Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Just took the POSS/MASS/BMST, a reflection
honeypot

Author Topic: Just took the POSS/MASS/BMST, a reflection  (Read 314697 times)

Offline Homer S.

• Light User
Re: More reflections on the POSS test
« Reply #175 on: Oct 08, 2010, 02:24 »
Took the POSS/MASS test Wednesday and found out I passed last night. Just wanted to say thanks again to all who contributed great advice.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: More reflections on the POSS test
« Reply #176 on: Oct 09, 2010, 01:03 »
Took the POSS/MASS test Wednesday and found out I passed last night. Just wanted to say thanks again to all who contributed great advice.

Congrats!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Kharyzma21

Re: Another POSS Experience
« Reply #177 on: Nov 04, 2010, 01:05 »
I'm going to be taking the MASS version of this test soon.  I attempted once last year and didn't do so well.  It is definitely frustrating not knowing WHICH sections I faltered in but i think I rushed thru the Assembly section.  I also think paranoia got the best of me.  From what I've gathered it seems with the Nuke Industry, they'd like to see you only have correct answers marked. (i'm new to this site but i'm seeing 11 correct minimum).  I think my interpretation of only answering those you are positive about is "an unsure step can be more detrimental than taking the time to be completely positive of a correct step" Kind of a how likely are you to "Stop when unsure" type of measurement.  But again, that's my opinion.  I hope you did well.  Best of luck to you. I'm praying that I do well this go round!

Buddy

« Reply #178 on: Nov 10, 2010, 10:22 »
Congrats!!!

Offline ceefroe

• Very Lite User
« Reply #179 on: Nov 13, 2010, 11:51 »
Nicely Done, bb.  I have been lurking around this site too, and have definitely found some useful info in prepping for the POSS.  My mentality in taking this test was to work as fast as possible and skip anything that I could not do nearly instantly.  With respect to individual sections, these are my comments:

Assembly:

I had difficulty visualizing about 4 of the questions.  The particular issues I had with said questions were that the shapes were very irregular and the orientation of the finished assembly was dissimilar to the way the individual pieces were displayed.  One tactic I found useful was to isolate a particular piece that had to be placed in a certain place/fashion.  This strategy was useful for the questions that had 2 or 3 answer choices that were similar.

Mechanical:

Common sense physics with a twist.  Some were difficult; most were very straightforward.  I ran through this section and answered all but about 3 on my first pass.  The others I had to think about because I lack both the hands-on background and schooling in subjects like fluid mechanics.  My advice on this section is to know how much time you have per question and budget accordingly.  You should be able to tell within about 2 seconds if you understand the concept or not.  Move on to a question you know and  backtrack if time permits.

Tables/Graphs:

The answers are in front of you.  Spot them quickly and fill in as fast as you can.  The graph section required some care because some of the graphs overlapped near the question value on the x-axis.  Although I didn't use one, maybe using your scratch paper as a straight edge would help.  I would not recommend a straight edge on the table section as IMO you will sacrifice too much time.  I answered about 45/60 in the table section and about 70-80% of the graphs.

Reading:

I had to reread to answer a few, but crossed the finish line with about 5 minutes to spare.  The longest passage we had was about 4 paragraphs, and the passages are well-organized so it is fairly simple to locate the ones you don't remember.

Math:

My strategy:
Do all single conversions and only doubles(+) that are nice and clean.  I got bogged down on converting bushels to the speed of light or some such nonsense for a second, but dodged the bullet by moving on to the algebra section.  There were only 2 or 3 conversions that required a lot of work.  I finished all of the algebra questions and did about half of the word problems. In retrospect I wish I had done these 2 sections first, because I killed my time on one of the conversions (wasted about 25 seconds and didn't even answer it).

I prepped for the test by reviewing the suggested EEI practice material. I did the tests and checked my answers when I was first notified that I would be taking the test.  About 3 days before the test date I did the practice tests again.  I did not time myself either time (which I think would've helped me in the sections I did not finish).  I would recommend it to get yourself adjusted to the hustle.  The majority of the questions are not hard, but some require a little more thought/scratchwork than you would expect from the relative ease of the practice material.  If one were inclined to time themselves taking the practice tests it might be beneficial to deliberately short yourself on time to figure in the extra 10-15 seconds for the tricky questions.

