 »
I greatly apologize for insulting you. It was not meant AT ALL!!! I am looking for all the advice I can get. 

I practiced for every night for 2 weeks (that is from the time I was emailed until the day of the test), had other practice tests made... has really crushed me.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to practice? Or should I just give up?
I have been told all 3 of the power plant's in my area is going to be hiring for a while; lots of people retiring.

Fermi2

« Reply #131 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:24 »
Get an ASVAB Study Guide. They usually have 5 to 10 tests in them.

Take test one. Time it.

Take the next test. Give yourself 5 minutes less to complete it.

Then so on. It helps!

Offline PM

• Lurker
« Reply #132 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:04 »
Hello,

Some parts of the test look for natural aptitude.  For spatial relations, either you have it
or you don't.  The assembly portion is either hard or easy you can't study much for
an aptitude you don't really have.  I guess one can practice the comprehension but that
seems like a natural strength too.

Hydrodave mentioned earlier that one should show up with adequate knowledge and a mechanical
background helps with that. 

Debib

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #133 on: Jan 13, 2010, 11:40 »
Hello,

Some parts of the test look for natural aptitude.  For spatial relations, either you have it
or you don't.  The assembly portion is either hard or easy you can't study much for
an aptitude you don't really have.  I guess one can practice the comprehension but that
seems like a natural strength too.

Hydrodave mentioned earlier that one should show up with adequate knowledge and a mechanical
background helps with that. 

Debib

If you practice extensively, at least you won't have any questions about what they are looking for as an answer...and then you can just let let your natural aptitude flow...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline PM

• Lurker
« Reply #134 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:11 »
Hi UncaBuffalo,

That is good idea about practicing.  Going in cold can be pretty tough.  Practicing
can be like warming up the brain. 

Have a good day.

Debib

MikeHamende

My personal account of the POSS test and BMST
« Reply #135 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:07 »
I just took the poss test today.  I passed it and was able to take the BMST and I am now waiting for the results.  I took the long version of the POSS with 46 questions and 17 minutes to do the math section.  the math section was broken into thirds, the first part was conversions, most you can do in your head, if I couldn't do the conversion in my head or with one division or multiplication I skipped it.  There is no sense in spending 2 minutes on one problem when you can do 5 or 6 in that time. The second part of the math test was mostly single variable algebra like 4x/3 +3 =4 then solve for x, I don't remember if there were systems of equations in this part.  The third part was word problems like, "if a man is 4 years older than 4 times the age of his son how old is the son if 5 years from now the sum of their ages is 41". So this part is clearly making a system of equations and solving for the son's age. I was able to solve about 41 of 46 questions but only because I skipped the longer questions.

There was an assembly test that was 20 questions and we had about 8 minutes to finish it.  Some were on par with the practice test and some were a bit harder.  I was able to finish this one with literally 1 second to spare.

The mechanical concepts was I think 40 questions or so and we had 20 minutes minutes to complete it.  Again some of the problems were on par with the practice test and other were a bit harder. I was able to finish this with a few minutes to spare and I looked over some of the trickier problems with that time.

The reading comprehension was about 40 questions and 5 passages, we had 30 minutes to complete it.  This was by far the easiest part of the test and I finished it in about 15 minutes.  I took about 5 minutes to look over the questions again to double check and then just kept rereading the passages so as not to look around the room.  I followed the advice of a previous poster and quickly browsed the questions before I read the passage.

The tables and graphs sections was 2 parts. In the first part you were given a table with one metric on the left column like rpm or something and then something like inches on the top row with some arbitrary values filled in on the rest of the table.  There were 60 problems on the first part and you had 5 minutes to complete it.  There are examples at the beginning of the test so it is very easy to start the test once they say go. I finished about 45 of 60 questions.  The second part was a graph with about 5 or 6 lines on it, the lines were not differentiated in any way so when you find a value you would have to follow the line back to see which one it is.  There were 30 or 40 problems on this test again with about 5 minutes to complete it, I think I finished about 75% of it. 