I also passed and am hoping to hear back soon for an interview. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this site- I am a prospective newcomer to the industry, and I feel that the stories posted on this site will reduce the shellshock when I (hopefully) make the leap from commercial electrical engineering to the world of the nuke.

Also, go Pacquiao!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #180 on: Nov 18, 2010, 11:50 »
very good post imo. Extremely accurate :) 

I finished every section except the math section. I Was FURIOUS when the lady called time that  I didnt have it finished :(  turned out ok though haha

Offline Tigervision

• Light User
My POSS experience :(
« Reply #181 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:31 »
I took the POSS test yesterday for Entergy. There is no doubt in my mind that I did great on all parts except for the math!! I started on unit conversions. I did a few until I got to one that need a double conversion. Then I skipped the rest of the unit conversion and went to algebra. I completed all the algebra but that's it. The time expired! I was pissed! I know for the most part that the problems I did complete was pretty much right. I've been reading that I need to get 11 correct and if that's the case I should have no problem but I think I didn't answer enough to get my test graded. Can you guys please let me know what you think! By the way I'll found out tomorrow how I did!!  :D

JustinHEMI05

Re: My POSS experience :(
« Reply #182 on: Dec 01, 2010, 12:08 »
Don't sweat the time expiring. I don't think you are meant to actually finish it. I didn't the first time I took one, and I am an SRO. YMMV.  8)

Fermi2

« Reply #183 on: Dec 01, 2010, 12:13 »
I took the POSS test yesterday for Entergy. There is no doubt in my mind that I did great on all parts except for the math!! I started on unit conversions. I did a few until I got to one that need a double conversion. Then I skipped the rest of the unit conversion and went to algebra. I completed all the algebra but that's it. The time expired! I was pissed! I know for the most part that the problems I did complete was pretty much right. I've been reading that I need to get 11 correct and if that's the case I should have no problem but I think I didn't answer enough to get my test graded. Can you guys please let me know what you think! By the way I'll found out tomorrow how I did!!  :D

Were did this mythical number 11 come from?

Offline Tigervision

• Light User
« Reply #184 on: Dec 01, 2010, 12:25 »
but I'm worried if i answered enough question??

Fermi2

« Reply #185 on: Dec 01, 2010, 12:27 »
First: 11 is not necessarily the number.

Second: If you did get enough correct and didn't complete enough questions it's a moot point.

Third: No one here knows the answer to your question.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #186 on: Dec 01, 2010, 12:28 »
I have no idea. I guess you have to sweat until tomorrow.  :P good luck and keep us posted!

Offline Tigervision

• Light User
« Reply #187 on: Dec 01, 2010, 12:32 »
hahaha Will do!  :D

Offline 2004blackwrx

• Very Lite User
« Reply #188 on: Dec 01, 2010, 04:57 »
Maybe this will help give you a little better idea of how you did. I took the POSS a couple of weeks ago for Entergy and passed. I was also concerned about whether I answered enough. Apparently, I did since I found out I passed. In the math section I answered all the easy conversions like you described. I also did all the algebra except maybe one or two. Lastly, I got about 1/3 of the word problems done. I can not be positive but I believe the ones I did answer were right. Hopefully, this helps you get a better idea of how you did before actually finding out. Goodluck, and do yourself a favor try not to think about it because at this point everything is out of your control.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2010, 04:59 by 2004blackwrx »

Offline Tigervision

• Light User
« Reply #189 on: Dec 01, 2010, 06:37 »
Thanks, that does make me feel a little better. Thank you guys for your input. I'll update tomorrow and let you guys know how I made out! :D

Offline Homer S.

• Light User
« Reply #190 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:27 »
I can't remember how many I finished on the long math but I know it felt like not very many and I passed, so don't sweat it. 

First: 11 is not necessarily the number.

Second: If you did get enough correct and didn't complete enough questions it's a moot point.

Third: No one here knows the answer to your question.

OMG!  BZ doesn't know the answer?  Hell must be frozen over  :o

Offline Tigervision

• Light User
« Reply #191 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:20 »
Here's an update! I guess I was recommend because I have an interview scheduled next week!! :) I'm one step closer! Now I have to nail the interview!! :) Thanks for all you guys input!!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #192 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:31 »
Congratulations and good luck!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #193 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:06 »
Here's an update! I guess I was recommend because I have an interview scheduled next week!! :) I'm one step closer! Now I have to nail the interview!! :) Thanks for all you guys input!!

Did you apply to river bend or waterford?  I just got hired at Riverbend, and Waterford wanted  to interview me on the 13th so you are going for one of the two.

This is how my interview went, lasted about 20 minutes. They didnt show me anything, and it was pretty simple really.
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,26272.msg134794.html#msg134794

Good luck, and if you are going to Riverbend, hope to see you on the 4th! :)

MeMike4611

Took Mass and Poss last week
« Reply #194 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:33 »
I took the Mass and Poss last week. I feel like I actually did too much studying. I reviewed old math books, took a look at the asvab book and just stressed this test. I feel like the asvab helped me brush up on my math skills, but the math section of the mass and poss are not as hard at the asvab, well atleast what i can tell from studying the asvab book.

What I recommend for people who are going to take the Mass and Poss test to do is, study the practice tests and the concepts behind the answers. If you know the reasons behind the mechanical concepts, you should be fine. Definetly work on your conversions, well atleast the timing. Make sure you read the question thoroughly because they do try to trick you.

Now I do have a question, the people running the test said they do not know how it is graded. I took the approach of if I don't know the answer, dont answer at all, instead of guessing. Does anyone know if thats how it works?

Also, I was told that you need a certain score to get Nuclear and another certain score to get into everything else. The people said that you either are recomended or not recommended, it doesnt matter if its nuke or say coal. Is this true?

Thanks!

Offline Rock Chalk Jayhawk

• Light User
  • Stay positive, and love your life!
Re: Took Mass and Poss last week
« Reply #195 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:47 »
There have been a lot of posts on here from those trying to figure out exactly how it's graded.  I treated it like:  attack the test, don't waste time on involved questions, and be accurate.  I'm guessing this is how you took the test as well.  There was nothing "hard" about the exam, but I found that I was constantly pushing myself to answer faster and faster.  I didn't feel I was sacrificing accuracy for speed, but I didn't second guess myself on it, either...I passed.

The answer I've concluded is that the only people who really know how it's graded are the people who administrate and grade the test.  So far as I can tell:  they ain't saying.  No worries, I'm sure you did fine.

RCJ
"A shortcut's a self defeating means.  If you cannot do it clean, you'll never reach your reward. And when the day is done, what you receive is the sum of what you took out from what you put in." ~311

timothymcf

Re: Took Mass and Poss last week
« Reply #196 on: Dec 23, 2010, 01:13 »
What I recommend for people who are going to take the Mass and Poss test to do is, study the practice tests and the concepts behind the answers. If you know the reasons behind the mechanical concepts, you should be fine. Definetly work on your conversions, well atleast the timing. Make sure you read the question thoroughly because they do try to trick you.

Thanks a lot for your informative post. I now know what I should do when I take the test. Thanks again. ;)

Offline ceefroe

• Very Lite User
« Reply #197 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:10 »
Update: I have an AO interview with Entergy on January 4th!

Willy

« Reply #198 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:49 »
Good luck to both of you guys.  Thank you for your post.  I took the POSS and MASS about a year ago.  I did not do so well.  I made the fatal flaw of spending too much time on questions that I did not know the answer to.  I read a lot of post, studied like crazy, and thought I had a good game plan.  I basically choked.  Hopefully I will get another opportunity to redeem myself.  Thank you again for your post it is very helpful for guys like myself.   

Offline ceefroe

• Very Lite User
« Reply #199 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:50 »
I have another interview for later on that day with an engineering firm. I sure hope something finally happens. "It can't rain all the time." It's a bit discouraging to graduate in May, and still not have a new job by the first of the year. Be patient and prepare yourself, Willy. I'm sure your time will come very soon if you put the work in to pass the tests.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?