Out of 12 or so people that I took the POSS with, only 5 passed it and were able to take the BMST.  In order to prepare for the BMST I would recommend reading a chemistry 101 review on the internet, basic physics texts, with an emphasis on different types of mechanical advantages, work and energy, nuclear physics.  Also study geometry, trigonometry, and using trig tables.  I had never used a trig table before the test but it is easy to use.  Also you might try to remember some basic trig identities, and don't forget SOHCAHTOA.  When using the trig table you don't really have to do any interpolation, for an angle like 16.3 degrees just look up 16 and then pick the closest answer from the test. 

That's my personal account, I hope it helps.

MikeHamende

Re: My personal account of the POSS test and BMST
« Reply #136 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:23 »
Also I would recommend memorizing some conversion factors for volume and distance.  And when you go to the test make sure to bring some ibuprofen because your neck will be killing you when you are done.  I had my head down for almost 6 hours over the course of the two tests.

ld5030

« Reply #137 on: Jan 15, 2010, 06:23 »
Which test do H.P techs have to take for utilities like say FP and L?

Thanks

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #138 on: Jan 19, 2010, 04:03 »
Which test do H.P techs have to take for utilities like say FP and L?

Thanks

The technician test is known as the TOSS. From what I understand, it is less stressful than the POSS and about on par with the MASS. I found it pretty easy and had no time to study for it (was asked at 5 o'clock one afternoon if I would take it at 7 o'clock the next morning.)  The important part is not to stress out. But, I am a test geek... I love them. (I know, very strange. It is a sickness without an 800 number to call.)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #139 on: Jan 19, 2010, 07:03 »
The technician test is known as the TOSS. From what I understand, it is less stressful than the POSS and about on par with the MASS. I found it pretty easy and had no time to study for it (was asked at 5 o'clock one afternoon if I would take it at 7 o'clock the next morning.)  The important part is not to stress out. But, I am a test geek... I love them. (I know, very strange. It is a sickness without an 800 number to call.)

I was clueless about the tech test - came in for an interview, was told to take the test first. I think I finished all sections (cold, no study), managed to be nice through the interview, been here 9 yrs... 8)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

mtr1514

Just Took POSS test
« Reply #140 on: Jan 20, 2010, 03:08 »
Hello all.  Just wanted to add my two cents on the POSS test.

I discovered this website too late.  I just took the test and was not recommended.  Contacted the recruiter and he said he couldnt even tell me what sections I failed.

First off, I took the EEI practice tests and did well in time and accuracy.  I even bought some extra practice tests online from this website:

http://www.high-paying-jobs-with-no-college-degree.com/POSStest.html

I was very confident going in but needless to say all of the practice tests were not very indicative of the actual POSS test.  I actually feel misled and was unprepared.  I would have to say I probably failed the Assembly test since I only finished 14 out of 20.  It was alot more challenging than the practice tests.  And I also probably failed the Math test since I super rushed through to answer everyone question.  None of the practice tests were comparable to the long version which had the conversions, algebra and word problems.  I even recall marking a few dreaded "N" answers.  After reading all the posts here, I am amazed on how many people passed with not answering all of the math section.  To remedy my situation, I ordered the Arco book on mechanical aptitude and spatial relations to help with my assembly cognizance.  My plan of attack on the Math section is to be more accurate knowing I dont have to answer the whole section and still pass.  All other sections seemed rather easy to me.

I was devastated at not being recommended at first but I am glad I was able to get my feet wet and see a POSS test.  And though I dont plan to retest with the same company, I will take the test again next month for another utility.  My question now is can I keep quiet about my failed attempt or will the second company know about it?  Ive already been invited to test but had to postpone it until next month since I was already testing for the first utility.  Yes I was lucky enough to be called by two companies and both wanted me tested the same week.  I was just wondering if they might renig if they saw my test score.

Im an ex Navy nuke with a BS degree.  I scored a 99 on the ASVAB when entering the service.  I know I can pass this test but in my opinion it does require a different sort of strategy and preparation.

Any comments or information anyone has to add would be appreciated.  Thank you.

mtr1514

Re: Just Took POSS test
« Reply #141 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:24 »
Received my Arco workbook on mechanical aptitude and spatial relations and I have to agree with everyone that it helps a whole lot.  It's like exercises for your brain synapses and Ive done a whole lot faster on the assembly practice tests.  I'm pretty eager to have at the test again.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #142 on: Jan 28, 2010, 11:29 »
Received my Arco workbook on mechanical aptitude and spatial relations and I have to agree with everyone that it helps a whole lot.  It's like exercises for your brain synapses and Ive done a whole lot faster on the assembly practice tests.  I'm pretty eager to have at the test again.

Exactly!

Hope things go good for you on the next test!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

mtr1514

« Reply #143 on: Feb 20, 2010, 05:27 »
Redemption!  I retook another POSS test, passed and interviewed for another utility.

For the benefit of others taking the POSS test for the first time, this is the strategy I took:

To prepare do not rely solely on the EEI practice test.  Basically it is informative to show you the format of the test but not the true complexity.  From others on this site, I used the ARCO book recommended to help "train my brain" and some standardized test books from the library to practice doing my speed math problems.  Also when taking the test, do all the easy problems first and come back to the ones you passed later.  This ensures maximum questions accurately answered because wrong answers count against you.  I would do this for all sections except the Tables and Graphs section.  That section its best to follow every problem sequentially.  If you look at the practice exam you'll know what I mean.

First time around, I only finished 14 out of 20 assembly questions.  This time I finished all of them with some seconds to spare.  Last time I finished all the math, rushing through just trying to put an answer in every problem because I didnt know better.  This time I skipped all the hard ones and did all the easy ones in my head and came back and attacked the ones I had skipped over.  I didnt get them all this time but that was okay.  The strategy should be quality over quantity.

Thanks to UncaBuffalo for your support.  Anybody feel free to ask any questions about the test and I"ll do my best to try to answer.  This website has helped me tremendously and I'm just trying to give back.  Thank you.

pg1

« Reply #144 on: Feb 21, 2010, 06:34 »
The first time I took my MASS/POSS I only passed the MASS part and failed to meet the minimum requirements.  I was fortunate enough to get a second chance on the 11th, and I just recently found out that I passed.  I took the advice to answer only the questions that I was very sure on, and to become familiar with a few conversions that would make the math sections a litle quicker.  I also ordered a couple of spatial relation books off the internet to offer some more challenging assembly questions than the EEI practice tests give. I also made a trip up to my old high school and borrowed an old algebra book to help on the long math section.  I would like to thank everyone for their advice I am grateful.  The next step is the interview and any advice to help my chances would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 06:43 by pg1 »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #145 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:20 »
The first time I took my MASS/POSS I only passed the MASS part and failed to meet the minimum requirements.  I was fortunate enough to get a second chance on the 11th, and I just recently found out that I passed.  I took the advice to answer only the questions that I was very sure on, and to become familiar with a few conversions that would make the math sections a litle quicker.  I also ordered a couple of spatial relation books off the internet to offer some more challenging assembly questions than the EEI practice tests give. I also made a trip up to my old high school and borrowed an old algebra book to help on the long math section.  I would like to thank everyone for their advice I am grateful.  The next step is the interview and any advice to help my chances would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

What people have said about interview questions:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=17531.0

What people have recommended wearing to your interview:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?topic=21353.0;all
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2010, 08:23 by UncaBuffalo »

pg1

« Reply #146 on: Feb 22, 2010, 12:53 »
Thanks for the response I appreciate it.

Fermi2

« Reply #147 on: Feb 22, 2010, 01:59 »
I never figured out why spatial relations is on either the POSS or the MASS.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #148 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:04 »

So you could visualize the location of the tracking device up your......  ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

mtr1514

« Reply #149 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:37 »

Perhaps it's just another aspect of your aptitude that the industry wants to monitor.  But I can tell you from experience that you can improve your "aptitude" by repetition and exercise.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?